Home

Am I the only one that doesn't care about online franchise?

This is a discussion on Am I the only one that doesn't care about online franchise? within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
Madden NFL 22 Scouting Update Pushed to Mid-October - More Details Revealed
NBA 2K22 Review: The Best 2K Game in Years
FIFA 22 First Impressions
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 04-03-2009, 01:49 PM   #145
MVP

OVR: 13
Re: Am I the only one that doesn't care about online franchise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
But the problem is, they still have to build the code, do the testing from the user side, and server side, plus I'm guessing that anything that goes through XBL will have to be approved by Microsoft in some way. This is something that they'd have to have been working on for likely longer than a cycle.

If I'm not mistaken, I recall Phil Frazier saying in an interview last year that they'd been working to get online leagues in the game for a while. That could probably mean they've been working on it for a few cycles. I'd like to hear from them what type of work that took and also what it would take specifically to have an online franchise. I think it would be interesting to hear about those challenges.
OH man don't remind me of the league system from Madden 09... I find it hard to stomach that any coding effort was spent on that... Talk about a waste of resources.

Quote:
I think most people would have that response to what they feel is bad gameplay, so I can understand that. And I think it says something about how important the game on the field is over modes and other things.
Gameplay is always #1 no matter what, that we can always agree on. I feel that the Madden 10 gameplay is going to be a good enough improvement over 09 that I'm going to sit there and say... damn this is good... but DAMN why can't I do on-line franchise with it

Quote:
I never really thought about tiers to this before, but that's a good observation.

My profile is kinda like this... I have a deep knowledge of the history of the game, not so much X's and O's. I know authenticity when I see it and the opposite of that when I see it. I don't play a lot, but analyze a lot, lol. I analyze this game far more than I've actually played it. My playing habits are casual but would be more hardcore if the game had more of the things I'm looking for. So I guess at the moment I'm a casual player with a hardcore's want-list with the hope of the game adding those things so I can become a hardcore player, lol. Does that make any sense?
It makes sense Really everyone has their own unique category that they fall in for the most part.

Quote:
Well, I think we can both agree that Madden today is not as good as it was in any of the past generations taking into account how each game faired within the context of the technology available in their times.
Don't even have to throw the tech clarification in there, PS2 Madden 05-09 has been hands down better than any Madden on the NG system.

Quote:
So at the very least, I think we'd expect for it to reach the level of excellence it had in the past. I think we'll know when it hits.
True, but they have to make up ground. I don't think they can sit there and say.. well... sorry about the last 5 years... Efforts must be stepped up to catch up to the standard that we expect.

Quote:
But it could be coming this year. The thing is, if they're going to do it then they'd have to have been working on it for a while now.
I would love to hope that the On-line League code they used in 09 is not a complete waste and that it made it possible for on-line franchises to be introduced in Madden 10... hopefully.

Quote:
But are you saying that if they got the gameplay to or above the level you enjoyed in the PS2 days, the presentation was at or above the 2K5 level, and the graphics were crazy... you wouldn't buy the game? Is it really online franchise-or bust?
IF they give me the camera angles I want, and if the gameplay is intriguing enough to where I want to learn the ins and outs of the game like I did on the PS2, then I MIGHT be able to entertain myself for long enough without on-line franchise, but either way I doubt I'd play it for more than a month or two... I can't play against the CPU, I find absolutely no satisfaction in that what so ever, so it would have to be "Play Now" with regular teams which gets old very fast, or we'd try to use workaround to simulate an on-line franchise as best we could... I mean we'll definitely try everything we can to find a way, but if there's absolutely no viable solution, I will either not buy the game or buy it used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1ARk5
Yea I hear you too, but I am just afraid that the dev's will listen the few people that actually care about online franchise as oppose to the masses that prefer offline.
Why do you guys think that they will do on-line franchise before they fix off-lien franchise?! Who in their right mind would take that approach? OBVIOUSLY they will fix off-line franchise first and then port it on-line, this is a no brainer. OFF-Line franchise lovers have NOTHING to fear from on-line franchise, absolutely nothing.

Last edited by CapnKill; 04-03-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2009, 02:22 PM   #146
MVP

OVR: 27

The thing with the XBL numbers though, is that they fluctuate. You'd probably see the number increase a lot whenever a new system model drops, like I bet it went up a lot when the Arcade dropped since you get 30 days free of Gold or something to that effect and they appeared to have sold pretty well.

That article from Kokatu was posted in January (EDIT: January *2008*), so you have to factor in the holiday spike.

Another question is, how many of those 10 million were or are still active now?

Microsoft is known for fudging numbers, and I honestly find the figure they post of "paying subscribers" to be suspicious at best. But the point is that as you start to chop away at the possibilities and then ask yourself just how many of those people own Madden and are playing Madden online with Gold, the number shrinks a lot.

Let's do a rough estimate using the 1% rule (if you're in marketing/promotion then you'll know this pretty well).

*10 Million Gold subscribers ----> Let's say 1% of that base plays Madden online

*That's 100,000 people who play Madden online, which is not a bad number at all.

Whenever I've gone into the Madden online service, I see a few hundred here, a few hundred there, sometimes less, and that's about it. I'm guessing you get a lot of people popping in and out 24 hrs a day so that increases the user numbers, but it's not like an explosion of traffic all at once 24 hours a day, and if it were the servers would likely jam.

*Now, of that 100,000 that potentially play Madden online, how many of them would use online franchise? I don't know, that's the unknown. But I do know this... Madden sold around 3.8 Million copies with 09 between 360/PS3 combined. If for the sake of the argument 100,000 were the number of Madden online players, that would mean that only 2.6% of people who bought Madden on 360/PS3 combined, play online. That's a high enough number to ensure that you always run into enough people to play, but the question is this:

Would 2.6% be enough to warrant devoting serious development resources and time to the mode?

Last edited by TheWatcher; 04-03-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:42 PM   #147
Banned

OVR: 26

I think you are dead wrong. I could eassily imagine more than 20% of people play Madden online. and even a 2% increase in sales adds up to millions of dollars in revenue, so yeah it's worth it.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:48 PM   #148
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by FadeEmAll
I think you are dead wrong. I could eassily imagine more than 20% of people play Madden online. and even a 2% increase in sales adds up to millions of dollars in revenue, so yeah it's worth it.
Regardless I'd say on-line is the standard in this present time. For Madden to not have all the on-line features that are becoming the norm in other sports titles should be an embarrassment to EA.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:51 PM   #149
Banned

OVR: 38

Online is the future
Old 04-03-2009, 02:54 PM   #150
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by boucher
Online is the future
Does that mean honest opponents are the future as well?
Old 04-03-2009, 02:54 PM   #151
Guns Up!

Solidice's Arena

OVR: 63

I haven't play much of Madden(or any NFL game) lately, but do play NCAA. in the past I never played online in NCAA. the first time I played NCAA online was with NCAA '08 with some guys from OS. then when '09 dropped and brought Online Dynasty, I joined one of those.

I've always been a dynasty mode player, and now that it's online, I get my chance to play against humans(other than my friends who I beat all the time). you get the same experience as offline dynasty(120 teams, 60 years of dynasty), but with more of a challenge as the other human users(up to 12 users) are recruiting against you, playing you, etc. brings back memories when me and a group of friends would play a multi-user offline dynasty and play through a few seasons. if Madden got Online Franchise, it may get me to buy the game, but I haven't been to trilled by the franchise mode of Madden as of late.
Battle.net ID: Solidice#11688

Current Rotation: Destiny 2 (XB,PC), Stellaris (PC)
Games on the list to play: Too many to fit here
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2009, 02:57 PM   #152
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by boucher
Online is the future
Online is the PRESENT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marktg30
Does that mean honest opponents are the future as well?
Its funny if you think about it... most people that don't care about on-line franchise just don't care about on-line because of all the cheesers.... but the ultimate solution to not dealing with cheesers is... On-Line Franchise!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »