Home

Just 4 months ago...I think we're turning a corner...

This is a discussion on Just 4 months ago...I think we're turning a corner... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-26-2009, 02:54 PM   #89
MVP

OVR: 52
Re: Just 4 months ago...I think we're turning a corner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
As much as I want to agree with this post,

Every year EA comes out with this new, shiny, phenomenal marketing scheme for Madden. Community interaction just seems to be the flavor this year. I'm not hating on it however, because it's brilliant in 2 ways:

1)Who doesn't want more interaction? Ian and the gang are doing us a great service by being here.

2)It's quite brilliant. Brilliant. They know millions of people will buy Madden regardless. No need in overwhelming them with blogs and interaction and the such. It's the hardcore community that has soured on them the last couple of years. Pacify them and you take the heat off of your game from a whole different base.

But honestly, every year Madden claims they have "fixed" the game. And the same issues come up in the game that have been going on for 1,2,3.....er 15 years. I remember when Madden 2004 was supposed to be the second coming of Jesus Christ (there was even this overweight developer shamefully hyping the game up while putting NFL Fever and 2K down every chance he got). Turns out that game was the biggest cheesefest in the history of cheesefest video games.

Sorry, but I've been a pessimist of this video game for 9 years (except Madden 2003 which was quite good) and I will not stop now.
This is an interesting point of view. I think it's fair to clarify that this communication has nothing to do with "EA". This is 100% our own doing, not some brilliant marketing or PR ploy. To be frank, our PR and marketing teams plus our executive staff didn't want us here at all...it is a scary notion that we're talking about the game so openly and also making changes so regularly.

To those that would rather stay in the pessimistic camp, I really don't have a problem with that - you have that right and honesty I kind of expect that given how the game's vision has (mis)aligned with the community's over the last few years.

On a side note (not referring to you Rocky) -

I would also say I do have a right to start a thread like this just like any one of you has a right to start a thread talking about how much you hate something EA has done. This thread is not to gloat of course (that's honestly ridiculous...to think I would gloat when no one has even played the game yet) - but to show signs that our team (with the help of the folks on this forum) is moving in the right direction, and that those who want to be involved can get on the train.

There will be those of you who want to stay back, continue to hate because of previous years, and call me or EA stupid. No biggie - you guys every right to do so. But by doing so I think you might miss out on a pretty new experience - one of basically "co-developing" the biggest sports game in video game history. I think it's pretty a cool situation we're in.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:00 PM   #90
MVP

studbucket's Arena

OVR: 8

Ian, I have been a ***** for 5 years...but you rock, and I am excited and giddy for Madden for the first time since I picked up Madden '05 for the PC in September 2004.

I understand what it takes to develop something and fix all of this legacy code, and I am in awe of how much is getting done.

🏈RIFLE - a dystopian football league.

🏀Bringing Back the Buzz - my first dynasty.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:02 PM   #91
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
As much as I want to agree with this post,

Every year EA comes out with this new, shiny, phenomenal marketing scheme for Madden. Community interaction just seems to be the flavor this year. I'm not hating on it however, because it's brilliant in 2 ways:

1)Who doesn't want more interaction? Ian and the gang are doing us a great service by being here.

2)It's quite brilliant. Brilliant. They know millions of people will buy Madden regardless. No need in overwhelming them with blogs and interaction and the such. It's the hardcore community that has soured on them the last couple of years. Pacify them and you take the heat off of your game from a whole different base.

But honestly, every year Madden claims they have "fixed" the game. And the same issues come up in the game that have been going on for 1,2,3.....er 15 years. I remember when Madden 2004 was supposed to be the second coming of Jesus Christ (there was even this overweight developer shamefully hyping the game up while putting NFL Fever and 2K down every chance he got). Turns out that game was the biggest cheesefest in the history of cheesefest video games.

Sorry, but I've been a pessimist of this video game for 9 years (except Madden 2003 which was quite good) and I will not stop now.
I agree but in all fairness the Madden series has gotten better over the last 4 years on next gen but is still behind last gen football games. I think the Madden series is on the right track.

I try not to post here because I am really critical of Madden next gen and even last gen Madden. NFL 2k5 is the best NFL game and APF2k8 is the best playing football game IMO but I have to give props to this current team and hope for the best.

Peace
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2009, 03:04 PM   #92
Banned

FootballDetails's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
...the biggest sports game in video game history.

Now that's the type of confidence I like to hear!

But biggest isn't the same as greatest. I hope Madden 10 is both.

The Online Franchise discussion will be fun.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:06 PM   #93
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
This is an interesting point of view. I think it's fair to clarify that this communication has nothing to do with "EA". This is 100% our own doing, not some brilliant marketing or PR ploy. To be frank, our PR and marketing teams plus our executive staff didn't want us here at all...it is a scary notion that we're talking about the game so openly and also making changes so regularly.

To those that would rather stay in the pessimistic camp, I really don't have a problem with that - you have that right and honesty I kind of expect that given how the game's vision has (mis)aligned with the community's over the last few years.

On a side note (not referring to you Rocky) -

I would also say I do have a right to start a thread like this just like any one of you has a right to start a thread talking about how much you hate something EA has done. This thread is not to gloat of course (that's honestly ridiculous...to think I would gloat when no one has even played the game yet) - but to show signs that our team (with the help of the folks on this forum) is moving in the right direction, and that those who want to be involved can get on the train.

There will be those of you who want to stay back, continue to hate because of previous years, and call me or EA stupid. No biggie - you guys every right to do so. But by doing so I think you might miss out on a pretty new experience - one of basically "co-developing" the biggest sports game in video game history. I think it's pretty a cool situation we're in.
Word.

People have nothing to lose by joining the party and offering commentary and constructive criticism to the developers when they ask for it. I don't get the people who just say "EA is full of ****, this game will be garbage." Even if that is the track record they have, don't you want this game to be good? Senselessly calling BS every time someone from EA posts here is of no use to anyone.

I look at it this way:

If I contribute and offer opinions and constructive criticisms of the game and my input is reflected in the game, then I feel like I've contributed something. If I contribute and nothing I say is included, then I haven't really lost anything. However, if I don't contribute and just spew negativity then I may feel pretty dumb if the game turns out to be alright. If I spew negativity and the game blows, then I haven't really gained anything.

By contributing you have nothing to lose and something to gain.
By being negative and abrasive you have nothing to gain, but something to lose.

Which seems like the better road? I think the former sounds like it has the greater upside. I understand the bitterness and frustration over past games - believe me, I am right there with everyone else. I'd just rather root for the game to be good instead of expecting it to be bad and looking for things to dislike. Seems like I'd just be convincing myself the game is trash if I took the latter approach.

Last edited by StevieTheD; 03-26-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:12 PM   #94
Banned

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Details
Now that's the type of confidence I like to hear!

But biggest isn't the same as greatest. I hope Madden 10 is both.

The Online Franchise discussion will be fun.

I like the way you think details
Old 03-26-2009, 03:13 PM   #95
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
I was kinda half-joking when I made that statement. I have no idea what goes on in the EA marketing department. I do know that EA is a multi-billion dollar corporation with a great marketing department (in an sneaky, underhanded yet brilliant kind of way). If this was a marketing ploy by EA, than it was a good one and your marketing team should be commended. Maybe one of you guys have a future in that one day.

Many developers have probaly wanted to interact with the base more often. I can only imagine it being frustrating to hear grown men bash you product unmercifully without having the slightest clue with all that goes on. Credit goes to you guys for taking the initiative to do this.

I do think a segment if us find it disingenuous to put out a screen with DOF or refs or chain gangs or towels when either a) it has been done before by another game or b) and even worse, it has been done by the same game on the last generation of consoles. Traditionally, you don't hype those things up. Traditionally, you sneak those things in while hoping that people don't tar and feather for taking so long to put it in.

We don't have no problem with the screens themselves. They're gorgeous shots. Just the gaga over things that should have been in the game eons ago. But the vast majority of people seem to like those sort of things....just call me when we have realistic routes tied to QB drops in the passing game, defenders who can't run from one side of the field to the other without obeying the laws of physics, after 15 years the death of suction blocking, etc. And those things won't be resolved in my mind until I actually get the game. That's at least my pessimistic mind state.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2009, 03:18 PM   #96
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
lol - I have this post saved as well:
Negative motivation is sometimes the best way to get things done. I mean success is the best kind of revenge!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »