Home

Am I the only one that doesn't care about online franchise?

This is a discussion on Am I the only one that doesn't care about online franchise? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-01-2009, 08:18 PM   #81
MVP

OVR: 24
Re: Am I the only one that doesn't care about online franchise?

Do players actually finish these games online, even if they know they're goin to lose?
Playing shooters, and quitting is one thing, but trying to have an online franchise seems like a much bigger headache.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2009, 08:21 PM   #82
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKE4742
Do players actually finish these games online, even if they know they're goin to lose?
Playing shooters, and quitting is one thing, but trying to have an online franchise seems like a much bigger headache.
Of course they do, and if they quit they are removed from the league and replaced with someone that wants to be there.

The thing about on-line franchises is that its more than just about your record and playing the game. Some guys just love the GM aspect of it and love the fact that they get to match GMing wits with 31 other guys.

Some people just love to be part of a fantasy draft.... either way, most solid owners play it to the end regardless of how good or how bad they are.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you that this is for everyone, cause its not. You need to have time, and you need to know how to take a loss. But, there are people out there that can do these things, and that's the type of guys you build your franchise with.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:00 PM   #83
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
The fact that over 5 million people have XBL alone, not PSN, tells me that they will never stop trying to make online good. And good for you guys, but I am sure as hell there are more people who play online then off.
No way is that possible, just by factoring the millions who buy this game every year. I'm positive it's the other way around, especially on 360 since you have to have Gold to play. XBL puts out numbers that sound high, but the question is... how many of those users have Gold? And then how many of those Gold members actually bought Madden? As you go down that tunnel the number possibility begins to shrink significantly.

I think the online thing with Madden being this huge deal is something that people who play online a lot think is a bigger deal than it is. I'm sure enough play online to make online features a priority at least, but not enough to make it a bigger priority than any of the other glaring issues that everyone can see.

And this is where I really get confused about why so much effort was put into Online Dynasty mode for NCAA. I mean, NCAA isn't doing anywhere near the numbers Madden is, and if the shrinking occurs by process of elimination like I described for a game that sells millions like Madden, what does that number look like for a game that only sells in the hundred thousands like NCAA?

Online Franchises and dynasties... all these things are very hard to do and call on the resources of too many things that could be better spent in places where more than 90% of the people buying the game are going to be involved in.

And oh yeah, I neither care about playing online or online franchise and if online franchise existed I doubt I'd ever use it. Actually, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't. These are hardcore things, and the hardcore group is very small. You then take that to the online arena and it gets smaller. It's reality. The demand is not there but from a very, very, very small few compared to the millions who will be buying this game.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:07 PM   #84
MVP

ZoneKIller's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
No way is that possible, just by factoring the millions who buy this game every year. I'm positive it's the other way around, especially on 360 since you have to have Gold to play. XBL puts out numbers that sound high, but the question is... how many of those users have Gold? And then how many of those Gold members actually bought Madden? As you go down that tunnel the number possibility begins to shrink significantly.

I think the online thing with Madden being this huge deal is something that people who play online a lot think is a bigger deal than it is. I'm sure enough play online to make online features a priority at least, but not enough to make it a bigger priority than any of the other glaring issues that everyone can see.

And this is where I really get confused about why so much effort was put into Online Dynasty mode for NCAA. I mean, NCAA isn't doing anywhere near the numbers Madden is, and if the shrinking occurs by process of elimination like I described for a game that sells millions like Madden, what does that number look like for a game that only sells in the hundred thousands like NCAA?

Online Franchises and dynasties... all these things are very hard to do and call on the resources of too many things that could be better spent in places where more than 90% of the people buying the game are going to be involved in.

And oh yeah, I neither care about playing online or online franchise and if online franchise existed I doubt I'd ever use it. Actually, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't. These are hardcore things, and the hardcore group is very small. You then take that to the online arena and it gets smaller. It's reality. The demand is not there but from a very, very, very small few compared to the millions who will be buying this game.
BRAVO right on the spot
Old 04-01-2009, 09:16 PM   #85
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
You have to get with the times. The on-line community grows every single year.

Quote:
I don't think this is as much effort as you make it out to be. Most of the effort is fixing the Franchise mode period, once that is done, making it available on-line should not be very difficult for a game that already has on-line game play.

Quote:
On-line gaming is no longer a "hardcore group" thing. Its the year 2009... maybe 5 or 6 years ago you'd have a point, but EVERYTHING is on-line now... its rare for a game to come out now a days without some type of on-line feature. On-line franchise is just the natural way of things. Fix off-line franchise and port it on-line... simple as that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2009, 09:24 PM   #86
MVP

g2thecore's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:

My thoughts exactly! Great post dude!
Old 04-01-2009, 09:40 PM   #87
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnKill
You have to get with the times. The on-line community grows every single year.
LOL.

I'm with the times, I'm also with reality. Reality is something that hardcore online Madden players are refusing to face.

Quote:
I don't think this is as much effort as you make it out to be. Most of the effort is fixing the Franchise mode period, once that is done, making it available on-line should not be very difficult for a game that already has on-line game play.
That's just not true at all. It takes every bit as much effort as I described and then some. In fact, putting a program like that online and having it run across a server and run on just a few machines let alone thousands (lol) is terribly complicated and difficult with lots of spots for errors and failures, and it employs a ton of resources to make it all work. I've been working long enough with Server based software that runs across multiple channels to know that, and that's been with software that's far less sophisticated and complex as what you get in a video game.

Quote:
On-line gaming is no longer a "hardcore group" thing. Its the year 2009... maybe 5 or 6 years ago you'd have a point, but EVERYTHING is on-line now... its rare for a game to come out now a days without some type of on-line feature. On-line franchise is just the natural way of things. Fix off-line franchise and port it on-line... simple as that.
I never said on-line gaming was a "hardcore group" thing overall. I said that online franchise is something that only the hardcore would be fighting for. If you think the casual player who already only plays Play Now mode 99% of the time is somehow interested in doing a complete 180 and involving themselves in something as deeply involved as an online franchise, then again I say you're not facing reality. The casual player doesn't even care that you can rocket catch with Tight ends multiple times or break the laws of physics. They certainly don't care about having to keep up a schedule to play an entire season while doing a bunch of micromanagement tasks in some online franchise. The most they'll do with online is play someone in Play Now, cheese, and go do something else, and that's exactly what they're doing now. And that's exactly what they're doing with NCAA which happens to have an online dynasty, lol.

On a related note, I would like to see EA's usage numbers for Franchise Live Opponent from Madden 07. I think it would be interesting to see just how many people actually used this. Of course, I bet it was very few since it disappeared and there was pretty much no outcry from the public about it. Most people I read on it never knew it ever existed.

Last edited by TheWatcher; 04-01-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:47 PM   #88
SHO
Give us a raise, loser!

SHO's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:

Close thread.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »