Home

Pursuit rating, momentum and the speed burst

This is a discussion on Pursuit rating, momentum and the speed burst within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-20-2009, 10:37 PM   #1
Rookie

c dizzy m baby's Arena

OVR: 8
Pursuit rating, momentum and the speed burst

First off, it may be because I play mostly on All Madden, but every player in Madden, when playing against the computer, seems to take perfect angles all the time. The most notable being offensive lineman seeming to take perfect angles after Interceptions. The only time I see a bad angle is when I play rookie for fun. I hope this gets addressed with the new philosophy in the Ratings system.

Second, Ian has released the new blog about player momentum, in regards to defense especially I think this will be a great addition.

Finally, there has been a huge debate lately on this site about the speed burst and if it should be scrapped or not. I think it should be kept, but as others said there needs to be a noticeable penalty for holding it down all the time.

What do these 3 things have in common? Well imo with these minor changes that have ALREADY been addressed Madden 10 could potentially be vastly different.

First when taking an off tackle run for example I think there will be some incentive to not lay on the turbo trigger. After the snap you would lose agility and wont be able to find/get in the hole, so a player finds it best to wait on the sprint. Then once you hit the hole (without pressing turbo) hopefully the defenders with take their angle towards you accounting for the speed you are currently moving. Your player makes it to the second level and sees daylight, finally you hit sprint. With the changes to momentum and turning a player wont be able to completely change direction once he is heading full speed in a separate direction and wont be able to fix his bad angle that he took.

All this may be wishful thinking on my part, but I really feel that the "small" additions that have come out in these blogs will all come together and once they are all functioning as one will be better than any back-of-the-box feature they can come up with. How do you guys feel?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2009, 11:30 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Pursuit rating, momentum and the speed burst

They need to fix it to when you are not pressing the sprint you are running a nice run. But once you hit the sprint your guy takes a few steps to get to a high speed and from there on he has his head down and books it wtih moving his arms hard and pressing down with his legs extremely hard.

― Plato
Old 03-21-2009, 12:24 AM   #3
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

1st problem is there is no functional speed either your jogging or sprinting no inbetween.

2nd EA is using the sprint idea (running at full speed) when they should be using the burst idea (a quick increase in speed)

Player dont just sprint from the snap to the whistle. Most of the play players move at a functional speed which allows them to cut stop and start and change directions.

It should be a player nature to try to get to his top speed and not up to a button. If a player move in a straight line he should reach his top speed ,but his ability to make moves should be serious hampered based on his ratings!

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:20 AM   #4

SouthernBrick's Arena

OVR: 42

There's also a difference in your cuts, jukes, and spin moves take a player like sproles for "example". If you toss the ball to him in the back field he's either going to cut up the field in between the tackles or make it to the outside and make a wide turn. Now say he makes a wide turn and, is coming to the edge he can make a quick move without losing to much momentum. There are 2 types of jukes, if you juke hard its just like moving directly to your left or right and then starting back up again it will slow your momentum down alot. The 2nd juke is more of a open field kinda juke where you juke in a diagonal direction like this slash mark. "/" a diagonal angel you are losing less momentum but still going in the same rate of speed. So not every elusive move you do will cause you to slow down. If anything it slows down the defender, because they don't know what to do with a speedy back. Just when they think they got you a fast smart running back can make a move without slowing down much and, break away for a good gain as long as there is some kind of good blocking going on.

Last edited by SouthernBrick; 03-21-2009 at 02:02 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:56 AM   #5
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

da throne, it does work that way where at top speed you cant make the moves at will BUT the agility rating cancels that animation.

in this game agility is the ability to NOT slow down on cuts or turning.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2009, 11:59 AM   #6
Pro

Sigma4Life's Arena

OVR: 9

I think the game would be helped immensely by removing the speed burst button. It should play just like the NHL series. If you run in the same direction long enough you'll eventually hit full speed. It will help with the 'functional speed' aspect of the game that many have mentioned. Currently there's very little incentive to not mash the speed burst button from snap to whistle.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:14 PM   #7
Fire LesS Miles ASAP!

da ThRONe's Arena

OVR: 35
Location: Atlanta, GA (On unholy ground, NOLA still greatest city ever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalnirvava
da throne, it does work that way where at top speed you cant make the moves at will BUT the agility rating cancels that animation.

in this game agility is the ability to NOT slow down on cuts or turning.
Maybe you got a different versions then I did because none of that factor in to the game when I play Madden or NCAA.

I just hold the sprint button(stop calling sprinting a burst its not the same thing) and move around with no kind of penalty to fatigue or movement.

Number may not tell the whole story ,but they never lie either.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:42 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 25
Re: I'd like to see these things in '10

Make a target of themselves- When a player approaches the out of bounds boundary, they should stop (running towards the sideline) & turn facing the QB (making a target of themselves). I know that better route runners will not allow themselves to be pressed against the sideline by the defender so they can give the QB more room for the throw (maybe the route running rating can be used in this way). Better defenders try to press WR's into the sideline, using to the defenses advantage.

More Penalties- Horse coller, illegal formation, Hands to the face, Helmet to helmet hit, illegal contact, and taunting. Also, can we please have illegal touching. If a player goes out of bounds and is the first person to touch the ball...its a penalty.

Run Routes Correctly- Players don't give themselves any room to operate when they run routes, or once they catch the football, because they run routes all the way to (and most times through) the out of bounds boundary. The players should not let the route take them out of bounds, or even so close to being out of bounds that the momentum would carry them out of bounds if the ball is thrown.

Now, there are some routes that are designed to take the player out of bounds as part of clock management, or the coaches gameplan because the throw is safer for his QB to attempt. I'm not talking about these routes here. Short out routes, & deep out routes specifically.

Note: When I play Madden, I dont get the sense, or feel that my players are on the ground. I feel more like they are gliding or skating, than truely running on the ground.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »