Home

Button Smashing or Lazy Bones?

This is a discussion on Button Smashing or Lazy Bones? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Button Smasher or Lazy Fingers
Button Smashing (2k Games) 38 46.34%
Trigger (EA Games) 44 53.66%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-18-2009, 05:34 PM   #25
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Button Smashing or Lazy Bones?

It would be great if this was an option. Which ever way you prefer...tapping a button, or pulling the trigger.

If the acceleration/deceleration is done well, myself I'd prefer the trigger. I'm just not a fan of button mashing. Seems to me, just too arcade like. Giving gamers options is always the way to go.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2009, 06:16 PM   #26
Pro

OVR: 9

I prefer the trigger...
Old 03-18-2009, 08:01 PM   #27
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

I really enjoyed the button tapping and holing to charge adn what not from 2k, however it gets to a point where the "pro players" get so silly good with it that you turn the game from a sim experiance to who can mask buttons faster/better. i am all for stick skills, but as was said early, this is Football not Street Fighter.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:13 PM   #28
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Deciding when you're going to put it in the next gear is a big part of football. I don't think I could play a game without a sprint button or tapping or whatever. I don't care which, just give it realistic consequences (easier to bring down and difficult to change direction) and I'll be fine either way.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:20 PM   #29
MVP

g2thecore's Arena

OVR: 22

I think I'm fine with the trigger. I HATED the "smashing buttons" for speed burst in 2K. That was probably my biggest turn-off in the game.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:02 PM   #30
Rookie

Deltron's Arena

OVR: 5

I like the button mashing for the aforementioned reasons, but Madden could improve if they mapped sprint back to one of the face buttons instead of the trigger. You guys are right that having to come off the sprint button to execute a spin move has a nice feel to it. I also think the button sprint was more versatile in the area of making cuts because the face button reacts faster than a trigger does.

I'd like to be able to feel my way into a running lane and then hold down sprint while pressing a direction so that it feels like I'm making a strong running cut. And then be forced to come off of the sprint button to slow up and make another cut. I think that would replicate the way that NFL runners actually run -- a pattern of quick acceleration and deceleration while making abrupt changes of directions.

I'd also like to see the animations really tied into the running. So that your initial speed burst near the line might look more like an aggressive, low center of gravity type move, while the longer you hold down the button (assuming you make it into the open field) the runner begins to raise his posture and transition into a full out sprint.

And besides all that, holding down a trigger for speed just makes it feel like you're driving a car rather than controlling a runner.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:09 PM   #31
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltron
I like the button mashing for the aforementioned reasons, but Madden could improve if they mapped sprint back to one of the face buttons instead of the trigger. You guys are right that having to come off the sprint button to execute a spin move has a nice feel to it. I also think the button sprint was more versatile in the area of making cuts because the face button reacts faster than a trigger does.

I'd like to be able to feel my way into a running lane and then hold down sprint while pressing a direction so that it feels like I'm making a strong running cut. And then be forced to come off of the sprint button to slow up and make another cut. I think that would replicate the way that NFL runners actually run -- a pattern of quick acceleration and deceleration while making abrupt changes of directions.

I'd also like to see the animations really tied into the running. So that your initial speed burst near the line might look more like an aggressive, low center of gravity type move, while the longer you hold down the button (assuming you make it into the open field) the runner begins to raise his posture and transition into a full out sprint.

And besides all that, holding down a trigger for speed just makes it feel like you're driving a car rather than controlling a runner.
I have to admit, I did not like speed being moved to the trigger originally, but I guess I have gotten used to it?

If I remember right it used to be on the "A" button for x-box, and that was definitely my favorite set up because as several of you have said, it forced you out of sprint mode to make any special moves, and seemed to react quicker than the trigger making the overall feel more realistic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-19-2009, 02:32 AM   #32
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
It would be great if this was an option. Which ever way you prefer...tapping a button, or pulling the trigger.

If the acceleration/deceleration is done well, myself I'd prefer the trigger. I'm just not a fan of button mashing. Seems to me, just too arcade like. Giving gamers options is always the way to go.
I also agree with this.
If you must have a turbo option, give gamers a choice.
If I must turbo, it's trigger.
I feel like Roy Rogers.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »