Home

Food For Thought: Madden > 2k5??

This is a discussion on Food For Thought: Madden > 2k5?? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 05:06 AM   #9
Pro

lgxjames's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Food For Thought: Madden > 2k5??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRxAmazing
First question: Have you ever played NFL 2k5?
Second question: Have you ever played NFL 2K5?

*I'd like to note that I'm a Madden fanboy, and that has included gameplay. But not old does 2K5 have an AMAZING presentation, the gameplay is pretty rock solid. There's little things in that game that we still haven't yet seen in Madden. Jostling being one of those things (which is finally making into Madden this year).

Check out this video I uploaded just a few minutes ago. I plan on making a full video filled with clips from 2K5 to put on these boards. This is just one of the plays that will be in the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfYD2_nkqYo
1st answer: yes I have played 2k5
2nd answer: Hmmm im not sure... is that the same 2k5 I just said yes to...

I know there were gameplay elements that were above maddens im just saying that when I hear 2k5, I hear mostly about presentation, which im assuming Ian probably thinks of too...

Now ian has never responded to any of my questions or threads so Im not claiming I know what he meant by the statement im just saying to me it seems thats what he was referring to (2k5 presentation) among other small accolades people praise 2k5 for
Old 03-28-2009, 07:35 AM   #10
1B, OF

Perfect Zero's Arena

OVR: 29

A lot of it is about presentation, but popping it in last night also proves that players move like they are actually playing in real time. There are no turns on a dime at full speed, and the jukes are well done. It just FEELS like football just playing on the field itself without ESPN. With ESPN, it is just amazing.

Right now, Madden is looking good, but they still have a way to go in order to make it feel like football. If they can make the gameplay top notch, and if they can bring presentation like 2k5, they will make a better game.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:39 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORN4CORN
this is going to turn into a Madden vs. 2K5 thread very quickly.
Probably could have gathered that by the thread title. Ian has already shown several ways they have improved the game and has also stated that there is a lot more to come. Just be patient until the game comes out and judge the finished product.

This was not necessarily directed to BORN4CORN. Sorry if it seemed that way.
Acts 2:38. Let the truth be told.
John 4:23. He is seeking a seeker.
John 3:20. Say no to normal.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2009, 09:22 AM   #12
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgxjames
as I tend to over analyze everything spoken and written I remember Ian said that he never wanted to hear anyone compare Madden to 2k5 again...Hmmmm

So as I'm thinking, I realize that half the reason people love 2k5 so much was because of it's presentation, Sure some gameplay stuff, But I hardly ever read much about 2k5 unless it's presentation related (espn blah blah, weekly show blah blah) So too meeeee...Maybe I'm just over analyzing but I think Ian knows exactly why people loved 2k5 so much, All those special presentation effects and his statement that he didn't want to hear that comparison again leads me to believe.....It is there sole purpose and mission to out-do the presentation found in 2k5, Which is probably the ONLY way Madden will stop being compared to 2k5

I just don't see how Ian can honestly make that statement if he didn't already know they are going all out on presentation to not only meet 2k5's standard but exceeding it. It just makes no sense to challenge 2k5 like that without atleast a firm belief in himself that he can back it up...

Here's to the new "Madden Dream Team"
The only problem here is that if they work on the presentation and add the shows and everything, I feel like people would start comparing it to 2k5 even more. Right now, everybody says 2k5 was better as far as presentation goes. If EA works on theirs, everybody will compare the 2 and try to decide which is better.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:51 AM   #13
MVP

mastershake88's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgxjames
as I tend to over analyze everything spoken and written I remember Ian said that he never wanted to hear anyone compare Madden to 2k5 again...Hmmmm

So as I'm thinking, I realize that half the reason people love 2k5 so much was because of it's presentation, Sure some gameplay stuff, But I hardly ever read much about 2k5 unless it's presentation related (espn blah blah, weekly show blah blah) So too meeeee...Maybe I'm just over analyzing but I think Ian knows exactly why people loved 2k5 so much, All those special presentation effects and his statement that he didn't want to hear that comparison again leads me to believe.....It is there sole purpose and mission to out-do the presentation found in 2k5, Which is probably the ONLY way Madden will stop being compared to 2k5

I just don't see how Ian can honestly make that statement if he didn't already know they are going all out on presentation to not only meet 2k5's standard but exceeding it. It just makes no sense to challenge 2k5 like that without atleast a firm belief in himself that he can back it up...

Here's to the new "Madden Dream Team"
no matter what anyone says...Historically NFL 2k5 is the standard that is used in order to produce a game such as this. And the firm belief that this statement is true is not my mouth but by pure historical fact. EA will use more lessons learned from APF 2k8 and NFL 2k5 and a little bit from the previous maddens. That is nothing wrong though but it sets the story straight and historically accurate that NFL 2k5 was and is the trendsetter for future football games. So much that even APF 2k8 could not hold up the same mantle.
Decade of Excellence
FHS '06, UMBC,'13,CCBC '15 UMUC '15
Old 03-28-2009, 11:12 AM   #14
S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

OVR: 40

The most overrated football game of all time 2K5...
Old 03-28-2009, 11:24 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 7

Vitual concepts is eons ahead of madden (2ks Visual experts) Side line real life players, coaches interacting even when the main screen shot is on the game play is amazing. The whole idea behind 2k sports games is way ahead of ea.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2009, 11:31 AM   #16
Banned

OVR: 25

this is a great thread...

I try to read the tee leaves in Phil & Ians comments as well. they are very good at carefully crafting crypted hints as to what is going on with Madden 10.

I agree with the OP on this.

How can Ian deliver on a statement like that if he does not take in-game presentation (including pre & post game) to another level? So, I was never really worried about that aspect of it.

what I was concerned about was how?

Meaning, were they just going to use a unique cam...maybe a few new stat overlays & a better replay action cam?

Or, were they going to give us gameday specific camera shots...some cut scenes (which Ian did say he wanted to use, I remember because great minds think alike), and a bit of theatrics during pre-game & post game.

Maybe we'll get a little bit of everything...no matter what we get, I know one thing...it's gonna be one kickass game of football to play.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »