Home

Player position X/Hybrid?

This is a discussion on Player position X/Hybrid? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-18-2009, 02:19 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 19
Player position X/Hybrid?

Okay so after reading about Ian's Madden 10 3-4 teams post and seeing his remark about putting linbackers in more of hybrid positions I came up with this.

Using the Cowboys as an example...DeMarcus Ware is not a linebacker nor a defensive end. On their defensive he is an X-backer or X-end. He is only in coverage when the running back runs out to his side. If no RB comes out he is running for the QB. I would like to see this in Madden 10 with the 3-4 defense.

Dallas Cowboys:
RILB- Bradie James
LILB- Keith Brooking
LOLB- Greg Ellis
XLB- Demarcus Ware (for other teams this could be James Harrison, Shawn Merriman....)

The XLB positon should just be the linebacker in a 3-4 defense that rushes every play, unless the running back swings out to his side.

So what do you think?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2009, 03:35 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 26
Re: Player position X/Hybrid?

Thats an interesting setup. To simplfy things though they should allow you to designate who you want playing XLB instead of just making the XLB be a position. Reason being is people online could figure out which is your XLB and if he wanted more time he would instead have the RB run out to the same side as the XLB and he wouldnt have to worry about him. Make this a preplay setup or a depth chart setup. So during timeouts, halftime, ect you could change who the XLB is

I like the idea because you could move the XLB around the entire defense and if someone tried to get your XLB to not blitz he could make a mistake and the RB would leave the pocket and the XLB would come and rock him
Old 03-18-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 14

Interesting idea and I think to tie this in to the draft where there could be a fast QB you want to play WR you should have the option to change, or DE to LB, CB to SS like we see.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
Rookie

Glorious Arc...I really like your simplified idea of just designated an XLB during the preplay. Also good point of online users figuring who your XLB would be.

The only thing i left out is players should have an X position rating. Cause D-Ware as Lb he is not a true great player nor he is a great DE. But in the Hybrid X-position he is Monster and deserves a 99 rating.

This could aslo translate to offense too as in a case for Reggie Bush or like SwayGod53 a tweaner player coming out of the draft.

Ex:
Reggie Bush- RB: 75 ovl...WR...80...but as an XWR/XRB...85.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:52 PM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwayGod53
Interesting idea and I think to tie this in to the draft where there could be a fast QB you want to play WR you should have the option to change, or DE to LB, CB to SS like we see.
This is already in 09 Madden on the 360. It used to stop progression if you changed their info, position, ect but there was a patch that fixed that.

I think they should allow for any player to be at any spot on the field because players who make it to the NFL are diverse players. If I have a third string LB but he has lead blocking skills that are better then anyone else then Id want him at FB/TE but I would have to move him to FB/TE and he would grow like a FB/TE(I think not sure...) instead of a LB where I want him once my vet retires. They should have it like NCAA where if you wanted you could put a QB on your roster at saftey or TE without changing his offical position.

Players growing spefically for where they are positioned is stupid. They should grow by what you train them in/what they do on the field....end rant
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2009, 03:57 PM   #6
Banned

Sounds well and good but very few players change positions from college to NFL, very few. The XLB is cool, but as far as players changing to any position, I think they have it set up fine now.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:05 PM   #7
Rookie

Yea i wasn't talking about changing players positions. I was wanting a new position or preplay control to be created for the defensive.

Most NFL teams have a player on their defense that a play a role on their team like this.

Ex: DeMarcus Ware, Shawn Merriman, Joey Porter, James Harrison just to name a few.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:16 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadeEmAll
Sounds well and good but very few players change positions from college to NFL, very few. The XLB is cool, but as far as players changing to any position, I think they have it set up fine now.
I wouldn't say it's that rare, look at all the QBs who become WRs (Ward, Randle El, Cribbs, Brad Smith, etc.) Then you have a guy like Mike Furrey who went from a WR to Safety and back again, and of course Hester going from CB to WR.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »