Home

NFL Terminology: "Cap Penalty", "Hot Route"

This is a discussion on NFL Terminology: "Cap Penalty", "Hot Route" within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-31-2009, 10:36 AM   #9
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: NFL Terminology: "Cap Penalty", "Hot Route"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeno
I don't know about that.

"Dog" was always the name of our strong-side outside linebacker in our defense in high school. "Cat" was the weakside... We ran a 4-4.

I've never heard anyone say a linebacker "dogged." Maybe the terminology differs from system to system.
It does... and it has changed over time. Once again, most of my defensive technical knowledge is 15 years old or more:P There was a time, however, many many moons ago when "Dog" meant a linebacker rushing and "Blitz" meant a defensive back. Every team incorporates terminology differently.

In my defense in HS a linebacker "fired". Sam Fire, Matt Fire, Will Fire. Corner blitzes were Lightning and Ricochet for left and right respectively. We never blitzed our safeties. Of course, our defense didn't have designed blitzes so much... it was basically defensive hot routes. We had fronts and coverages, and then occassionally the coaches would send a backer or a safety. They'd make the call, "52 over slant, cover 7", and throw in "Lightning" on the end, and our left corner would rush. We never blitzed out of man. Weird system, but it worked. That's HS for ya.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
It does... and it has changed over time. Once again, most of my defensive technical knowledge is 15 years old or more:P There was a time, however, many many moons ago when "Dog" meant a linebacker rushing and "Blitz" meant a defensive back. Every team incorporates terminology differently.

In my defense in HS a linebacker "fired". Sam Fire, Matt Fire, Will Fire. Corner blitzes were Lightning and Ricochet for left and right respectively. We never blitzed our safeties. Of course, our defense didn't have designed blitzes so much... it was basically defensive hot routes. We had fronts and coverages, and then occassionally the coaches would send a backer or a safety. They'd make the call, "52 over slant, cover 7", and throw in "Lightning" on the end, and our left corner would rush. We never blitzed out of man. Weird system, but it worked. That's HS for ya.
I wouldn't try an get too technical with the terminology...Different coaches will have different names for different positions and different blitzes...Sorry man, there is no standard.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:55 AM   #11
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by thudias
I wouldn't try an get too technical with the terminology...Different coaches will have different names for different positions and different blitzes...Sorry man, there is no standard.
Well, yeah, but what I mentioned in the original post is pretty much universal. I guess what bugs me is "Hot Route' being used for something it clearly is not.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2009, 12:44 PM   #12
Banned

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Well, yeah, but what I mentioned in the original post is pretty much universal. I guess what bugs me is "Hot Route' being used for something it clearly is not.
Yeah... hot routes are NOT single player audibles where you can just create a custom play at the line of scrimmage.

They are blitz beating routes that are already designed as a contingency in the play. They are more like "option routes" than custom routes designed at the line of scrimmage. They should be built in as option routes...

Usually they are slants or quick screens. I never did quite get that one...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »