Home

Could we please have more info on fight for the fumble?

This is a discussion on Could we please have more info on fight for the fumble? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-01-2009, 12:53 AM   #81
All Star

OVR: 33
Re: Could we please have more info on fight for the fumble?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaa07jones
I honestly don't see anything wrong with toggeling the analog stick or button smashing to break a tackle, How else will you break a tackle?

Same goes for fighting for the fumble, as long as it doesn't go into some Dragonball Z type of cut scene, you gotta win the fumble some how. In real life there is a struggle, you can't just run up to it..
I wouldn't mind seeing Bob Sanders go supersayian and go get the ball lol.

Breaking a tackle is a combination of stick skill and ratings. Why shouldn't ripping and scratching to get the ball be the same.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2009, 01:29 AM   #82
Rookie

OVR: 8

I think the user can dive into the pile and whoever comes out with the ball is based on position, timing, strength, and possibly other factors.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:56 AM   #83
MVP

OVR: 39

I would like to know if there will be variations in the pile ups?

Will the size/players involved change depending on how many are around the ball? I would hate for it to look the same each time...one huge mass of bodies, its not always like that.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:08 AM   #84
Rookie

nsilvano21's Arena

OVR: 4

One thing im concerned about is players morphing into each other. Can we fix the morph?

I think in order to get a fumble, you should have to use both analog sticks and somehow combine another button to try and grab it. Maybe the same button as the strip button. Try and avoid it from feeling like Mario Party tho.

Another thing, i know EA didnt announce yet how much they updated the Challenge system in Madden 10, but if we are fighting for a fumble, make sure if someone challenges it, it isnt reversed. Obviously you cant see everyone grabbing for the ball so if someone would challenge and win the challenge eventhough the camera angles wouldnt show the ball at all, that would be pretty lame.

they should have an animation tho for a lineman that tries to be the hero and scoop up the ball and try to run with it, have him stumble and fall over, then cause a fight for the ball. not sure how this system for fighting for the ball will work but i hope you cant sense it when it will happen when you do fumble. for example, a player sometimes scoops up a ball right away, and sometimes they dont.

ratings/situation/weather should all play a factor in to this. no button mashing tho. i dont want to feel like im playing a wrestling game, trying to break out of a pin after a finishing move.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:13 AM   #85
MVP

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsilvano21
they should have an animation tho for a lineman that tries to be the hero and scoop up the ball and try to run with it, have him stumble and fall over, then cause a fight for the ball. not sure how this system for fighting for the ball will work but i hope you cant sense it when it will happen when you do fumble. for example, a player sometimes scoops up a ball right away, and sometimes they dont.
this would be great, along with an updated challenge system
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2009, 03:01 AM   #86
Rookie

OVR: 2

What about if when there was a fumble, random combination of 3 buttons appears onscreen and the quickest to punch in the combo recovers the fumble? i.e. fumble then you see (X, RT, RB) on screen and you scramble to punch in those buttons in that order. Or if no one does it in time, it's just random.

Just an idea.

The biggest way to keep it fair and involve "skill" is to have results be based on quickness reflexes and accuracy.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:05 AM   #87
Hall of Fame

JohnDoe8865's Arena

OVR: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by tron8
What about if when there was a fumble, random combination of 3 buttons appears onscreen and the quickest to punch in the combo recovers the fumble? i.e. fumble then you see (X, RT, RB) on screen and you scramble to punch in those buttons in that order. Or if no one does it in time, it's just random.

Just an idea.

The biggest way to keep it fair and involve "skill" is to have results be based on quickness reflexes and accuracy.
I already proposed a very involved QTE which is what you are describing and the community generally seems against it. I understand why, it does remind you that it's a video game, but I'm really hoping that EA and Tiburon can figure out something better than just making it random, We've had random or canned outcomes for years now basically and I'd like to "Fight for the Fumble" in M10.

NFL - Carolina Panthers
NBA - Charlotte Hornets
MLB - Cincinnati Reds
College Basketball - Wake Forest
NCAA Football - Appalachian State
Old 04-01-2009, 03:12 AM   #88
MVP

OVR: 11

This is what I'd like to see...

Once the ball comes out, you have control of your selected player ONLY until the ball is contacted.

After the ball is contacted, you no longer have control of your players as the camera zooms out to show the scurry for the ball.

With the camera still zoomed out, we should see players jumping around the pile pointing in their favor (although, they really can't tell who has the ball. Just like in real life.)

Who recovers the ball should be random as someone already suggested, but I'll add that the team with the most players around the ball should have a greater chance of gaining possession.

The booth now takes over as they discuss what just occurred as we see a replay of the pile up. Not the fumble.

During their discussion the crowd either cheers or boos as the camera zooms in on the player that recovers the ball.

You still have an option to challenge the fumble if it isn't in to your advantage.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »