Home

Ian or Phil - What are your Thoughts on a Play Editor?

This is a discussion on Ian or Phil - What are your Thoughts on a Play Editor? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 11:42 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Ian or Phil - What are your Thoughts on a Play Editor?

I'm just throwing this out there for discussion. Many of us want it. Head Coach had one this past year that was limited in some ways. What are you thoughts of Madden having one that allows for a set number of creations like NFL FEVER used to have?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Ian or Phil - What are your Thoughts on a Play Editor?

Not Ian (obviously), but I'd love to see not only a play editor, but a complete playbook creator. Even if it were to limit us to in-game formations, if we could create an unlimited (or reasonably high; given hard drives, I don't see how space should be a problem, however) number of plays out of each particular formation and have them organized in the same manner as an on-disc playbook, I'd be a very happy football gamer.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 12

My cynical side is telling me that the play editor is being kept in Head Coach only, to get people to buy it and use it with Madden.

EVEN though Madden used to have a pretty good play editor a few years ago.

I think it's a money-making decision to NOT include it in Madden and to put it in Head Coach.

My fear is that one day Madden will lose a lot more Franchise features to Head Coach.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:44 PM   #4
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netherscourge
My fear is that one day Madden will lose a lot more Franchise features to Head Coach.
I wouldn't quite say that. Personally, I don't anticipate Head Coach being an annual release. With that said, I don't think they would intentionally keep franchise features out of Madden in order to have Head Coach stand out.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:42 PM   #5
Turn 10 - Microsoft

OVR: 26

My thought on a play editor is that I love the idea. I actually designed the play editor that was in our PS2 and Xbox products. I had help of course but I owned that one.

Designing a play editor is complicated. Compared to other features, it's actually a very involved process. It's also a HUGE bug generator and play balance concern.

Let me ask this question. Would you rather have a play editor built into the game that basically matches the Head Coach game or would you rather have something on the web, that allowed better control and customization options?

Phil
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2008, 02:46 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 27

Madden needs more stuff in the game. More options, more choices, more value features that are local and readily available.

A play editor would certainly be a good start. And if it's possible to port the code in some way from something already created and running well (Head Coach), I'd do that instead of trying to devise something totally new from the ground up.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:02 PM   #7
Pro

boooey's Arena

OVR: 14

a stadium creator/editor would be kinda cool also
Old 12-05-2008, 03:04 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 11

I use my computer often so I wouldn't mind. NASCAR 09 had a paint booth feature of being able to upload your own car designs and I loved it. I've never played Head Coach but if you did do a Web Based play creator then I think you'd have to make it in flash. The reason I say this is because a normal HTML type always feels clumsy and unresponsive.

So my answer is that I think it would be easier and more user friendly to use a Head Coach P.E. in Madden 2010, but If the web based editor was done very well then I'd prefer that.
24-8 Madden 12 Record.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »