Home

Old 03-27-2009, 12:38 AM   #1
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
Many Faces of Madden

I was geting all nostalgic and thought I would post about the changes Madden has gone through over the years and see what you all think and if you could ad/correct anything. A sort of Madden timeline if you will

I will start with Madden 02 as it is the oldest one i really remember. I am going to avoid glitches as much as I can. Madden 06 and 07 are a little fuzy for me becasue i bought 06 about 6 months before 07 came out and those two games are very similar.

Madden 02 was the first "Next Gen" football game for the PS2, NGC and XBox. New and improved graphics and engine over the last generation of PSX and N64. No gang tackling and nano blitzes were very easy to pull off against the computer and your friends. Franchise mode was really good but the progression system was terrible. Players would progress quickly untill they were around 7 years pro. Players would then level off untill they were about 10-11 years pro and would procede plumit in succeding years. Nobody could be like Rich Gannon and have the prime of thir Carrer in years 13+. Favre would never had had a season like his last one in Greenbay. Seau retired in my frenchise 3 years in as a 54OVR, i remeber that becasue he is one of my favorite players. In real life, he is an 83-ish player in Madden.

Madden 03 introduced gang tackling, improved AI, and a solid progression system. The Linebackers had a rough time covering Tigh Ends and crossing patterns and players like TO and Moss would just destroy defenses with in and out patterns. game play was solid though and franchise mode was a HUGE improvement.

Madden 04 Michael Vick on the cover and introduced the Playmaker tool for the offense. 04 allowed the secondary to "cheat" left or right pre play and you could Run commit or Pass commit after the snap. This wasn't call commit yet though. It was called "Cheat the Run or Cheat the Pass." Franchise mode improved even more inot a powehouse feature adding ownermode, even finer tuned progression, accelerated clock adn options. Rookies still did not have faces. The playmaker tool being offensive only at this point made playing D a struggle and insipred the improvments to 05. This was also the first year Madden was ONLINE. I belive this was the year that question marks [ ? ] would appear in a draft class regarding a player's overall and skills. The game would not tell you how good your player was untill you signed him. In 02 and 03 you knew how good each player was on draft day, no questions asked. 04 also introduced us all to the Rocket Catch.

Madden 05. Ray Lewis. Fear the D! or at least the formation shift by the offense becasue each time they do your defenders got more and more fatigued untill after two solid plays of formation shifting your players were all using 3rd stringers. Formation shift was good, Formation audibles, and smart routes were added to the offense. Playmaker Tool was introduced for the D. Franchise mode got even better with weekly progression but it wasn't tund very well and in no time you would have a super team after average performances and then could no longer afford them all when their contracts were up. non-user teams progressed weekly at a nice pace but certain postions weren't coded right and before long Recivers would be top shelf and DBs would all suck. D line would be killer and Oline would be awefull. Tunning needed to be done, lots of it.

Madden 06. McNabb. The introduction of the QB Vision Cone. Lots of tunning in the off season adn now we have a GREAT franchise mode that people are still talking about today, but not giving this game credit for. REAL Newspapers, a Radio show, a GREAT progression system that checks stats and wins/losses based on real life statistics. Play 5 min quarters? well you better wina lot of games or your stats will be bad and your players will be bad. Play 15min quarters? you had better have good stats if you are not winning games, or the same will be true. Very well done. I played 10min quaters and accelerated clock and had realistic stats and average seasons going 9-7ish or better. My team wasn't super, and niether were my stats or record. It was fun and balanced. Next gen Madden hits the shelves.

Madden 07 I bleive added the generated player faces in place of "No Photo." Genaric faces were better than no faces visually. This game also had fine tuning in regards to non-imported draft classes. I remember in 04 people called the non-imported draft classes the "Buy NCAA Glitch" becasue players were super at the beginign of the draft and got bad, fast. But NCAA players were too good for too dep into the draft. 06 adn 07 tuned the NCAA improt classes and the non-improt draft calsses allowing players a more realistic experiance. 06 and 07 also showed fine tuning in regards to the combine and mini camps.

Madden 08 had gotten the Franchise experiance down pat. you could get lost for hours simulating the regular season, drafting, doing free agency and never even PLAY a game of football. The gameplay was also solid. The real issue with the gameplay, not talkign about the WR double pass, was that the graphics engine was pretty muh the exact same one we saw7 years ago in Maden 02. Next Generation had been here since Madden 06, but we all know how inferiror they had been up to this point.

Madden 09, next Gen. Read the forums.

Madden 10, read the Blogs.

I hope you enjoyed this trip back in the Madden time machine with me and I hope you can help me clear up and mistakes and add anything I forgot. maybe someone can do a better job of organizing this as wll.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2009, 01:22 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 3
Re: Many Faces of Madden

I remember my older brother waiting until Madden 2001 came out to buy both the PS2 and Madden 2001. Before that, we were gaming on the PS1.

When we put that game in for the first time, none of us could talk. It was just mind blowing how great it looked. We would look at the screen and look at each other countless times because we couldn't believe what we were seeing. For those first several months, there was just a huge sense of excitement with adrenaline pumping feeling every time we turned on that console and loaded up Madden.

How I long for those days again. It just seems too impossible for a huge change like that to happen again for Madden. Maybe we will find that "huge" change somewhere else? Maybe the natural motion of the football gaming industry is shifting and putting itself on the back of a new team that may one day in 2009, break 'er.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:36 AM   #3
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: Many Faces of Madden

I know the feeling. going from 2d troy aikeman football on my SNES to Madden 64's polygon mess to NGC was something else. We have goten to a point in the legacygen era that we EXPECT a certain level of gameplay in our Football games that used to be revolutionary. In some areas we aren't even getting our "classic" gameplay experiance with 08 and 09. Screen shots and blogs though have me excited for M10. It's hard to belive that M10 is the 5th "next gen" madden game and how bad our 4th one was, in part becasue 09 was only MY 2ed Next gen game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »