View Poll Results: Button Smasher or Lazy Fingers
Button Smashing (2k Games) 38 46.34%
Trigger (EA Games) 44 53.66%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2009, 11:37 AM   #17
Banned

OVR: 14
Re: Button Smashing or Lazy Bones?

Having to tap a button to sprint is imo the worst control idea ever implemented in a sports game, especially football!!! I can't say this loud enough ... I HATE button mashing!!!!!!!

I'm ok with holding down a button, pulling back the trigger, or completely removing a sprint control, but PLEASE DO NOT bring back the button tapping!
Old 03-18-2009, 11:44 AM   #18
MVP

OVR: 27

Technically, the TCA system in Madden already incorporates button-mashing as quick moves in the grasp can break you free. I've done it a number of times.

Anyway, the trigger is lame. There is no timing involved, no skill involved, and no realism involved with it, because no Human Being can reach top speed immediately but with the trigger that's exactly what you're able to do. It's garbage.

The misconception about the tap is that the player runs faster than he's capable. Not so. The truth is, the tap only allows you to make your player reach his top speed and once you hit that plateau it begins to fall. Just like in real life, the guy grinding harder is going to win. It's a "who wants it more" situation. But at the same time, the tap does not allow a player who's rating is much slower to suddenly break away or catch you because that user is tapping faster. Again, it only allows you to reach that players top speed, no faster. If you're Adrian Peterson and your speed rating is 94 and a d-lineman is chasing you with a rating of 83, no matter how fast the guy tapping for the lineman is going he's not going to catch Adrian Peterson running at his top speed.

2K did a great job of planning that out to which they get little credit for. Whereas the trigger in Madden seems to have no real planning behind it, just "pull it and fly". Running in Madden is boring in large part because of that, and overall totally unrealistic. If what Ian is doing for 2010 will force us to be more conscientious with how and when we use the trigger than this might wind up being more realistic than what 2K was doing, but we'll have to see it for ourselves before we can be sure.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:02 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO

What I really want is turbo to be removed & replaced with a true analog system where I control my speed with the stick.
i wish this would happen.
read the holes by NOT holding the joystick all the way in a certain direction as you find the opening or cutback lane, then as you see daylight you push the joystick all the way UP to reach full speed (accelleration kicks in here too)

wanna juke, you better let go of the stick a little bit or youll trip as NOBODY can juke while running top speed.
i shouldnt 'slow down automatically' when i decode to do a move while running full speed........even a stiff arm
Old 03-18-2009, 01:24 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 14

I feel like they should not only implement tapping for running, but look into adding it into other venues. A couple of ideas would be kicking, defensive line/offensive line battles, tackling.

Rating would still be important, a K with a 95 power would need a lot less taps then a 85, a 97 strength OL would need a lot less taps to drive back a 87 strength DL, and a LB with 95 tackle would need a lot less taps to tackle a guy with a 85 break tackle.

The fun part would be with a 97 strength OL going up against a 95 strength DL, because the stats are so similar it would be a tug of war as to who would win the line battle.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:28 PM   #21
MVP

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomentousCeltic
Just take out any kind of sprint/turbo button altogether.
I agree with this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2009, 01:53 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 19

I prefer i a mixture of both. I hate just mashing buttons all the time. I think when your a running back trying to break a tackle, button mashing should be used. Or when playing in the trenches with a defensive lineman. I don't see a point to mash a button to run faster that just causes unneeded wear and tear on controllers.

-SO button mashing when battling with other players, but not in the open field.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:27 PM   #23
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

I dont like neither! I dont think either one is a good reflection of "kicking it into gear". I really dislike EA's idea of a sprint button. Im not sure of how many played football at any level but I dont remember sprinting all over the field everyplay. I do remember pushing it or "kicking it in gear" at the right time to run away from defender or to close in on the tackle though.

So thats what I want from my sports game a button for a quick burst and not sprinting. Sprinting should happen when you move in a straight line for more than 7 or so yards.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:07 PM   #24
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomentousCeltic
Just take out any kind of sprint/turbo button altogether.
Ditto. Always thought turbo buttons were stupid.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »