Home

What presentaion aspects do you want to see in Madden 2010?

This is a discussion on What presentaion aspects do you want to see in Madden 2010? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-16-2008, 04:40 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 28
What presentaion aspects do you want to see in Madden 2010?

Ok this thread is kinda piggy backing the animation thread but is equally important. I didnt want one thread to have a whole bunch a clutter to it but rahter specific contribution ideas to madden. What Presentaion aspects would you like to see in Madden 2010? State specific instances and implementation ideas.

1. For me the atmosphere of NFL is a high energy feeling. I know when I go to a game the atmosphere and energy is so high the hair on the back of my neck stand up. So new game intro with pregame cutscenes and high intensity atmospehere feeling.

2. I would like a new stat overlay as well as commentary getting more involed in the situational events in the game involving certain players.

3. Cutscenes and aniamtions that involve the different emotions of the game. Like a players joy when making a big play or the players joy when his mistake cost the team. Coaches getting upset and my favorite, the mean straks that players have against each other. Jaw jackin and pushin and that sort of thing.

State here and be constuctive
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2008, 04:53 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 24
Re: What presentaion aspects do you want to see in Madden 2010?

Get rid of the stupid futuristic stat boxes and score overlays. Use ESPN for EVERYTHING. Use their MNF score box and their overlays. More stats shown, like season stats early in the game and stuff.

Have the players get pumped up on a big 3rd down stop or an interception. More emotion by the players.

And make each stadium feel unique. Get Terrible Towels in Pittsburgh, for example.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:54 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 24

As has been stated many times before, EA has the ESPN license, so use it.
I'm not talking just scores.....give me Sportscenter.......pregame, halftime, postgame interviews/analysis......highlights from around the league......etc.
And if for some reason ESPN says EA can't use their likenesses, then see if the NFL Network, Fox, CBS, or whomever will allow it.

Refs on the field and chaingangs are rumored to finally be back in 2010. Great start, but also have the chaingang actually come out on the field for a measurement.Also, when a penalty flag is thrown, have the refs huddle to decide who it's on. One more thing----not every ref is perfect, so....occasionally, have a penalty flag thrown, huddle the refs, then have a ref say (for example) "there is no penalty for block in the back, first down Cleveland..."

CG Madden has some decent cut-scenes, but can get goofy, what with my coach looking p*ssed after a call against the other team, coach walking onto the field instead of up and down the sidelines, etc.
Add these in, but fix them first.

TV style cameras........Skycam, sideline cam, blimp cam, etc.

Crowd noise!!!!!! And I mean LOTS of LOUD crowd noise!!! I wanna feel as nervous as I do when watching a qb on tv trying to call plays while thousands of screaming fans are making it deafening!(esp. in domes or the infamous Arrowhead Stadium!) Add animations of the qb trying hard to listen to the play coming in.
Also, show some empty seats if there's a blowout in progress, or if the hometeam really stinks.(Example---Detroit, lol)Lower the crowd noise in these instances. Show the remaining opposing team's fans whooping it up.......etc.In the history of video football games, I don't think this has ever been implemented; every single game seems to be a sellout till the very end, regardless of the score.... EA could really be innovative in this regard.

Add a sideline reporter.......

Last edited by Segagendude; 11-16-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:03 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 18

Make every game FEEL different.

New stat overlays - the one now is way too cumbersome, even at the top, as whenever there is a field goal opportunity you can't even see the ball because the ticker is in the way.

As far as raw atmosphere goes....

Dynamic sidelines, dynamic crowds - make these two groups respond accurately to play on the field.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:30 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 22

I'll say it again, If Tiburon fix every bug, fix every cpu logic flaw in madden and madden 2010 will feel no different then what it has in past years if the "atmosphere & presentation" is not redone...or if some serious work is not applied to this area...for 2010. This area must be addressed otherwise its NOT gonna feel any different then it has in previous years. Sure gameplay bugs, flawed cpu logic is vital but so is Atmosphere and Presentation ...in order to make that game "fun & exciting" to play..and isnt that equally important? It sure is....

1. Ton's of "various" cut scene's after big plays..for both good and bad plays. More emotion from coaches from the sideline..not "just" the head coach but what about offensive and defensive coordinators, watch a real nfl game on tv..they show this. Also, from time to time show players on the bench talking with thier teammates, players on bench getting ankles tapped up, helmets fixed,etc..make madden feel like a real tv broadcast..this is what gamers LOVE. Why do you think so many loved NFL2k5 Even WITH its share of flaws and bugs? ...because it had alot of this what im talking about.

Its VERY IMPORTANT that you put enough of these cut scenes in there, you put too little of them and it'll ruin the entire experience. Something so many developers that attempt implementing cut scene's into their sports game fail at.. they do NOT put enough variation. Its the same with animations, You must put a ton of different animations in a game to make it feel authentic..the same exact thing goes for in-game cut scenes..

2. Pre-game show - Another huge aspect at presentation/atmosphere is the pre-game shows that we all LOVE to watch on tv before the big game starts. Tell me this, do you all get pretty hyped watching the pre-game show? I sure do and just about all my friends do as well. On sunday, i always have my buddies over and they are ALWAYS over before the pre-game show so we can sit there and we can get insight on the big game before the game starts...why cant this be put into Madden for the gamer to get insight on the big game before we play? Have the game lay down some commentary on the two teams about to play, the weak spots, what each team needs to accomplish, what key players need to have big games, what each team's coaches need to implement,etc..stuff like that will really give off a real sense of Madden feeling more like a NFL tv broadcast then just a simple videogame...we WANT this stuff in a NFL videogame, trust me. And its not about just giving madden that authentic feel..at the same time it can give some insight into us gamers in maybe what we need to do to win.. give us some tips,etc..you know, it all can work for the feel and also insight in what we need to do to win...it all works out

3. Half Time show, why not a "REAL" half time show in with again, more commentary on what has happened in the 1st half of the game? Have some "voice" commentary of the big plays, bad plays, key injuries, injury updates, what needs to be changed/adjusted for the team behind to win the game or what needs to be done in order for the team in the lead to hold the lead,etc.. but USE the play by play guys commentary voice..not text..remember your target in a Videogame is to make it like the "real deal"... so why not go after it? Simply put... these are the things required in order to make a NFL videogame feel like the "real deal"..which is a real NFL tv broadcast.

4. Camera's... they play a big roll in atmosphere and presentation... in-between plays why not roll the camera around into the stands showing some fan's getting hyped, holding signs,showing emotion,etc..yeah madden attempted this before but failed at it because there wasnt enough variation of it ...again, far too little of it will repeat way too much.. variation is KEY and plenty of it is KEY.

Another thing is more dynamic camera's during gameplay.. when you toss a bomb.. have the camera sorta keep pace with the ball ..so its not so hard to defend the long pass..keep the camera chasing the ball some what..not too close but definitely not too far away neither..its way too far away during the long ball in Madden 09, too hard to defend imho

Or when a ball carrier is running the ball, maybe use more dynamic camera's when he gets tackled..sorta have the camera pan around right when the player hits the ground, while we watch the player get up, brush himself off..have the camera sorta pan around the player a bit closer.. thats what i mean by use more dynamic camera's and angles. Oh i ALMOST forgot.. give us a custom camera for the gameplay...please, this should be autmoatic for all sports game..gamers want "choice" and "options"..without it we feel boxed in or forced..we dont like that "forced" feeling

5. Something that totally baffles me with every madden to date and should be against the law for any NFL football game developer is letting the playoffs feel EXACTLY the same as a preseason game in Madden, how could they let this slide by year after year? Thats just down right wrong!! The NFL Playoffs and the Superbowl is the "heart & soul" of the NFL..no way should a playoff game in Madden feel "EXACTLY" the same as a preseason game in Madden..no way in hell!! Thats a disgrace to the NFL League imho.. this MUST be worked on for 2010..there's no excuse for it. Oh and the Superbowl REALLY needs more attention to the atmosphere... put in ALOT of time and effort for the superbowl and maybe even try and put some various superbowl scenarios as well so they are not the same each year for us that love to play Madden's dynasty mode.. you know, give us a bit of unique reward for making the superbowl two straight years in a row...

6. Player Emotion, example.. when my RB runs a TD, why do all the other players jog back to the huddle while the RB that just ran the TD is jumping up and down in excitement by his lonesome? ...come on, people once cried for gang tackles..remember? Well now we are crying "gang celebrations"...give us this and give us PLENTY OF VARIATIONS of this stuff and make it all "flow" well..what i mean by "flow" is that animation branches... like sometimes when i run for a TD..my RB Just sorta stands still like a statue...feels very unrealistic.

Another issue is after a play when all the players are jogging back to the huddle..they sorta have this stiff board look to them soon as they reach the huddle..and they all pivot around to the center of the huddle.. man you guys just dont know how bad this looks..or do ya? This NEEDS to be fixed..again,..it comes back down to that "flow" of the game that madden screws up so much in 09 and honestly..every madden in the past.

7. Sound and the Crowd - First off that non-stop/continuous roaring of the crowd MUST GO! Guys..madden has had that exact sound crowd sound since the first PS2 madden...this is UNCALLED FOR! Have you guys even thought about recording real crowd sounds for each stadium? Its a thought...but you dont even gotta do that..just get new crowd sounds put into Madden 2010... that right there if you were to change that would give madden a new feel to it..just that alone would do it... and maybe address some of the QB voice sounds..mix that up so different QB's hike sequence has different voice tones,etc...

8. More life needs to be addressed to the sidelines, its one of those things that we gamers like to see, We dont just want to see one coach, we want to see tons of team staff on the sidelines talking to players, working on players, kickers kicking the ball in the mini nets before an obvious field goal scenario, during cold games players warming up on warmup bicycles, players on the sidelines getting their leg stretched out, taped up,etc.. make the sidenlines very active... stuff like this is what we LOVE to see, Tiburon

If you guys want madden to feel completely new for 2010 (WE SURE DO!)..these are things... "cosmetic" things that MUST be addressed and i will say this..it would REALLY give Madden an entire new feel by just redoing this stuff for 2010. I have high hopes for Madden 2010 just because i sense a new enthusiasm with Ian,Phill and gang...i just feel these guys are on a mission to redeem Madden for 2010 and make it that game we all waiting for so long..i have VERY HIGH expectations..i really do. I been a forum member in here thats been on top of this by stressing over and over NEW CHANGE with the atmosphere and presentation for madden 2010..i feel its TOP PRIORITY to make madden feel new and improved for 2010..yes gameplay needs tweaking, the AI bugs,etc all need fixing ..i totally understand that but one thing thats just as important and seriously is the backbone of what makes a FUN and EXCITING sports videogame ....is how realistic the "Atmosphere & Presentation" is implemented into that sports videogame. The last game that approached this to a good degree was NFL2k5 and even that game didnt hit on all cylinders with it but it did do good job with it regardless.

I hope madden 2010 delivers on this aspect ..i really do because if it dont, even with the changes and fixes to the gameplay engine, AI logic,etc.. .Madden 2010 will feel exactly the same as it has for years if the atmosphere and presentation is not given a facelift, bottom line!

Last edited by Moegames; 11-17-2008 at 04:14 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-16-2008, 06:02 PM   #6
Fear Me

Kramer5150's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moegames
I'll say it again, Tiburon fix every bug, fix every cpu logic flaw in madden and madden 2010 will feel no different then what it has in past years if the "atmosphere & presentation" is not redone...or if some serious work is not applied to this area...for 2010. This area must be addressed otherwise its NOT gonna feel any different then it as in previous years. Sure gameplay bugs, flawed cpu logic is vital but so is Atmosphere and Presentation ...in order to make that game "fun & exciting" to play..and isnt that equally important? It sure is....

1. Ton's of "various" cut scene's after big plays..for both good and bad plays. More emotion from coaches from the sideline..not "just" the head coach but what about offensive and defensive coordinators, watch a real nfl game on tv..they show this. Also, from time to time show players on the bench talking with thier teammates, players on bench getting ankles tapped up, helmets fixed,etc..make madden feel like a real tv broadcast..this is what gamers LOVE. Why do you think so many loved NFL2k5 Even WITH its share of flaws and bugs? ...because it had alot of this what im talking about.

Its VERY IMPORTANT that you put enough of these cut scenes in there, you put too little of them and it'll ruin the entire experience. Something so many developers that attempt implementing cut scene's into their sports game fail at.. they do NOT put enough variation. Its the same with animations, You must put a ton of different animations in a game to make it feel authentic..the same exact thing goes for in-game cut scenes..

2. Pre-game show - Another huge aspect at presentation/atmosphere is the pre-game shows that we all LOVE to watch on tv before the big game starts. Tell me this, do you all get pretty hyped watching the pre-game show? I sure do and just about all my friends do as well. On sunday, i always have my buddies over and they are ALWAYS over before the pre-game show so we can sit there and we can get insight on the big game before the game starts...why cant this be put into Madden for the gamer to get insight on the big game before we play? Have the game lay down some commentary on the two teams about to play, the weak spots, what each team needs to accomplish, what key players need to have big games, what each team's coaches need to implement,etc..stuff like that will really give off a real sense of Madden feeling more like a NFL tv broadcast then just a simple videogame...we WANT this stuff in a NFL videogame, trust me. And its not about just giving madden that authentic feel..at the same time it can give some insight into us gamers in maybe what we need to do to win.. give us some tips,etc..you know, it all can work for the feel and also insight in what we need to do to win...it all works out

3. Half Time show, why not a "REAL" half time show in with again, more commentary on what has happened in the 1st half of the game? Have some "voice" commentary of the big plays, bad plays, key injuries, injury updates, what needs to be changes for the team behind to win the game or what needs to be done in order for the team in the lead to hold the lead,etc.. but USE the play by play guys commentary voice..not text..remember your target in a Videogame is to make it like the "real deal"... so why not go after it? Simply put... these are the things required in order to make a NFL videogame feel like the "real deal"..which is a real NFL tv broadcast.

4. Camera's... they play a big roll in atmosphere and presentation... in-between plays why not roll the camera around into the stands showing some fan's getting hyped, holding signs,showing emotion,etc..yeah madden attempted this before but failed at it because there wasnt enough variation of it ...again, far too little of it will repeat way too much.. variation is KEY and plenty of it is KEY.

Another thing is more dynamic camera's during gameplay.. when you toss a bomb.. have the camera sorta keep pace with the ball ..so its not so hard to defend the long pass..keep the camera chasing the ball some what..not too close but definitely not too far away neither..its way too far away during the long ball in Madden 09, too hard to defend imho

Or when a ball carrier is running the ball, maybe use more dynamic camera's when he gets tackled..sorta have the camera pan around right when the player hits the ground, while we watch the player get up, brush himself off..have the camera sorta pan around the player a bit closer.. thats what i mean by use more dynamic camera's and angles. Oh i ALMOST forgot.. give us a custom camera for the gameplay...please, this should be autmoatic for all sports game..gamers what "choice" and "options"..without it we feel boxed in or forced..we dont like that "forced" feeling

5. Something that totally baffles me with every madden to date and should be against the law for any NFL football game developer is letting the playoffs feel EXACTLY the same as a preseason game in Madden, how could they let this slide by year after year? Thats just down right wrong!! The NFL Playoffs and the Superbowl is the "heart & soul" of the NFL..no way should a playoff game in Madden feel "EXACTLY" the same as a preseason game in Madden..no way in hell!! Thats a disgrace to the NFL League imho.. this MUST be worked on for 2010..there's no excuse for it. Oh and the Superbowl REALLY needs more attention to the atmosphere... put in ALOT of time and effort for the superbowl and maybe even try and put some various superbowl scenarios as well so they are not the same each year for us that love to play Madden's dynasty mode.. you know, give us a bit of unique reward for making the superbowl two straight years in a row...

6. Player Emotion, example.. when my RB runs a TD, why do all the other players jog back to the huddle while the RB that just ran the TD is jumping up and down in excitement by his lonesome? ...come on, people once cried for gang tackles..remember? Well now we are crying "gang celebrations"...give us this and give is PLENTY OF VARIATIONS of this stuff and make it all "flow" well..what i mean by "flow" is that animation branches... like sometimes when i run for a TD..my RB Just sorta stands still like a statue...feels very unrealistic.

Another issue is after a play when all the players are jogging back to the huddle..they sorta have this stiff board look to them soon as they reach the huddle..and they all pivot around to the center of the huddle.. man you guys just dont know how bad this looks..or do ya? This NEEDS to be fixed..again,..it comes back down to that "flow" of the game that madden screws up so much in 09 and honestly..every madden in the past.

7. Sound and the Crowd - First off that non-stop/continuous roaring of the crowd MUST GO! Guys..madden has had that exact sound crowd sound since the first PS2 madden...this is UNCALLED FOR! Have you guys even thought about recording real crowd sounds for each stadium? Its a thought...but you dont even gotta do that..just get new crowd sounds put into Madden 2010... that right there if you were to change that would give madden a new feel to it..just that alone would do it... and maybe address some of the QB voice sounds..mix that up so different QB's hike sequence has different voice tones,etc...

8. More life needs to be addressed to the sidelines, its one of those things that we gamers like to see, We dont just want to see one coach, we want to see tons of team staff on the sidelines talking to players, working on players, kickers kicking the ball in the mini nets before an obvious field goal scenario, during cold games players warming up on warmup bicycles, players on the sidelines getting their leg stretched out, taped up,etc.. make the sidenlines very active... stuff like this is what we LOVE to see, Tiburon

If you guys want madden to feel completely new for 2010 (WE SURE DO!)..these are things... "cosmetic" things that MUST be addressed and i will say this..it would REALLY give Madden an entire new feel by just redoing this stuff for 2010. I have high hopes for Madden 2010 just because i sense a new enthusiasm with Ian,Phill and gang...i just feel these guys are on a mission to redeem Madden for 2010 and make it that game we all waiting for so long..i have VERY HIGH expectations..i really do. I been a forum member in here thats been on top of this by stressing over and over NEW CHANGE with the atmosphere and presentation for madden 2010..i feel its TOP PRIORITY to make madden feel new and improved for 2010..yes gameplay needs tweaking, the AI bugs,etc all need fixing ..i totally understand that but one thing thats just as important and seriously is the backbone of what makes a FUN and EXCITING sports videogame ....is how realistic the "Atmosphere & Presentation" is implemented into that sports videogame. The last game that approached this to a good degree was NFL2k5 and even that game didnt hit on all cylinders with it but it did do good job with it regardless.

I hope madden 2010 delivers on this aspect ..i really do because if it dont, even with the changes and fixes to the gameplay engine, AI logic,etc.. .Madden 2010 will feel exactly the same as it has for years if the atmosphere and presentation is not giving a facelift, bottom line!
I agree 100%....GREAT post and is the truth
“I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest – If you can’t take it, you shouldn’t play!” Jack Lambert
Quote:
“Quarterbacks should wear dresses.” Jack Lambert
Old 11-16-2008, 06:18 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 28

Also please get rid of the ring feature. With xbox achievments and PS3 trophies there really isnt a point other than taking up the valuable disk space needed for the ideas were bringing to the table.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:28 PM   #8
MVP

Stroehms's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookie48
Also please get rid of the ring feature. With xbox achievments and PS3 trophies there really isnt a point other than taking up the valuable disk space needed for the ideas were bringing to the table.

I agree. ^

I think they need to re-do the menus also.

New idea, how about when situations get tight, like a game tying field goal attempt or in the red zone late in a close game, the crowd gets extremely loud and completely drowns out the announcers.

I think that would make you feel like you were there. Ya know?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »