Home

Idea for Rookies In Franchise

This is a discussion on Idea for Rookies In Franchise within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-28-2009, 10:04 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Idea for Rookies In Franchise

What if each rookie in Madden franchise had goals entering the draft. Then when you scout that player you see what their season/career goals are, and by that you could check whether that player fits your philosophy or have the right "attitude" for your team.

Examples:

Player A (QB) 1st RD Prospect
Career Goals: Hopes to be compared to the likes of Joe Montana and Brett Favre when he retires. Hopes to win multiple Super Bowls over course of career. Would like to stick with one team entire career.

Season Goals: To be a starter by the end of rookie season. Is willing to learn from experienced player for short period of time.

Coach Analysis: This guy feels confident in his ability to be a starter for a long time in this league and his career goals indicate that he may player 12-15 years and won't become a distraction if his morale is high enough.

Player B (QB) 4th-5th RD Prospect

Career Goals: To be lucky enough to play 15 years in the NFL. Will do whatever his team needs him to be, whether he be called upon as a franchise QB or to mentor a young QB for a year or two. He doesn't care about records and hopes to be a part of many Super Bowl teams. Will play for whoever wants him and understands the business side of the game.

Season Goals: To learn behind an older QB for a few years to allow him time for a good transition from the college game.

Coach Analysis: This player, though he may not the most athletic or most sought after QB in the draft, is more mature than other players and understands the risks of being a starter day one. This player is willing to be molded and is a good team player. More of a follower than a leader.

Player C (WR) 1st-2nd RD Prospect
Career Goals: Has dreamed of breaking or nearing Jerry Rice's all-time receiving records. Barring injury or major drop-off in ability, he is willing to worker harder than the next person to reach his goals and understands the challenges that lie ahead.

Season Goals: 70+ receptions, 1100+ yards, 8+ touchdowns as a rookie. Wants to be a #1 or #2 receiver immediately and begin his career with a bang.

Coach Analysis: Though he may not be the ultimate team player, he has the passion and fire, not to mention the athletic ability needed to play 15 years or more in this league. Could become a distraction someday if he doesn't feel that his team is helping him become the best he can be, but the rewards of drafting this guy far outweighs the possible risks.

Player D (LB) 3rd-4th RD Prospect

Career Goals: To win a Super Bowl is this guy's dream. Whether it takes 5, 10, or 15 years, this player won't feel satisfied with his career unless he leaves with that ring. Doesn't matter to him if he's the next Junior Seau or Dick Butkus, or a career back-up.

Season Goals: To reach the playoffs, to lead his teammates by example.

Coach Analysis: Has average ability, but his football smarts are viewed as some of the highest of this year's class. Not much of a vocal leader but has outstanding work ethic and passion for the game. May only play 5-8 years if he wins a Super Bowl. Doesn't see himself playing 12+ years if he has a ring.
------------
Please tell me what you think of my idea, because that way you could see whether that star QB you want to draft with that top 5 pick will be the next Peyton Manning for your team or that WR who has Randy Moss like stats but yet can become the next Terrell Owens personality wise. Then there is the Michael Strahan type of player who may have a productive season but retire after winning a Super Bowl.

This also wouldn't represent current NFL players in any way offensive, seeing as these are generic game-created rookies or NCAA imported players who have yet to play an NFL down.

Not to mention the fact that this would finally give rookies a unique personality and would add some realism to Next-Gen Franchise that we've all been waiting for.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2009, 10:17 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 17
Re: Idea for Rookies In Franchise

Good idea, would love to see it but doubt we will this year.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:18 PM   #3
MVP

PacMan3000's Arena

OVR: 11

I see where you're going with this and sorta like it.

I agree that franchise mode needs little in-game intricacies and battles to make it deeper. I think if they were to go with your idea, it has to mean something.

Meaning, if you draft a guy similar to your third scenario...maybe he holds out of training camp. Maybe when you go to resign him, he becomes a pain and tries to jack up the price.

Maybe, as he gets older, you have to worry that his selfish attitude will negatively affect the younger players you bring in at his position.

I'd take it a step further. Maybe, if you have a T.O type of player, you then have to make a calculated decision of how you're going to deal with that. He has all the talent in the world, but he can, at times, be problematic and even a cancer. Does that mean you have to hire a Bill Parcells-like head coach or position coach? Do you fine him in the off-season? Do you bench him during games, or not allow him to start against a division rival? And if so, does that help the situation, or worsen it? And what's the affect on your team's morale?

I think it's a very interesting idea, I just think it has to mean something. If it's just a bunch of fluff with no substance, there's no point. If it will truly have an impact on the game, both in the short and long term, then I think it adds immense replay value to franchise mode, and the possibilities are almost endless.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:27 PM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan3000
I see where you're going with this and sorta like it.

I agree that franchise mode needs little in-game intricacies and battles to make it deeper. I think if they were to go with your idea, it has to mean something.

Meaning, if you draft a guy similar to your third scenario...maybe he holds out of training camp. Maybe when you go to resign him, he becomes a pain and tries to jack up the price.

Maybe, as he gets older, you have to worry that his selfish attitude will negatively affect the younger players you bring in at his position.

I'd take it a step further. Maybe, if you have a T.O type of player, you then have to make a calculated decision of how you're going to deal with that. He has all the talent in the world, but he can, at times, be problematic and even a cancer. Does that mean you have to hire a Bill Parcells-like head coach or position coach? Do you fine him in the off-season? Do you bench him during games, or not allow him to start against a division rival? And if so, does that help the situation, or worsen it? And what's the affect on your team's morale?

I think it's a very interesting idea, I just think it has to mean something. If it's just a bunch of fluff with no substance, there's no point. If it will truly have an impact on the game, both in the short and long term, then I think it adds immense replay value to franchise mode, and the possibilities are almost endless.
Exactly. I actually want to draft let's say a Derrick Brooks who was always loyal to his team no matter what his role was. Then you have guys like Moss who pretty much forced his away out of Minnesota and Oakland partly because he felt like he wasn't getting enough thrown his way. I also think that their goals should be affected by their morale and by the coaches you sign. If you sign let's say a Jon Gruden who wants to bring in his own players, the coach should send emails requesting certain players to be signed/released and you have to make the final decision as the player.

Releasing stars like Jerry Jones did with TO out of pressure from other players/office workers can affect your team's season, but adds better team prestige and chemistry. Then you have guys like Derrick Brooks and Coles from the Jets being released because the new regime didn't see them fit moving forward, which may add cap space and allow for younger players to step up but you get a decrease with fan support and player morale with those leaders gone.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:34 PM   #5
MVP

PacMan3000's Arena

OVR: 11

Going along with what you said about big name players being cut...in general, I'd like to feel more pressure in franchise mode. If I'm getting ready to start a young, 2nd year QB for my team, I'd love to see the press dog me out for my decision. I'd like to see a Sportscenter or NFL Network type reporter/commentator say that my job is now on the line. I'd like to see coaches within my staff not happy about it and hear fans calling up a local radio station calling for my head.

With this pressure, you as a gamer would feel it. You would sense that your decision TRULY was not just an important aspect to whether your team succeeds or fails, but that other people have thoughts on your decisions, too. If your QB is a success, maybe you get a new contract, or a FA is more likely to sign with your team, or more position coaches are willing to come to your team, etc. If your QB fails, maybe the team loses confidence in you as a head coach, or maybe you're even fired.

I think a high/low stakes game within franchise mode when it came to pivotal decision making would be great.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2009, 10:36 PM   #6
Rookie

+1
Old 03-28-2009, 10:37 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 19

good idea.....doubt it will be in the game tho
Old 03-28-2009, 10:39 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by afro_dogg20
good idea.....doubt it will be in the game tho
yeah i've been scanning these forums for the past year but just signed up today, so i was probably a bit late lol.

Hopefully there's a chance for '11

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »