Home

Draft Overhaul?

This is a discussion on Draft Overhaul? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-20-2009, 10:23 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 19
Draft Overhaul?

Madden's draft process is garabage right now. A draft overhaul is needed!

1) There needs to be a fresh new menu screen for in-season and off-season scouting that is updated every week.
It should include:
- a draft board rating the top 32 players
- a positional ranking screen
- a current team draft order 1-32
- Mock Drafts(I want McShay and Kiper with draft boards to see)

2) The Scouting Combine
For me I don't want to compete in a combine mode, but i want the results of every player! Not just the ten or twenty players i select to scout.

3) Pro Day
This is simple. With a draft board of the top 32 players you should be able visit each a pro day. I say you are allowed to scout 8 player's pro day performances. This is not a mini game. Just scouting prospects, but when scouting the on pro day, you receive a rough ranking of his attributes. ex- Joe Moe rated 72-75 ovl.

4) Draft day
Draft day needs a better menu screen. The clock should be larger. Should have to make your own big board or have a scouts big board made for you. I'm not asking for a podium walk by, just better menus

5) Signing the snobs...I mean rookies
Signing a rookie should be more complicated. ESPN always talks about rookies wanting money according to where they were picked and blah, blah, blah. It'd be nice to see a holdout. Remember JaMarcus Russell holding out.

That's my idea. Sorry its not in the wishlist file.

Fell free to rip it apart
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2009, 10:29 PM   #2
MVP

g2thecore's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Draft Overhaul?

Wait....Didn't you just post the thread about the free agent signing process? Why didn't you combine these 2 topics into one thread?.....

Anywho..... I'm with you on this as well. Major overhaul is needed in the whole offseason process period.....
Old 03-20-2009, 10:33 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 14

I have to agree that the draft in Madden has always been a big letdown. That really stinks too because I think most of us franchise players would agree that the draft process could be one of the most enjoyable parts of the game (outside of actual gameplay). At a minimum after each team's pick there should be an "impossible to miss" audible and visual indication of that team's pick. In 09' there were many times when it didn't even show what the most recent pick was, it just moved on to state "Bengals are now on the clock". Very dull and hard to follow. Then when you went to the screen to see which players had all been drafted it just listed the players ... no mention of when they were drafted, or what team drafted them? Very pathetic for such an important aspect of running a franchise!

Not sure if this would be hard for EA to follow, but I'd also like to see the first year draft have accurate draft orders. For example in this year's draft, KC does not have a 2nd rd pick because of the Cassel trade. NE however, has three 2nd rd picks. Each team does not automatically have a 1st - 7th rd pick in the NFL. Because of trades some teams have extra picks, or at a minimum have switched positions with other teams. I'd love to see EA add that for more realism.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:43 PM   #4
MVP

g2thecore's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler99
I have to agree that the draft in Madden has always been a big letdown. That really stinks too because I think most of us franchise players would agree that the draft process could be one of the most enjoyable parts of the game (outside of actual gameplay). At a minimum after each team's pick there should be an "impossible to miss" audible and visual indication of that team's pick. In 09' there were many times when it didn't even show what the most recent pick was, it just moved on to state "Bengals are now on the clock". Very dull and hard to follow. Then when you went to the screen to see which players had all been drafted it just listed the players ... no mention of when they were drafted, or what team drafted them? Very pathetic for such an important aspect of running a franchise!

Not sure if this would be hard for EA to follow, but I'd also like to see the first year draft have accurate draft orders. For example in this year's draft, KC does not have a 2nd rd pick because of the Cassel trade. NE however, has three 2nd rd picks. Each team does not automatically have a 1st - 7th rd pick in the NFL. Because of trades some teams have extra picks, or at a minimum have switched positions with other teams. I'd love to see EA add that for more realism.
All very valid points. I agree with you on the fact that the draft SHOULD be a fun process of the offseason. In Madden it's the most boring thing ever. I hate to sound like a broken record, but they need to steal a thing or two from HC09....
Old 03-20-2009, 11:13 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by g2thecore
Wait....Didn't you just post the thread about the free agent signing process? Why didn't you combine these 2 topics into one thread?.....

Anywho..... I'm with you on this as well. Major overhaul is needed in the whole offseason process period.....
Yea i did just post the FA thing. I had them combined at first, but then i seperated them and since they really are two seperate parts of the offseason.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2009, 12:47 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 13

I like most of the ideas.

Only one I dont like is the mock drafts. Dont think those are needed in the game.

Here is what I would like to see....

During the season
-Allow us, if desired, to upload the NCAA draft classes for the next years draft at the BEGINNING of the season. That way, those players could go through everything in the game instead of the default draft classes.

-At the beginning of each regular season, have a list of the top 50 prospects from the next draft. Then have updated player ranking after week 8, week 17 and after the playoffs.

-Allow the user's team to keep an eye on 5 certain prospects THROUGHOUT THE SEASON. Like, if you know your team really needs help at the RT and FS positions, allow teams to keep keen eyes on players from these positions, and get extra info on them, like their college stats, interviews they have, any off the field issues they have, GPA, and any other info on them.

Offseason

-Combine - Obviously, this is an important part of the scouting process. The combine shouldnt be predetermined and should have a DIRECT affect on the draft. If a CB rated in the top 10 has a dreadful combine, his stock should realistically drop. Conversely, if a 4th round rated prospect has a phenomenal combine, his stock would rise.

-Pro Day - I dont think this is an ABSOLUTE must, but it would be nice. CLEAR17's idea was good.

-Coach Roundtable- Obviously, it can have a different name. Actually, it doesnt even really need a name. I think other coaches on the staff should have a say in what players they like. This could improve coach morale or rating if the team takes their suggestion. It should be based on who fits their system, team needs and personal tastes.

Draft Day
-Differing team draft logic - Teams should all have their own draft logic. Certian coaches/teams should lean towards BPA, some towards team needs, some being risk takers (taking risks on players with alot of potential, but not a great draft grade, or players with character issues). It'd be cool if all the coaches could have draft ratings and tendencies. For example....

Bill Belichick
97 Draft Knowledge
Leans towards: BPA
Risk taking: 83

A coach like this would probably hit on more players than miss. On the other hand...

Marvin Lewis
71 Draft Knowledge
Leans towards: Needs
Risk taking: 94

And a coach like this may have trouble in the draft.

I SHOULD MENTION THAT ALL TEAMS SHOULD MAINLY BASE THEIR DRAFT ON BOTH BPA AND NEEDS. For Example, if a coach/team leans towards BPA, it should still be based on needs as well. A team like the Steelers or Chargers wouldnt draft a QB in the first round. Ill go into more detail about this in the next segment.

-Improved Draft AI (for CPU) - The CPU AI should examine each teams needs ON DRAFT DAY, and draft based on that. That means, after FA and everything is done, the computer should figure out what each teams biggest needs are going into the draft. It should be based on all of the following criteria....

Lowest Rated position: Each position should have an overall rating, based on all the players ratings on that team.
Number of players at the position: If a team only has 2 CBs on the roster, the need for CB would be higher.
Player Ages: The Colts dont need a QB, but say it is 2013, Peyton Manning's career is winding down, the Colts could spend a early pick on a QB based on their other needs and who is available.
Prospect Ranking: Self explanatory.
Draft logic: See above.

Also, teams should adjust their needs as the draft goes on. IF I SEE A TEAM DRAFT 4 QBs or 5 WRs in the same draft, I am not going to be happy. Dont laugh, its happened before.

-Better Mix of Players and realistic draft spots: Some drafts should be top heavy with certian positions, but not overboard. There shouldnt be 7 first Rd rated QBs. All positions should get their fair due. I understand some drafts will be weak at some positions, but there should be a better mix.

Also, certain positions have are at more demand. For instance, more often than not, you arent going to see a TE taken in the top 5 (unless they are crazy good), or a 1st round kicker.

-Draft Day presentation: I honestly would just like it to feel more like the actual draft. I didnt mind how it was on PS2 (not sure how it is on next gen), but it would be nice if it was like PS2 with a little more flair.

A better intro to draft day. Have an NFL network announcer say something like "Hello football fans, and welcome to EA Sports Networks coverage of the NFL draft! We are very excited to see who goes where...." And so on. Just make it feel more authentic.

The first 3-5 picks could come out on stage and pose with a jersey of their new team with cameras flashing. Of course, you could skip it.

Beyond that, just have a backdrop of the stage with the draft pick sound and setup...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRuD9...eature=related

Doesnt have to have the commish come out for every pick, but it should be more lively and realistic than what it is now.

After each pick, you could hear boos or cheers, like in the PS2 version. BUT, you could also have a set of draft grades like...

EA Sports Networks Grade: B
Madden's Grade: B-
Kipers Grade: A-
etc

-Draft Busts and Steals: This could make the use of potential ratings, and actually make prospect scouting mean something. It shouldnt always be, you draft a player early, he automatically has the better rating.

If you dont do your research or homework, it should be hard to draft. Ratings should be a little more random. There should be a few late round draft picks that have ratings in the 80's. On the other hand, you should have 1st rounders that come out with a low rating. Doesnt mean they cant improve, but it evoke some more emotions. This has to be done right though. If you have too many busts or late round gems, it will seem unrealistic and annoying.

-Rookie contracts - There should be the occasional hold out. Rookie contracts should also be more realistic.

-UDFAs: There should be more than just a few UDFAs. Id like to see a practice squad and the ability to have more than 53 players on the team during preseason to make it actually, ya know...MEAN something. UDFAs are usually nothing special, but every once in awhile, there should be an Antonio Gates or a James Harrison.

Other suggestions/questions:
Why cant EA release draft classes? You guys could release an updated draft class monthly up until April. Dont see why not.

Better interaction with NCAA: If we import a draft class, it should transfer over more realistically. If a QB is rated 93 in NCAA, he should transfer over lower than a QB rated 86, at least not all the time. There should be a better method to the import mode, and a better interaction between the Madden team and NCAA team in this respect.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:21 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 7

Clear17,
Dude, this is exactly what I would want to see in Madden for the draft. I like that it's simple, yet requires some user interaction that IMO would be fun.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:51 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthreemafia

-UDFAs: There should be more than just a few UDFAs. Id like to see a practice squad and the ability to have more than 53 players on the team during preseason to make it actually, ya know...MEAN something. UDFAs are usually nothing special, but every once in awhile, there should be an Antonio Gates or a James Harrison.
...Jason Peters too! Like I said in a different thread I think it's silly you can't have over 54 players. Even after the draft you should be able to add rookies who fit your mold. I might find a fast and agile CB that I want to use for KR's or something. If the stats really mean something then every player should play different so it would be worthwhile to try different players.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »