Home

Just 4 months ago...I think we're turning a corner...

This is a discussion on Just 4 months ago...I think we're turning a corner... within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
Madden 22 Gameplay in 4K: Full Game With Presentation Between Packers and Bears
NASCAR 21: Ignition Announced, Releases on October 28 - Trailer & Some Details Revealed
FIFA 22 Career Mode Deep Dive: What's in and What's Not
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 03-26-2009, 06:19 PM   #129
MVP

OVR: 39
Re: Just 4 months ago...I think we're turning a corner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
This is an interesting point of view. I think it's fair to clarify that this communication has nothing to do with "EA". This is 100% our own doing, not some brilliant marketing or PR ploy. To be frank, our PR and marketing teams plus our executive staff didn't want us here at all...it is a scary notion that we're talking about the game so openly and also making changes so regularly.

To those that would rather stay in the pessimistic camp, I really don't have a problem with that - you have that right and honesty I kind of expect that given how the game's vision has (mis)aligned with the community's over the last few years.

On a side note (not referring to you Rocky) -

I would also say I do have a right to start a thread like this just like any one of you has a right to start a thread talking about how much you hate something EA has done. This thread is not to gloat of course (that's honestly ridiculous...to think I would gloat when no one has even played the game yet) - but to show signs that our team (with the help of the folks on this forum) is moving in the right direction, and that those who want to be involved can get on the train.

There will be those of you who want to stay back, continue to hate because of previous years, and call me or EA stupid. No biggie - you guys every right to do so. But by doing so I think you might miss out on a pretty new experience - one of basically "co-developing" the biggest sports game in video game history. I think it's pretty a cool situation we're in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
You say that and then you say another overstatement. Please find me a blog where Ian or anyone on the team says "its gonna be one of the greatest experiences in gaming history".....I'll wait.

You wont find it. Now Ive seen people here hype it up as it being great but no one on EA. He says it will be much improved and from everything I've seen, it appears he's right. The only way it will be an embarassment is if its worse than last year and thats not likely. Most gaming sites loved last years game and most people liked last years game. EA isnt riding on the release of Madden 10.
Hey I found one J.A right in this very thread..do I win a prize?
Old 03-26-2009, 06:21 PM   #130
Banned

OVR: 35

Quote:
I guess its easier to spout nonsense then actually back it up with fact. Thats the beauty of the internet.
No nonsense
Old 03-26-2009, 06:22 PM   #131
Banned

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by thudias
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2009, 06:22 PM   #132
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBoweshow8282
Im not saying that i dont believe that Ian and the crew will be able to pull it off. If they can keep going at this pace (posting significant weekly blogs, interacting with the community, and making changes based on feedback.) they may very well be able to pull off what most people on these boards would call "THE" year.
While I quoted you, I was also making a general statement. I agree with you 100% in the above quote.

While I know Madden 10 won't be perfect, I think it will go a LONG way to restoring the glory of the previous generation of NFL games.

IF you will allow me a tangent, I would like to share alittle bit of my NFL gamine experiances and memories.

Asa child my first real experiance with football gaming was with Troy Aikeman footbal for the SNES. I have always liked defense and Ronnie Lott. I loved to play the franchise mode and lead my 49ers to the superbowl on easy or normal dificulty. Young to Rice all day.

When the Playstation came out my friend had Gameday. Our 7th grade teacher loved to play Football and he would hold after school football tournies and leagues. this way we got a goup about 12 people who would play about twice a week [Tuesdays and thursdays].

This was a lot of fun and the most simple things in Gameday and Madden for the N64 had us going "Wow!" I think it was Madden 99 that had big presentation eatures. When the QB came out of the hudle and lined up over center, or you called audibles, he wouldn't just stand there and have an audio file bark out noise, he actuall moved his head adn body and pointed and such. When you got a big play there was cut sceen of players from your team cheering you on. I remeber getting interceptions with Merton Hanks and a cut sceen of Rice, Young, and a lineman in all thier polygone blocky glory were there calpping before they had to come on field. When I score you would see Ken Norton Jr and Bryant Young and others clapping.

Latter came Dreamcast adn NGC and PS2. My friend played NFL 2k2 on his dreamcast while i had Madden 02 on my NGC. We would flip back and forth between games. Both did great things that th other did poorly. In 2k you could return a missed FG I did it twice, in Madden you had a deep franchise mode. In the end Madden won out and my friend bought a NGC of his own and madden 03. We played that thing to death... we had to get another copy after about 6 months becasue we played it so much that even with care it got too scratched.

Madden 04 came out and for the first time ever my friend became FLAT OUT better than me at Madden. Of cource it had a lot to do with playmaker exploits and supperior stick skills where there wern't enough defensive counters.

2k5 came out. That's all I have ot say about that.

Then we played Madden 06 & 07 and LOVED the depth of franchise, playmaker controls on offense and defense, the refinements and tools. Our biggest complaint was that over a short amount of time we went from Madden N64 to Madden 2002, yet Madden 2002-2007 did very little in the visual department.

I bought my 360 and Madden 08 almost a year ago to this day and long story short here we are now. There have been up and downs and a lot of fun inbetwen. I hate to sound like a broken record Ian, but Madden 09 just isn't that much fun. In fact my friend and I haven't had fun playing Madden since we played 07 for my original Xbox. I am looking forward to M10.

Madden, and Football gaming, has been a big part of my life in regards to entertainment and it is has been in a sad state you a few years now. Ithink a lot of people feel the same way and I am glad to see what you are doing and want to thank you yet again for all the hard work. It means a lot to me.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:58 PM   #133
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
4 months ago this was quite an epic thread about refs and chain gang, which got QUITE heated:
http://www.operationsports.com/forum..****e-false.html

My favorite quote is below - from my boy Tyrant8RDFL from Queens (which I've actually had bookmarked all this time):

And now here we are, 4 months later worth of interaction, suggestions, changes, and information, and here is Tyrant's most recent post:

Woohoo! Turnarounds like this make us happy...this has been a KEY goal for us all along - to truly prove to our loyal fans that our new design team isn't messing around.

There's still a long way to go - and believe me I'm not saying we've won the battle because we aren't even close to done (and no one has even played the game yet), but it does feel good that at the very least people can see our vision and improvements, and get on board that we're all in this together to make the best game possible. It's been an exciting ride so far, that's for sure.

Ok, enough retrospective...back to work.

sweet...

now get to work on those camera angles(madden long!) and online franchise or we'll be righ tback to bashing you guys
Old 03-26-2009, 07:26 PM   #134
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBoweshow8282
Agreed...Ian has set our expectations very high, and if the game fails to meet our expectations, i dont think if would be an overstatement to say its one of the biggest video game let downs.
I hear what you are saying, but I respectfully disagree.

Biggest video game let down in history? I don't put much merit into because I just play video games for pleasure, like going to a movie or out to dinner. I don't let video games over excite me or have a big letdown. Just me, though.

Also, our expectations is very subjective. Different people want different items in Madden.

My only expectation is to upgrade presentation and have a better A.I.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:27 PM   #135
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by thudias
Biggest and Greatest mean two different things but I'll give you that. Madden is always the biggest sports game of the year. With that said, are you guys actually believing that? Enough where this would be the "biggest disappointment in video game history." After all these years?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2009, 07:55 PM   #136
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
With that said, are you guys actually believing that? Enough where this would be the "biggest disappointment in video game history." After all these years?
Yes...to certain individuals I suppose. But no...not to the general gaming pubic in my opinion.

The biggest percentage of sports game players I'm quite sure have little to no idea of the goings on with Madden '10' at this point. And I suppose most will just glance through the gaming sites for their info on the game...and decide from there. Or of course possibly just buy out of habit.

I mean after all...the general gaming public isn't getting first hand info on the coming game like we are.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »