Home

Am I the only one that doesn't care about online franchise?

This is a discussion on Am I the only one that doesn't care about online franchise? within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
Madden NFL 22 Scouting Update Pushed to Mid-October - More Details Revealed
NBA 2K22 Review: The Best 2K Game in Years
FIFA 22 First Impressions
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 04-01-2009, 10:05 PM   #89
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: Am I the only one that doesn't care about online franchise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
No way is that possible, just by factoring the millions who buy this game every year. I'm positive it's the other way around, especially on 360 since you have to have Gold to play. XBL puts out numbers that sound high, but the question is... how many of those users have Gold? And then how many of those Gold members actually bought Madden? As you go down that tunnel the number possibility begins to shrink significantly.

I think the online thing with Madden being this huge deal is something that people who play online a lot think is a bigger deal than it is. I'm sure enough play online to make online features a priority at least, but not enough to make it a bigger priority than any of the other glaring issues that everyone can see.

And this is where I really get confused about why so much effort was put into Online Dynasty mode for NCAA. I mean, NCAA isn't doing anywhere near the numbers Madden is, and if the shrinking occurs by process of elimination like I described for a game that sells millions like Madden, what does that number look like for a game that only sells in the hundred thousands like NCAA?

Online Franchises and dynasties... all these things are very hard to do and call on the resources of too many things that could be better spent in places where more than 90% of the people buying the game are going to be involved in.

And oh yeah, I neither care about playing online or online franchise and if online franchise existed I doubt I'd ever use it. Actually, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't. These are hardcore things, and the hardcore group is very small. You then take that to the online arena and it gets smaller. It's reality. The demand is not there but from a very, very, very small few compared to the millions who will be buying this game.

Can this same argument not be applied to anything in Madden? I mean hey the game sells millions of copies so why waste time innovating the game at all? It's going to sell good no matter what, so why is Ian wasting his time trying to improve it. I'm willing to bet the offline franchise player market is no bigger than the online franchise player market. You act like you offline franchise people are the only ones that matter, but in truth you matter no more or less than the people wanting online franchise. I say we ask for both innovations and stop worrying about who matters more or less.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:34 PM   #90
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

I'll just add my experiences with HH baseball. The year was 2003 and HH baseball was released on PC. This was the last HH baseball game made. 3DO took out online play and there was a smattering of people who were upset because online play was available in previous builds.

The remark from 3DO was that they did market studies and a small percentage of their buying market played online. They did say most of the players played offline.

I don't know if this still holds true 6 years later, but I thought I would give some insight as to something similar to another sports game.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:16 AM   #91
Banned

OVR: 10

offline is soo 1997... im sorry most of you have dial up still but those like me who have highspeed want a online franchise mode.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2009, 01:33 AM   #92
All Star

baumy300's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by thudias
I could care less about online anything also...
Same. Playing sports games online is even less important to me than mascot games.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:01 AM   #93
Banned

FootballDetails's Arena

OVR: 30

Sports games are about competition.

An Online Franchise mode would give a group of dedicated, sim players the chance to compete for the Lombardi Trophy. I don't see the thrill in being the only human in the league.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:16 AM   #94
Pro

Lordcledus's Arena

I don't care. I don't play online at all, so online franchise would just be a feature I wouldn't use.

XBL: Lordcledus

Old 04-02-2009, 07:47 AM   #95
Rookie

Triathlete_201's Arena

I never had a desire to play franchise mode offline, but I loved online leagues with full stat tracking on NFL2k5. Is online franchise totally different than online leagues like 2k football had? If they are the same, I'm all for it. 99% of my gaming is online. The computer is way too easy to beat and to predict.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2009, 08:23 AM   #96
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadeEmAll
Can this same argument not be applied to anything in Madden?
Absolutely not. There are a number of things in a football game that are indispensible. Online franchise is not indispensible to the success of the game, and neither is offline regardless of the little bit of rhetoric we get on message boards about it. As it's been stated many times, Madden's franchise has been totally broken for years and sales have continued to go up. Up... products don't increase in sales when an essential part is broken. If it were that essential the opposite would be happening. I don't think franchise folks realize how much people just go Play Now and that's it.

You know what's indispensible? Gameplay and all its components, because no matter what, that has to be solid. The indispensible parts aren't even 100% yet. Offline franchise isn't right yet. Let's get those things right first before we tackle a major task like online franchise.

Quote:
I mean hey the game sells millions of copies so why waste time innovating the game at all? It's going to sell good no matter what, so why is Ian wasting his time trying to improve it. I'm willing to bet the offline franchise player market is no bigger than the online franchise player market.
I could agree on that bet too because I think many offline franchise players in general have an inflated concept of just how important that mode is to the majority of people who play this game. But since there is no online franchise it's impossible to know what the comparison is like right now. Closest we can get is the current season activity for online dynasty in NCAA.

Quote:
You act like you offline franchise people are the only ones that matter, but in truth you matter no more or less than the people wanting online franchise. I say we ask for both innovations and stop worrying about who matters more or less.
Well, for the record I'm not an "offline franchise" person. The last time I dabbled deeply in franchise was with 2K5 when it first came out. Franchise mode doesn't interest me for the simple fact that I have no desire whatsoever to play with fake rosters. Now maybe that would change if the mode improved greatly, but right now I'm not interested at all.

As far as who matters... We ALL matter. That's not the issue. The issue is whether or not a mode that very few people are going to even touch, which is deeply involved and going to draw on a ton of resources which will ultimately mean that each area it draws from will take dev time away from things that everyone will see... is worth it or not. That's the question, and my answer is this...

I'm all for innovation, but not when it's only going to be used by a small group and never even noticed by but a small group, and will take away time from far more important things that everyone will notice. This is not a wise idea. At least the hardcore stuff we ask for like Presentation improvements, Graphical improvements, Gameplay improvements, will all be immediately right in the faces of everyone who pops the game in and plays.

You have to create a product with the concept of quality-first and advancement in all important phases, not just side novelties. I think Tiburon lost sight of that somewhere between the PS1 days and now and I could point out tons of examples of how the products are not what they could be because that very principle has been ignored for so long.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »