Home

Am I the only one that doesn't care about online franchise?

This is a discussion on Am I the only one that doesn't care about online franchise? within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
Madden NFL 22 Scouting Update Pushed to Mid-October - More Details Revealed
NBA 2K22 Review: The Best 2K Game in Years
FIFA 22 First Impressions
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 04-02-2009, 11:07 PM   #113
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Am I the only one that doesn't care about online franchise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnKill
I don't think any of us ON-line Franchise die hards are arguing the fact that the off-line franchise needs to be good before it is ported on-line. I just personally feel that both can be done and should be done.
Well after the effort we saw from the NCAA team last year with the Online Dynasty, I think there is a good chance the madden team may have seen this feature as a priority. Both can be done, and should be done, it just stands to be seen if it can happen in the same year.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:56 PM   #114
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel10
I would never play in an Online Franchise with strangers... but the whole mode was SO awesome from NCAA last year, that it completely changed that game for me. It went from being a decent NCAA football game to being my most played NCAA football game. 90% of my Online Dynasty games were against the AI, maybe more, but the fact that you were competing with real people in the dynasty made it so much more fun... Whenever you were recruiting the same player as another guy in the game, it totally upped the ante. A few times I threw the farm at like some terribl 2 star FB ONLY because I didn't want my buddy to get one of my players

plus, if you had a good season, it wasn't just "you" who acknowledged it, but everybody. It was an awesome mode.

Online Franchise is make or break for me. I was really up on MAdden 09 then played the demo and just didn't car about the game, first madden I hadn't bought in maybe ... 6 or 7 years, and honestly, I didn't miss it at all. Online Dynasty was so great that I immediately thought online Franchise owuld be in Madden and if it is... day 1 purchase. If not, then I can probably do without Madden again this year.
That's 100% right there...Put that in your papers!!!...Make money off that!!!!....
Old 04-03-2009, 08:20 AM   #115
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
I don't see how this would be any different than a regular play now game, instead of loading up default rosters they look at a file and load up rosters from there. And when teh game ends they save the stats to a file... sounds pretty basic to me.
But the problem is, they still have to build the code, do the testing from the user side, and server side, plus I'm guessing that anything that goes through XBL will have to be approved by Microsoft in some way. This is something that they'd have to have been working on for likely longer than a cycle.

If I'm not mistaken, I recall Phil Frazier saying in an interview last year that they'd been working to get online leagues in the game for a while. That could probably mean they've been working on it for a few cycles. I'd like to hear from them what type of work that took and also what it would take specifically to have an online franchise. I think it would be interesting to hear about those challenges.

Quote:
Oh, I see... well, that's probably because Madden 06, 07 and 08 for the NG system were so unplayable for me that I spent a total of probably 2 hours with them combined in practice mode before I realized that the gameplay was so horrific that I had no intention of playing them regardless of what mode they offered. Madden 09 was the first NG madden where they actually provided some level of control over the players, so we decided to explore it a bit deeper. For 06, 07 and 08 I went back to the PS2 version.
I think most people would have that response to what they feel is bad gameplay, so I can understand that. And I think it says something about how important the game on the field is over modes and other things.

Quote:
I guess it depends on how you look at the tiers... I look at them like so:

1. Beginner, doesn't k now much about football, just wants to play some football
2. Casual, knows about football, buys madden every year and plays it for a couple of months, franchise, off-line stuff mostly
3. On-line casual - notch above casual by definition... to play on-line and not lose misserably you have to know a bit more than the casual guy and probably put a bit more time into it.
4. On-line serious - Plays on-line or on-line franchise if possible, and continues to play until the new madden is released.
5. Tourney - This is where I think hard core comes into play. These are the guys that spend most of their time playing the game, disecting the game, finding whatever it takes to win, and then going on the road to compete in money tourneys.

I'm #4 for the most part, but Madden 09 turned me into #2.

For the PS2 game I was #4 for sure... I knew almost everythign about the game, played it well, was playing on-line franchises with a great group of guys, it was a blast... I'd like to experience that again on the NG system sooner than later.

I was never hard core (#5) and I dont' think I will ever be... that is far too much commitment.

The problem for me is that once I experienced the fun factor of an on-line franchise on the PS2, I can't go back to just playing "Play Now" games or anything off-line...
I never really thought about tiers to this before, but that's a good observation.

My profile is kinda like this... I have a deep knowledge of the history of the game, not so much X's and O's. I know authenticity when I see it and the opposite of that when I see it. I don't play a lot, but analyze a lot, lol. I analyze this game far more than I've actually played it. My playing habits are casual but would be more hardcore if the game had more of the things I'm looking for. So I guess at the moment I'm a casual player with a hardcore's want-list with the hope of the game adding those things so I can become a hardcore player, lol. Does that make any sense?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2009, 08:34 AM   #116
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadeEmAll
I'm not going to go into the long responses you guys are doing but, Franchise Live opponent was nothing!!! and I mean nothing!!!! like online Franchise can or will be. to even compare the two is ludicrous. All that crap was was porting a game online to play against a friend, the lack of people clamoring for that has no relation to the desire for online franchise.
LOL.

I'm not saying they were the same. I'm saying that the intent of Franchise Live Opponent carries a critical trait of what Online Franchise would have. And that trait is the fact that you'd be playing a Human opponent in franchise. Isn't that the main reason you'd want online franchise? To play a Human opponent in a season setting rather than only playing the CPU?
Old 04-03-2009, 08:44 AM   #117
MVP

Quote:
So when is the right time to do on-line franchise? You will never make everyone happy. There will always be people that will say "Fix what makes me unhappy first, then do on-line franchise later"
Well, I think we can both agree that Madden today is not as good as it was in any of the past generations taking into account how each game faired within the context of the technology available in their times. So at the very least, I think we'd expect for it to reach the level of excellence it had in the past. I think we'll know when it hits.

Quote:
By your calculations I won't see on-line franchise until the PS4 / 3...uhmm.. 720?... That is so unacceptable its difficult to put into words.
But it could be coming this year. The thing is, if they're going to do it then they'd have to have been working on it for a while now.

Quote:
I think you said Madden wasn't good after the PS1 ... I don't recall, not really important. I too was a 2k freak, but I preferred how the long ball was handled in PS2 Madden so I made the switch in 05.
Nah, I was trying to say that somewhere from the PS1 times to now they lost their way in terms of understanding quality first over quantity. I think this current generation has been the crescendo of that mistake. There are so many spots where we could pick on it's not even funny and some of it is so obvious to us, but for some reason it never changes.

Quote:
Well Ian said his goal is to not have people compare Madden to NFL2k5... until On-line Franchise is a reality, it will always be compared with a game that had this very feature implemented to near perfection 5 years ago.

Gamers shouldn't have to suffer for the previous Madden's team incompetency. They need to step up their efforts and catch up quickly. I expect On-line Franchise this year, and could somewhat forgive if it slips to 2011 (but probably won't buy 2010), but anything beyond that would be a complete joke.
If it's going to be in I'd think it would be this year or next, and that means they've been working on it for a while.

But are you saying that if they got the gameplay to or above the level you enjoyed in the PS2 days, the presentation was at or above the 2K5 level, and the graphics were crazy... you wouldn't buy the game? Is it really online franchise-or bust?
Old 04-03-2009, 08:48 AM   #118
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
LOL.

I'm not saying they were the same. I'm saying that the intent of Franchise Live Opponent carries a critical trait of what Online Franchise would have. And that trait is the fact that you'd be playing a Human opponent in franchise. Isn't that the main reason you'd want online franchise? To play a Human opponent in a season setting rather than only playing the CPU?
Exactly.... and 99% of the problems with offline franchsie are solved just by having a human take the CPU's place online... for instance: 1) HBs routinely rush for 2000+ yards for cpu teams. well that wont happen online because you have all user controlled teams and dont need to worry about the "sumulation engine" and the stats in generated when you sim cpu controlled teams games.

2) The CPU never inititates trades. well in an online franchise with other humans this doesnt exsist... in fact its the opposite. their is a ton of trading. for instance check this link from our ps2 online franchise. this is a trade thread. http://www.maddentips.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=105569 Notice how trades their are.... a TON... and draft picks included in those trades!

3) The CPU draft logic is horrendous again now you have humans drafting for their own teams based on need and team. you have 3-4 guys drafting OLB pass rushers and 4-3 guys drafting DE pass rushers... and you also have a TON of draft day trades to move up and down.

i think ive made my point... with online franchise, you dont have to worry about the CPU controlled aspect or anything being simulated and yielding correct results.... its the most fun you can have with madden. 32 human controlled teams, tons of trades, a great draft, articles written by each owner after the game giving you a real "league" feel. etc...
Old 04-03-2009, 09:10 AM   #119
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
But are you saying that if they got the gameplay to or above the level you enjoyed in the PS2 days, the presentation was at or above the 2K5 level, and the graphics were crazy... you wouldn't buy the game? Is it really online franchise-or bust?
See man that's the real question. To be honest I never had a problem with Madden, I know people talk about how unrealistic it is and all the features that are missing etc, but to me I have always liked Madden and I consider myself a Sim Gamer. All that changed when NCAA created Online Dynasty. Why spend hours to myself repeatedly kicking the computer's *** when I can compete other players several of whom are better than myself to get the National Title. when Madden came out last year I was knee deep in a Online Dynasty and when we all discovered online wasn't in Madden we were depressed. In fact two of my friends only bought the game because I told them it was in the game and they were pissed they had to return it. Everyone I know who plays Online in NCAA still plays the game. I have absolutely no friends who still play Madden nor any that still own the game. So to me is probably 90% to 10% that I but Madden without Online Dynasty. Why play Madden by myself? Games like GTAIV and MGS are 10x better and more intrigiuing than playing football against a CPU I can defeat any time I get ready. I will have no problem coming here and saying Madden "looks improved" or is a "great game" but I wont eb spending money again until I see Online Franchise.

p.s. (I actually play a lot of MLB The Show myself without Online Seasons but baseball is different and I have no friends who play MLB. Plus, I have absolutely no faith Madden can reach MLB The Show's lvl from where it is in one development cycle. It's not anything against Ian or EA, but if they can't get online in one year there is no way they bridge that gap.)
Old 04-03-2009, 09:16 AM   #120
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadeEmAll
p.s. (I actually play a lot of MLB The Show myself without Online Seasons but baseball is different and I have no friends who play MLB. Plus, I have absolutely no faith Madden can reach MLB The Show's lvl from where it is in one development cycle. It's not anything against Ian or EA, but if they can't get online in one year there is no way they bridge that gap.)
If I were Ian (and I am definitely not) I would print this out and tape it to every person's cubicle this morning.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »