Home
View Poll Results: What Kicking System Do You Think is Best?
Current EA Right Analog System 8 17.02%
Old Three Button EA Kick System 18 38.30%
2K Right Analog System/Other 21 44.68%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2009, 01:21 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 15
Re: Change the Kicking System

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
When EA moved to the Right Analog kick system on field goals, it made kicking field goals way too easy, particularly on kicks in the middle of the hashes. You could nail every kick there and struggle a little on kicks from the hash. The old button system would feature hooks and slices and produced far more realistic results.

The right analog system could be saved but not the way EA does it. 2K5 had a drift to the arrow which made it a lot less predictable and more interesting. APF did a different system that I was awful at for the short time I had the game.

My last point about the kicking system is that is should largely be about the accuracy. Field goal length should not vary as much as it does. Every kicker in the NFL has enough leg to hit anything inside 45-48 yards. Why on earth would we ever emulate someone being short on a 35 yard kick, even if they completely screwed up the meter? Minimizing or maximizing kick length should only cost you about 10 yards.

I should add that Tiger Woods lets you use either the analog approach or button approach. Why not give us an option?
+1
Old 03-31-2009, 01:26 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 39

I HAVE A FIX>I believe

I don't like the 3 choices presented personally. I think they all need scrapped and something brand new added.

They should incorporate the triggers in some way, one dealing with power and the other with accuracy. You could have 2 meters presented on the screen, both would be bouncing. At the top of the meters would be what would equal MAX power/acc. The amount of bouncing or movement of the bars would depend on teh kicker's ratings. While pulling on the triggers (at the same time) you would try to raise the bars up as high in the meters as you can. Once you are as good as you can get it, you either press A/swing analog stick (can't decide which is better).

Here is a qucik paintbrush protrait helping explain the look:

Basically you would be pulling down the triggers simaltaneously, which would raise the "resisting" meters. From there you would press "A" to lock the meter levels, and then would use the analog stick to complete the kicking motion.

Thoughts?
Old 03-31-2009, 01:32 PM   #11
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

That sounds a little complicated Born4corn. I'm not sure I want complicated, I just want realistic results. Right now the kicking game is completely unbalanced. Kicks from the hash are much harder than automatic kicks from the middle of the field. It shouldn't be like that. I would take any system over the current one though.

BTW, the last option was "Other" as well so you could just vote that way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2009, 01:33 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 39

boom, voted for "other"...thanks for the input. I believe anything would be a welcomed change.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:52 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORN4CORN
I HAVE A FIX>I believe

I don't like the 3 choices presented personally. I think they all need scrapped and something brand new added.

They should incorporate the triggers in some way, one dealing with power and the other with accuracy. You could have 2 meters presented on the screen, both would be bouncing. At the top of the meters would be what would equal MAX power/acc. The amount of bouncing or movement of the bars would depend on teh kicker's ratings. While pulling on the triggers (at the same time) you would try to raise the bars up as high in the meters as you can. Once you are as good as you can get it, you either press A/swing analog stick (can't decide which is better).

Basically you would be pulling down the triggers simaltaneously, which would raise the "resisting" meters. From there you would press "A" to lock the meter levels, and then would use the analog stick to complete the kicking motion.

Thoughts?
This is hilarious.... lol... (A fantastic idea, but hilarious)

No offense.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:07 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 55

I love the kicking system in APF 2k8. It is very difficult and it's not a guarantee. With a bad kicker the slightest miss will yield a hooked FG. Having no barometer to visually go off of makes kicking always a bit random from a human standpoint. It isn't random in results, if you kick it spot on you will make it. People feel like the CPU is screwing them but in reality they are missing their mark, even if it is a small margin.

Once you get the system down you nail FG's with bad kickers at about a 75% clip which is very reasonable! 50 yard FG's are hard, as they should be with the APF system. Legend kickers (top tier kickers) pound 50 yarders with relative ease and make a huge difference.

It'd be nice to see some variance in kickoff distance. I'm not convinced every NFL team has a kicker who can blast it into the endzone for touchbacks. This variance should be visible in madden.

People hate the 2k kicking system because of it's limited feedback and difficulty. I feel that's what makes it great.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:11 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORN4CORN
I HAVE A FIX>

But have you compensated for M yet?! Someone compensate for M!

J/k, a well thought out idea but it might be a little complex to get into. I wouldn't mind a system similar to that of the old 2K basketball games, which your diagram reminded me off.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2009, 02:52 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 15

Here's an idea I have for the kicking game with regards to accuracy.

When the ball is snapped a graphic such as this appears (see below and excuse my poor graphic skills, but I just quickly did this in photo shop)

The bullseye represents the perfect place to kick the ball. The vertical and horizontal bars move around but where they cross is where you will strike the ball. They move via moving the left analogue stick but do not stop anywhere. What I mean by this is...if you press left on the stick the crosshair will go all the way to the left of the ball if no other input is made.

What this forces you to do is constanlty adjust the crosshair to get it where you want it to be. To physically stop the crosshair you need to press the A button.

This will then start the kick animation. Depending on how accurately you stopped the crosshair on the ball then the flight of the ball will be affected accordingly, along with wind etc.

Stopping the cosshair bottom left of the bullseye will make the kick rise higher into the air and veer off to the right, whilst stopping the crosshair top right of the bullseye will produce a flatter kick which veers left. Stopping the crosshair outside of the bullseye alltogether could maybe trigger a complete shank or maybe a fumbled/overthrown snap.

Into this mechanic you need to add the effects of your kickers accuracy. The better the kicker the slower the crosshairs move while you are trying to centre them and conversely, the worse the kicker the more unpredictably they move.

I believe this would add a nice balance of user skill and kicker abilility.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kicking game.jpg (79.7 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by Golden28; 03-31-2009 at 03:11 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »