Home

Would bringing back the old Vision Cone be that bad?

This is a discussion on Would bringing back the old Vision Cone be that bad? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #9
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Would bringing back the old Vision Cone be that bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
I always had mixed emotions about the QB cone and one of the problems I had was that you had to not only make your reads, but you also had to make your QB make your reads and that delay really messed me up. I also don't liek the idea of staring a reciver down. I try to watch the SS and Mike backer and decied what the coverage is to make my throws. Good QBs liek Manning and Brady read the D and bad QBs like Alex Smith and Rex Grossman stare recivers down. The game tries to show this by giving Manning and Brady super vision while giving Grossman and Smith tunnel vision. This was realistic, but as a player I know how to run my offense and if I were the head coach I would instruct and work with my QB teaching them how to read the D and not stare recivers down. When I play the game I hate having to read the D, then hold RT/R2 and press the reciver's button and wait for the cone to move [which may take too long and he isn't open anymore] to make a pass.

This is a fine line. I agree that players in your example drive me nuts, but why should players who understand thier reads be punished by a sluggish cone? I know that in cover 2 man under my slant will be open and that against a cover 2 zone under that my post will be open and that against a cover 4 my flats route will be open. But in each exampel I have ot make my QB know that too and wait. *sigh*
how did you move the cone? with the analog stick or with R trigger (or R2) and the receiver icon? because the trigger + button icon was an instant head swivel in that guy's direction.
And you could select which receiver was #1 in the progression by holding R and pressing his icon before you snapped the ball. It really wasn't all that bad. But if they could speed it up if people felt it was too slow then I'm down with that.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 6

To me having a lighted cone on the field takes away from the feel of realism. It's just as bad as the lighted squares in the endzone for celebrations.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:12 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 19

I would love it. Especially if it works when trying to look off a safety. Pump fakes could be lethal. If it's in the game, it must have an on/off toggle.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2009, 03:16 PM   #12
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

I agree with you guys when you say it looks unrealistic on the field but I guess I'll hold final judgment on this issue until we have some actual gameplay or the demo. Because in that "fake" vision cone pic, if Warner's head never moves from the position that it's in and he fires a pass to the X receiver then in my eyes that's way more unrealistic than a transparent cone telling you what your QB can and can't see. So if that pass comes of pretty inaccurate without a cone I'll be cool, but if it's on the money then we have a QB who can see through the side of his head...
Old 04-01-2009, 03:19 PM   #13
#faceuary2014

ScoobySnax's Arena

OVR: 30

Here's my rationale. When I play Madden, I am the quarterback. I go through my progressions on field and when someone is open, I get them the ball. I don't need to have the QB move his head because I am looking around the field. It makes perfect sense to NOT have QB Vision.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:23 PM   #14
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxplosive1984
Here's my rationale. When I play Madden, I am the quarterback. I go through my progressions on field and when someone is open, I get them the ball. I don't need to have the QB move his head because I am looking around the field. It makes perfect sense to NOT have QB Vision.
But then that's not quite realistic then if the QB can make accurate throws to guy's he's not looking at on the field. If the mantra is "see it on sundays, see it in Madden" then were's the dude who sees the receiver for the QB in real life? I think the concept of the cone adds realism...the visual might subtract some. But I'd be willing to take that deduction.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:24 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxplosive1984
Exactly. With the vision cone your in essence having to make your read twice. In the NFL and in Madden there isn't enough time to do that. The player is reading the field as the QB.

We need some kind of peripheral that scans our eyes as we play and that controls the vision cone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2009, 03:28 PM   #16
#faceuary2014

ScoobySnax's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnutt6
Exactly. With the vision cone your in essence having to make your read twice. In the NFL and in Madden there isn't enough time to do that. The player is reading the field as the QB.

We need some kind of peripheral that scans our eyes as we play and that controls the vision cone.
We'll call it "GameVision". Let's get it patented LOL!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »