Home

Madden 09 isn't so bad.

This is a discussion on Madden 09 isn't so bad. within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 03-25-2009, 10:38 PM   #41
Banned

OVR: 3
Re: Madden 09 isn't so bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgamer90
I just find it funny that a lot of the problems that 2k football games had (overpowered running game, bad zone coverage, etc..) are never mentioned and/or talked about as much as problems in madden games.
here is your awnser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormjh1
I play NCAA '09 much more b/c the online dynasty feature is a good hook.
2k didnt get bashed for its short comings because there were so many positives and it had so much replay value.... just like ncaa 09...that game is worse then madden 09 by far, but it has features that make it fun. madden doesnt...

2k had some glitches, but it also had EVERYTHING you could possibly want from a football video game. if i could play 2k5 with new rosters online on the ps right now... i wouldnt even be here discussing madden
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2009, 10:42 PM   #42
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgamer90
I'm not trying to turn this into a madden vs. 2k war.

I like both games but all I'm saying is that both games have problems and also things I've noticed with how both are critiqued. Didn't mean for my posts to come off that way.
both games had their problems... but only 2k5 had positives
Old 03-25-2009, 10:47 PM   #43
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
Granted theres nothing I can do about Madden '09' being just plain boring to play.

But if it at least had cpu sliders [that were affective] the game could have been salvaged. I'm speaking only for myself.
THAT is a whole other issue, and I agree with you 100%. The poor presentation completely prevents the MOST important part of video gaming. FUN. You can play a sim game all you like, but FUN is what keeps you comming back. 2k5's presentation alone keeps people comming back. Forget about all the other things it does well. Many people have said and I tend to agree that if Madden tried to take better advantage of the ESPN/NFL Network licences and really gave you that TV feel and great presentation and options to turn things on/off and set replays and cut sceens to frequent/occasional/off like 2k5 did would be great. I like how in Madden 04-ish the play calling menu was given a scren where you could see the players on the field/replay.

In 2k5 when you pressed a button to "skip" the cut sceen, he cut scen moved down into that same box area while you went to call your play. The bordcast concept along with solid pre-game/in-game/halftime/post-game features really immersed you into your footbal gaming experiance.

I really don't like to get into 2k v. madden wars. I am just saying that on a presentation end madden is and has been lacking for years and this is a legetiamte complaint that EA has yet to rectify. Ian has been quoted saying that he studies the heck out of 2k5 and his goal is to never be compared to them again. [of cource unles it is how madden 10+ is better]

I can only assume that he intendeds to give Madden NFL 2010 a MAJOR overhaul in the presentation side of things as well as gameplay. When you concider how much they HAVE accomplished already and that they have about 2months more to work on the game, I think you will agree M10 looks promising.

Last edited by PGaither84; 03-26-2009 at 03:38 AM.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:52 PM   #44
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjay14
madden 09 was the 4th next gen version of the game and it still was a terrible game. the gameplay stunk, it lacked feature weve had for years, there were a good share of bugs and glitches, and online leagues where a joke.... other then graphics, the game really has nothing going for it.

its easily one of the 2 or 3 worst maddens to ever come out
While my thread is titled Madden 09 isn't so bad... I'm going to say I agree with you. My real point, adn I will keep this short, is that a lot of the things I read and see people complain about are unfounded. There are glitches and exploits.

The real downfall of 09 is what you said: The lack of features we have had for years. Madden 09, honestly fails to live up to the standards set by older Maddens. Poor franchise, no refs/chain gang, poor clock rles, poor nfl rules and others make this game one of the worst ever. I hope this makes sence to all of you...
Old 03-25-2009, 10:54 PM   #45
MVP

OVR: 15

Remember in Madden 08 how whenever you edited a player in franchise mode his information like draft position and college disappear? Yeah, that glitch is in Madden 09, too.

The 'greatest football game ever' should at the very least fix the previous versions screw ups.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2009, 11:06 PM   #46
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84

I can only assume that he intendeds to give Madden NFL 2010 a MAJOR overhaul in the presentation side of things as well as gameplay. When you concider how much they HAVE accomplished already and that they have about 2months more to work on the game, I think you will agree M10 looks promising.
Excellent post in it's entirety PG.

Yes I do agree Madden '10' does seem very promising.

I think I understand what you meant about Madden '09'. That with really very little presentation value, and a lack of overall depth to franchise mode...all people had to focus on was the game play. And it stuck out like a sore thumb.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:53 AM   #47
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
OMG! Issac Bruce beat man coverage? Bruce out ran Defensive ends and Devensive tackles? All Bruce has to do is beat man coverage and he beats the play. everyoe is chasing him. The real problem is that your can't aslo assign for the safties to SHADE him on one side and the corners the other sifde to keep them from getting beat in Man. the lack of proper man assignments is the busted part. There is only one type of man coverage in Madden and hey all did what they were told. you could have had the 49ers covering him too. It still would have been beat.

That's not a flaw in man coverage but a lack of depth in assignments. They are AI players and they do what you tell them to. Then again I doubt you even understad what i'm saying.

I LOVE the line that ratting mean NOTHING. go to player editor and tell a Defensive tackle ot be QB and try throwing passes. See how far that gets you. Try throwing passes to TERRIBLE recivers and NOT user catching them.

The problem is that USER controls dominate the game and their rattings. I am sorry if this is new news to you.
Seriously, stop trying to convince yourself that Madden 09 is a good game. I don't care what explainations or justifacations you might have, there's is no way that a WR should be able to get open and catch a pass when the entire defense in covering him.
Also, a 160 pound RB with a zero strength rating shouldn't be able to run over a 270 pound defensive player.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:23 AM   #48
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
I am sick and tired of people complaining that you cant play a sim game on Madden 09 and that it is crap because there are things that you can do to exploite the game and wha wha.

When I see videos and comments about people complaining about geting intercepted by a MLB when who is 15 yards away from their intended target becasue they threw a bullet with lead up, i can't help but scream to myself "WHY DID YOU THROW A BULLET?!?" There are so many BAD Madden players out there who don't understand the finer points of the passing and running game and then when they do something wrong they blame the game.
The problem here is there is no middle ground. If you try and put some touch on your passes, it's going to shoot up in the air and hang up there forever giving a chance to the defense to catch up (I think they've rectified this for Madden 10). Watch players like Cutler or Joe Flacco, they hit a lot of intermediate passes and they put a lot of heat on their throws. You can throw a hard pass without it traveling in a direct line, but this wasn't really possible in Madden 09. Getting picked off by a LB when your WR is running up the seam of a cover 2 defense is annoying when you're trying to lead him. If you try and lob it, the safeties will have time to recover, if you throw the bullet, it might not get over the LB. I'm pretty sure one of the blogs Ian put out acknowledged this problem and is fixing it. It's not necessarily USER stupidity, it's an acknowledged flaw by the development team.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »