Home

Madden 09 isn't so bad.

This is a discussion on Madden 09 isn't so bad. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-25-2009, 09:58 AM   #9
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Madden 09 isn't so bad.

*Entertainment coming shortly*

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 03-25-2009, 10:06 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 3

I love Madden 09 fpr 360 (Madden player since 89) - The Robo QB and CPU running probs are fixable with ALOT of roster editing, which made the game ALOT of fun.

Obviously alot needs to be done, but I felt 09 version was first version since "next generation" systems, that shined. FG nets finally, stat overlays and 2 announcers was nice.

I also think its the game mode you play (online vs franchise).

I only care about playing 1 season w/my favorite team and winning the Superbowl (and hopefully get a celebration!) ..thats it.. no online, no multiple seasons. So I'm easier to please than a "Full Franchise" player, who needs NCAA classes, etc, and everything else.

There will be a ton of complaints after 2010 is released too. But sometimes you just need to kick back and realize just how good you have it (or load the Madden 93 version for Genesis off of Collectors Edition)
Old 03-25-2009, 10:10 AM   #11
Banned

OVR: 7

You are saying that Madden 09 wasn't good based on relativity and the success, or lack thereof, of the other NG versions that EA has put out.

To be honest, I can't even play one game of Play Now Madden to even have FUN... I wanted a football fix over spring break and went into my brother's room to play a quick game, and found within the first half that this game is far from even being enjoyable. IMHO, Madden on the NG console have been collectively some of the worst games I have ever played, and the worst sports game I've ever played.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2009, 10:10 AM   #12
MVP

Bgamer90's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by shad_moss93
Are you joking or are you being serious, because I can't tell. Are you seriously comparing a glitch that might only happen 1 in a million to game play of madden that can happen anytime.
I'm just basically asking his opinion on the video since as we all pretty much know, if the glitch that was in the 2k5 video I posted in madden (even if it only had a "1 in a million" chance of happening), people would be saying "Madden sucks!", "EA sucks!", etc...

I just find it funny that a lot of the problems that 2k football games had (overpowered running game, bad zone coverage, etc..) are never mentioned and/or talked about as much as problems in madden games.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:15 AM   #13
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13

Yeah, I dunno. This year's Madden was the first next-gen Madden I owned at launch. I did get some enjoyment out of it, yet there it sits again on my shelf. Even though it's a more polished game than NCAA '09, I play NCAA '09 much more b/c the online dynasty feature is a good hook.

Madden is just stuck in the same rut it's been in for years, and the controls have taken steps backwards. One guy above compared it to Madden '93 and said "look how good we have it", but while the game obviously looks a lot better, the physics engine feels like it hasn't changed in 10 years, and physics is EVERYTHING to a football game.

I'm not saying something like 2k5 got it 100% right either, but 2k5, for all its flaws, at least felt like it was trying to make a game play experience out of the many individual battles that comprise an NFL play. Like giving you real control to fight out of tackles with a ball carrier. Or watching a lineman use his superior strength or skills to push a defender the way it would happen in a game, rather than just suction block & release him for no apparent reason.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:17 AM   #14
Banned

EAreaper26's Arena

OVR: 9

uh oh...waaaaait fooor iiiitttt!!!!
Old 03-25-2009, 10:23 AM   #15
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgamer90
I'm just basically asking his opinion on the video since as we all pretty much know, if the glitch that was in the 2k5 video I posted in madden (even if it only had a "1 in a million" chance of happening), people would be saying "Madden sucks!", "EA sucks!", etc...

I just find it funny that a lot of the problems that 2k football games had (overpowered running game, bad zone coverage, etc..) are never mentioned and/or talked about as much as problems in madden games.
First of all, comparing extremely rare glitches (I've played 2k5 for 3 years and never seen that glitch you posted happen) in games doesn't tell you anything about the general fun or quality of the product. Second, comparing PS2/Xbox games like 2k5 to modern titles like Madden in terms of "glitches" doesn't work any more because of the whole "rush to retail; patch later" mentality. An error like the one shown in that 2k5 video could genuinely have been missed through even a stringent testing process, but there was no real mechanism for addressing those things in 2004, whereas patches have become the norm and the expectation in 2009.

Sure Madden would have gotten flamed if a glitch like that made it into their retail copy. But there's videos like that practically EVERY sports title ever released on these boards. Check out some of the videos on NHL '09, which is widely heralded as a sports game of the year contender. Those types of things don't stop people from buying games...I think the larger point is that the Madden gameplay is very mediocre and seemingly unchanged from year to year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2009, 10:27 AM   #16
MVP

sb24's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgamer90

Lol dont turn this into a 2k5 vs madden war. Those issues were talked about when it was madden 05 vs 2k5. Now it donesnt matter the issues of 2k5, its what they tried to do that everyone now wants. People NEVER say 2k5 is perfect (stupid if they do) but they talk about the great things it did.

Your trying to start a war if your going to start on to these glitch issues games have. People dont worship 2k they worship 2k5. If there was a 2k9 and they had the issues believe me people would be bit**in. How do complain about a game thats 5 years old. If they are still playing it they have accepted the issues. Just like the op accepted the isses of madden and enjoy it anyway

Point is enjoy your game and dont try to bring 2k5 into it. Theres reasons people feel the way they do. Go research those threads dont try to start bashing 2k5.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »