Home

Would bringing back the old Vision Cone be that bad?

This is a discussion on Would bringing back the old Vision Cone be that bad? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-01-2009, 08:02 PM   #49
Rookie

OVR: 8
Re: Would bringing back the old Vision Cone be that bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
I'm just curious...how did you use the old cone? Everyone who's said they hated it never clarified how they used it. It seems like folks who did like it used the trigger to change targets and not the analog stick, for example: if Jerrico Cotchery is the B receiver on the left side of the field and your QB is looking towards the right sideline, a look and throw to Jerrico would be "RT+B, let go of RT, tap B." As opposed to just mashing B and the QB throwing the ball to a guy who he could have only known was open if he could see through the side of his head

Did you try to swivel the cone all over the field and then try to throw? I just think it'd be better if QBs had to actually visually see where they were throwing the ball, not whipping around and firing a pass across the field to a guy they couldn't see.
Back in the day, I started off with the stick (it was way too big of an adjustment) and then I tried out the trigger and loved the feature. I didn't find that it took forever to do everything. The best QBing I've accomplished in Madden was during the vision cone years and I used the Ravens!!!

Using the trigger would turn the head quite quickly and if I got sacked because I took too long, so be it, people get sacked for taking too long in real life too. I wasn't taking obscene amount of sacks. It took some time getting used to (but not a huge learning curve) and it made the game more enjoyable for me.

Reading the opposing QB on defense let me take my safety (Ed Reed) and try and roam the field. Sometimes I'd jump routes for picks, other times I'd get looked off and be way out of position. It was great IMO. I have had 0 fun playing defense ever since it's been phased out and I don't really use my safeties anymore unless I'm utilizing them as an 8th man in the box. I found it more enjoyable using my safety the whole play and making reads as opposed to just switching defenders once a ball is thrown and just use stick skills to try and get a pick (which IMO doesn't require a lot of thinking).
Old 04-01-2009, 08:05 PM   #50
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLRams
Yes, it would be that bad. NFL football games where fine before the vision cone, and they where fine without it. It just does not look good and it just doesn't seem SIM.
Do passing icons seem unsim, because I don't see those on Sundays either. Football games were not fine without the vision cone. You had players subbing in back up QBs simply because they're were faster, their awareness means nothing. Now, how exactly is that sim?

IMO the vision cone or some sort of indication as to where the QB is looking, whether it's a cone or the passing icons of the WR that the QB is looking at are enlarged or highlighted in some way. Procedural awareness CANNOT be fully implemented with out a cone or some sort of indication as to which receiver the QB is looking at.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:31 PM   #51
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
I sent Ian a message about your "double tap" theory Pnutt, to see what he thinks. I really like the idea. If I want to look off a safety by pressing B and staring down a receiver until I see my true target get open and then press the button corresponding to him and again to fire the pass in there, that'd be pretty sick.

Nice idea man.
I'm diggin' that idea as well. Better than the vision cone IMO. Pnutt should start a new thread with a poll to gauge the amount of support.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2009, 09:36 PM   #52
MVP

g2thecore's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
I'm just curious...how did you use the old cone? Everyone who's said they hated it never clarified how they used it. It seems like folks who did like it used the trigger to change targets and not the analog stick, for example: if Jerrico Cotchery is the B receiver on the left side of the field and your QB is looking towards the right sideline, a look and throw to Jerrico would be "RT+B, let go of RT, tap B." As opposed to just mashing B and the QB throwing the ball to a guy who he could have only known was open if he could see through the side of his head

Did you try to swivel the cone all over the field and then try to throw? I just think it'd be better if QBs had to actually visually see where they were throwing the ball, not whipping around and firing a pass across the field to a guy they couldn't see.
I used it in both ways. It just never appealed to me. Believe me I get the thought behind the feature, I just never liked the way it was implemented. It made the game that much harder to play. To each his own. Like I said, I won't mind if they bring it back, just as long as they give us the option to turn it off.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:45 PM   #53
Rookie

I actually just came up with an add on to Pnutts original idea. Instead of the double tap, how about you tap once to "lock on/stare down" a receiver, then use the Right stick to throw the football. The right stick would be a more natural passing action than simply pressing a button.

Here's how I think it could work. I was thinking pulling the stick back and letting go could make a pump fake. Pulling the stick back and then forward would be the throw. This IMO would make the passing game more realistic. You wouldn't just have to "tap" for a lob or "press" for a bullet. With this system you would have much more varied passing speeds and delivery speeds. Might need some work, but what do you guys think.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:46 PM   #54
Rookie

I don't understand why people bash the cone? It was the most realistic aspect of Madden. It was challenging yes, frustrating at times yes, but it made a touchdown be that much sweeter and more deserving.

We are going for SIM right people? Because if we are not than let me know and stop BS-ing me with all of this "SIM" talk. If you like to play with 12 year old Billy Baxter on a blue bean bag and score 70 points a game then fine.

This "Cone" or something similar to it would be nice and make the game that much more challenging. Why do think on Sundays the quarterbacks go crazy when they complete a touchdown pass or a big play? Because it was TOUGH people!!! It was CHALLENGING!!!The cone forces us to read receivers and pay attention to them that much more all at the same time of reading the defense.

But no, I just want to sit back eat my lucky charms and not think that hard. I rather just move my eye balls a tad to the left then the right and have my brain tell my fingers to press A. Oooooo that is soooo hard. Easy touchdown for me!!! yay!!!

Stop saying its stupid people. Just say it too challenging aka: Hard. Be real............

That's just my $1,000,000,000 cents.

Are we finally going to get some attention in this years Madden?
Old 04-01-2009, 09:49 PM   #55
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by polamalu82
I actually just came up with an add on to Pnutts original idea. Instead of the double tap, how about you tap once to "lock on/stare down" a receiver, then use the Right stick to throw the football. The right stick would be a more natural passing action than simply pressing a button.

Here's how I think it could work. I was thinking pulling the stick back and letting go could make a pump fake. Pulling the stick back and then forward would be the throw. This IMO would make the passing game more realistic. You wouldn't just have to "tap" for a lob or "press" for a bullet. With this system you would have much more varied passing speeds and delivery speeds. Might need some work, but what do you guys think.
Not bad.

Are we finally going to get some attention in this years Madden?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2009, 09:54 PM   #56
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxplosive1984
Here's my rationale. When I play Madden, I am the quarterback. I go through my progressions on field and when someone is open, I get them the ball. I don't need to have the QB move his head because I am looking around the field. It makes perfect sense to NOT have QB Vision.
But this is not realistic. If your on a field how can you see all of your WR's at once when the ball gets snapped. You cant, and that is what the vision cone made you do. It made you read the defense pre snap and makes you decide who to look at 1st and 2nd, because in reality a real QB doesn't have enough time to get to his 3rd or 4th read. Only Tom Brady has that luxury lol.

The only argument people have that don't like it is that it looked stupid, but it was a sim feature, and Made playing the QB position in a video game more challenging.

It should come back easily and Just make it a option. I love playing those that don't use it. I feel its a great tool to bust their a55 when they play in the secondary. The things I do to them its awesome.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »