Home

What would you rather have?

This is a discussion on What would you rather have? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Whichsstem is better?
The Number System 43 67.19%
The Perk System 9 14.06%
Both Combined In A Way 12 18.75%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-21-2009, 12:02 AM   #9
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)
Re: What would you rather have?

I never played APF ,but numbers allow players to be interchangeable and I like that especially at the college level!

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:49 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 13

I prefer the numbers, but first, EA has to make all those numbers actually mean something in the game before it even really matters.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:21 AM   #11
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthreemafia
I prefer the numbers, but first, EA has to make all those numbers actually mean something in the game before it even really matters.
This.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2009, 02:30 AM   #12
All Star

OVR: 33

If Weapons had practical applications instead of purely aesthetic value, then Madden numerical and skill ratings would be really good.

I'd rather a 1 to 100 scale of madden, then the 1-5 scale of APF.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:35 PM   #13
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

I think we should only see their 40 times, shuttle, bench, learning ability, etc.

Numbers are too unrealistic. I don't watch Santana Moss and say, "He has 95 speed, he should easily be open this play." It just doesn't happen that way.

We should see how they do in drills, and then have something that is for that specific position. A CB would have a rating no other postiion has like bump strength and ability, or route knowledge.

HB's would have vision, change in direction...

This would certainly be better.

― Plato
Old 03-21-2009, 09:42 PM   #14
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I think we should only see their 40 times, shuttle, bench, learning ability, etc.

Numbers are too unrealistic. I don't watch Santana Moss and say, "He has 95 speed, he should easily be open this play." It just doesn't happen that way.

We should see how they do in drills, and then have something that is for that specific position. A CB would have a rating no other postiion has like bump strength and ability, or route knowledge.

HB's would have vision, change in direction...

This would certainly be better.
Its not unrealstic its just a simple version of what your asking for! Can you imagine how complex it would be if we had to go through combine stats instead of numbers?

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:45 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

It would be more realistic. What player has 93 spd in real life? No one. Players have different top speeds every time they run. Not one time do they hit the same speed.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2009, 10:16 PM   #16
SHO
Give us a raise, loser!

SHO's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
It would be more realistic. What player has 93 spd in real life? No one. Players have different top speeds every time they run. Not one time do they hit the same speed.
If that player's speed is accurately portrayed in the why does it matter? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

Oh yeah, numbers >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> tiers/perks.

In APF, you rarely get to see who is faster/stronger or specialized than the other at their position unless they have Speed Burner, BAB, Quick Feet, etc. You really have to play with the players individually to actually who plays well. They are legends are typically remembered for specific characteristics which makes the tiers/perks easier to implement. It'd be too hard to do tiers for current rosters because of how subjective the attributes would be for 53 players of 32 teams. There were only a handful of legends in APF. Younger players and rookies would also be difficult to gauge. Numbers allow ratings depth and an opportunity to truly see the difference in abilities from players.

Although I would love to see more of players getting exposed when they are in a system they clearly aren't a good fit for. Whenever I see smallish linebackers like Nick Buoniconti and Chuck Bednarik in a 3-4 defense, I ALWAYS run right at them and they become non-factors. This isn't the case at all in Madden.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »