Home

Button Smashing or Lazy Bones?

This is a discussion on Button Smashing or Lazy Bones? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Button Smasher or Lazy Fingers
Button Smashing (2k Games) 38 46.34%
Trigger (EA Games) 44 53.66%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-22-2009, 06:46 PM   #33
MVP

seriousluboy83's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Button Smashing or Lazy Bones?

revive
Old 03-22-2009, 06:50 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 55

I'm a button masher too. I grew up playing tecmo super bowl so it was only natural
Old 03-22-2009, 06:59 PM   #35
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by IStillDoWhatIDo
Button mashing has recieved a bad rep these days. I remember when button mashing was considered a skill in video gaming. ie. how fast you can press a button.
Exactly...it's a video gaming skill. In other words, it has nothing to do with anything connected to the real world. I understand why some folks might think it's fun, but the arguments that claim it's more realistic are bogus.

There is nothing "sim" about Gamer A being able to make Reggie Bush run faster than Gamer B simply because A is better at rapidly pressing buttons. Anyone who claims otherwise is just plain wrong.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-22-2009, 07:01 PM   #36
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Its not like you are making them faster than they are. Once you hit A at a certain rat you are making them reach their top speed. So Reggie Bush still may get caught.

― Plato
Old 03-22-2009, 07:15 PM   #37
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
The misconception about the tap is that the player runs faster than he's capable. Not so. The truth is, the tap only allows you to make your player reach his top speed and once you hit that plateau it begins to fall. Just like in real life, the guy grinding harder is going to win. It's a "who wants it more" situation. But at the same time, the tap does not allow a player who's rating is much slower to suddenly break away or catch you because that user is tapping faster. Again, it only allows you to reach that players top speed, no faster. If you're Adrian Peterson and your speed rating is 94 and a d-lineman is chasing you with a rating of 83, no matter how fast the guy tapping for the lineman is going he's not going to catch Adrian Peterson running at his top speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Its not like you are making them faster than they are. Once you hit A at a certain rat you are making them reach their top speed. So Reggie Bush still may get caught.
The objection of the anti-button mashers isn't that Gamer A can make Adrian Peterson or Reggie Bush run faster than they're top rated speed, it's that the only people who can make these players play up to their ratings are the ones with highly developed button mashing skills.

The problem becomes even more pronounced on defense. In any sort of footrace situation (with all other things being equal) the player on defense is at a huge disadvantage, especially if said defender is at any sort of an angle relative to the ball carrier (i.e. he isn't either directly behind or alongside). If that's the case, it's game over. All too often you'll find that it's impossible to switch from tapping the speed burst to hitting the dive button quickly enough to make the play.

Keep the button mashing in Tecmo where it belongs.

Last edited by coogrfan; 03-22-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:34 PM   #38
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Even the casual gamer can get his player to top speed. You don't have to hit it 3 times a second to do it. Its not hard.

― Plato
Old 03-22-2009, 07:45 PM   #39
#HTownTakeover #YWCF

coogrfan's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Even the casual gamer can get his player to top speed. You don't have to hit it 3 times a second to do it. Its not hard.
Yes, but not as quickly or consistently as the button mashers can. Imo acceleration should be based solely on the on-screen players ratings, not on the twitch skills of the gamer controlling him.

To each his own.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:39 PM   #40
MVP

OVR: 20

Yes, this is a great idea. Rather than properly implementing the acceleration rating and making it mean something just make the user's button mashing skills override the ratings.

Isn't this one of the big complaints with user catching and a lot of the running moves out there? The fact that the user's button pressing overrides the ratings of the players. I know that here the speed rating wouldn't be overridden but you are basically saying button mashing should override the acceleration rating and that is just wrong. If they are going to leave speed burst in it should remain as a trigger. I would personally not mind the idea that has been mentioned with removing the turbo.

If we are looking for realism however what is so unrealistic about the idea of a sprint button. If a person is trying to sprint there are no real levels there. They are attempting to run as fast as they can. This is kinda a yes or no thing. When running with control there need to be levels which can be controlled by pressure on the stick but once you break out and try to reach top speed that is kinda a yes or no thing.

I am not saying that just because a player is trying to reach top speed means he should instantly hit top speed. Initial speed, acceleration rating, fatigue, solidity of the ground, etc should all be taken into consideration. Also, when running full speed it should be tougher to change directions, make moves, throw the ball, jump, whatever you try to do that takes any concentration or changing directions. Also you should become less aware of your surroundings causing any hits to the side to have a higher chance of being a big hit. Best example of this is on special teams, here players are trying to run full speed so anyone who gets hit from the side runs a pretty high risk of getting their bell seriously rung.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »