Home

Ian, Do you guys scout each player to make them like there real life counterparts?

This is a discussion on Ian, Do you guys scout each player to make them like there real life counterparts? within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
Madden NFL 22 Scouting Update Pushed to Mid-October - More Details Revealed
NASCAR 21: Ignition Announced, Releases on October 28 - Trailer & Some Details Revealed
FIFA 22 Career Mode Deep Dive: What's in and What's Not
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)
Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 11:42 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 41
Re: Ian, Do you guys scout each player to make them like there real life counterparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowdown2shadi
Hello NFLHITMAN,

It appears that you have yet read Operation Sports' Madden forum rules. Please take a moment to read this quote directly from the NEW rules thread:
Just wanted to point that out, and enjoy your stay here at Operation Sports

Thank You
Thanks for the info. I will follow the rules I honestly did not know I was doing anything wrong since I have seen many of these threads start out with Ian.

Do I have a red card? What is a red card and where do I find out if I have it and for what reason?
Old 03-29-2009, 11:46 AM   #10
MVP

bowdown2shadi's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Ian, Do you guys scout each player to make them like there real life counterparts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLHITMAN
Thanks for the info. I will follow the rules I honestly did not know I was doing anything wrong since I have seen many of these threads start out with Ian.

Do I have a red card? What is a red card and where do I find out if I have it and for what reason?
Thats the problem. People just keep starting these "Hey Ian" threads, other people see them and start one of their own. I don't blame you really.

I red card is just a warning, I don't think you will get one. If you do, you will get a PM saying that you did and the reason why.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:05 PM   #11
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Each player, tell me you didn't honestly ask that question Hitman. The word 'intern' comes to mind for something like this...

In the past I don't think this has been all that important as there wasn't much that separated their players overall. They all pretty much felt the same. With the new changes going into play however, the numbers are going to mean a whole lot more.

For my money, I wish they'd get rid of the numbering scheme altogether, and use real world analysis ratings. Like a grading system for Speed Burner, Route Running and so forth, and the NFL combine results as their rookie year stats for 40 time, bench and so forth. I'm not sure how real coaches do it, but I think a rating system such as A+ for Speed, B- at route running and so forth, or even the scouting system they use for identifying prospective rookies with full descriptive paragraphs that could be easily summed up somehow.

Seeing 99 and 95 just seems unauthentic and lazy on the part of the developers. Show me on Sunday where we see a match up of numbers like that in a NFL game. Or any time for that matter. Every game has numbers behind it, the only game you should see numbers is an RPG. I don't know how fast Sonic is compared to Mario, or whether Tails can out jump Luigi, and I don't need to see that Randy moss is a 99 Speed or TO is a 75 Catching/Hands.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2009, 02:14 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Each player, tell me you didn't honestly ask that question Hitman. The word 'intern' comes to mind for something like this...

In the past I don't think this has been all that important as there wasn't much that separated their players overall. They all pretty much felt the same. With the new changes going into play however, the numbers are going to mean a whole lot more.

For my money, I wish they'd get rid of the numbering scheme altogether, and use real world analysis ratings. Like a grading system for Speed Burner, Route Running and so forth, and the NFL combine results as their rookie year stats for 40 time, bench and so forth. I'm not sure how real coaches do it, but I think a rating system such as A+ for Speed, B- at route running and so forth, or even the scouting system they use for identifying prospective rookies with full descriptive paragraphs that could be easily summed up somehow.

Seeing 99 and 95 just seems unauthentic and lazy on the part of the developers. Show me on Sunday where we see a match up of numbers like that in a NFL game. Or any time for that matter. Every game has numbers behind it, the only game you should see numbers is an RPG. I don't know how fast Sonic is compared to Mario, or whether Tails can out jump Luigi, and I don't need to see that Randy moss is a 99 Speed or TO is a 75 Catching/Hands.
Yep! 0-100 seems more precise, but what ends up happening is the differences are so minute they aren't even identifiable. Having obvious abilities and/or using the WHOLE rating scale would be more effective in making strengths and weaknesses more obvious. I understand that the talent level is really tight at the professional level. That being said a big issue I had with 09 was the feeling that the jerseys of the teams were different, but that's it. All the players felt the same, or very similar particularly at the QB position. Tavaris Jackson or Peyton Manning... couldn't tell. Players just didn't feel alive and after seeing abilities go to work, I am convinced that mindset characterizes sports far better than any number system.

"Steve Smith looks like a 97 spd!"

OR

"Steve Smith sure is a deep threat and a speed burner!"

I see and judge athletes through their abilities, not through a number scale.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:52 PM   #13
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
I believe they do scout the major players, with the rest I suppose they primarily use scouting data from the various sites around the web.

I used to do my own rosters and I did note that one thing they were very good at was differentiating between a fast player and a quick player. Can't say why, but I know for some reason they always seemed to get that right.

Historic players tend to be rated really high. I know Joe Montana does not have a 95 THP:P
I agree with all of that Adam. Earlyer Maddens felt like they got the historical rosters better than the later ones did. Montana, for example would likely have maybe 91 THP and using today's new rattings philosophy he would likely have 99 short and 97 medium THA but MUCH lower deep ball THA. Maybe 89?

I have some Video CD-DVD thingys that have the 1981 divisonal game between NY and SF, the 1981 champ game "the catch" and the superbowl, along with the 1984 superbowl against the dolphins and I also have seen a lot of ESPN classic games that show Montana and one thing he had a glaring problem with over his carrer was his inability to throw a good deep ball. This was one of the reasons Walsh said he wanted to use the West Coast offense as a main stay in SF. When Steve Deburg was the QB, he didn't run the West Coast.

This is one of he reasons older NFL fans will argue if Montana or Elway was the best QB. Elway had all the tools, and did a great job of leading teams back when behind like joe [just in a different fashion] while Joe hada ton of weapons around him and that he didn't have much of a cannon arm like elway. They were both scramblers too. I prefer Montana obviously but I can see thier point.

Back on point a bit though, I think that in the next few editions of madden they should bring historic teams back and scale the players more accurately along with the good work they do already with current players.

P.S. I miss the days where I could play the 80's 49ers vs the 70's Steelers, or the 85 Bears and the 2000 Ravens [just to see if anyone could score, and normally Peyton would be the deciding factor, as he should, becasue Ravens had a poor offense.]
Old 03-29-2009, 04:01 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez

Yes they should scout or get as much data on each player as they can. I am sure no one needed to go out of there way to scout Tom Brady yet they still gave him a 100 throwing power LOL. If they want to make sure he is like a 99 rated QB than give him a 100 on getting hot girlfriends at least that would be realistic.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:45 PM   #15
C*t*z*n *f RSN

K_GUN's Arena

OVR: 22

NFLHITMAN-

a few weeks back Donnie talked about the new vision for ratings...they'll still be numbers but every player is being re-worked so only elite players have OVR in the 90s and the not so elite well.....

not sure how each player will react/feel in madden 10

this is yet another thing 2k5 did so well.....going after a 90+ rated NT felt/played like a run-stopper.....they always had player ratings more evenly distributed in that bell-curve..unlike past madden's you'd have 1/2 your team rated over 85.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »