Home

Back To The Future: Got Madden '05 on PS2 for $5, it's better than '09.

This is a discussion on Back To The Future: Got Madden '05 on PS2 for $5, it's better than '09. within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 03:08 PM   #41
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Back To The Future: Got Madden '05 on PS2 for $5, it's better than '09.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump
I bought this about a month ago on xbox for $10.

It is the best madden by far in my opinion.

I love that there is no truck stick. When I first played madden with the truckstick, I liked it. Until I realised that the stick was all I was using to evade or break tackles. It became boring real quick.

In 05 the cover ball works like a realistic truck stick. You shed tacklers instead of plowing through them.

And we NEED the pressure sensitive jukes back or something similar. Squirting through a closing hole with a quick juke is amazing.

The best part is that the games defense is tough without ungodly amounts of interceptions or sacks.

The one major criticism I have of this game is that running inside the tackles results in alot of mario running, but I think that can be said for every ps2/xbox madden.
Can't get enough of the speed juke. It's damn near orgasmic compared to the current game. You really can time it to cut up into the hole, and if you turn down the CPU tackling you can have some great runs where the defenders just barely miss you instead of always sucking you in.

I do agree though that if you hit your own linemen it gets ugly pretty quick. But overall the running game is still more sim and more fun on '05 than it is in '09 and that says alot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2009, 03:15 PM   #42
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

It seems there are two camps here, those who loved 05 and those who loved 07 and 08 on ps2/XBox. I loved 07/08.

The real stance seems to be custom playbooks vs all the new features in 08. Formation shifts, formation audibles, on-the-fly audibles, easy to use and tuned defensive playmaker, very well tuned franchise mode and in-season progression mode, the truck stick that became the highlight stick, hit stick 2.0, etc.

In my opinion there was so much lacking in 05 looking backwards that revolutionized the way you play madden against the computer and in franchise mode that made those games all unforgetable. I don't know if 08 is compatable for 360. If it is I may buy it before M10 comes out.

Last edited by PGaither84; 04-06-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:21 PM   #43
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
You said all of that to basically say that you are a super-button-combo cheezer. Great. Proud of you. Bet you can get that 10 hit combo in Street Fighter too. So what?

RIDICULOUSLY COMPLEX BUTTON COMBOS ARE NOT SIM

And neither is the cone.

Warner is a system QB. He just played in 2 great systems with 4 HOF level WRs. He's lucky, not great. I would love to see what Donovan McNabb or Ben Roethlisberger could do with Bruce, Holt, Fitzgerald and Boldin.

Football is not about button combos. That's what you coners don't get. It's about strategy. It's about predicting what the other guy is going to do. The cone does not simulate, replicate, or approximate this in any way, shape or form. Perid.
Super button combos? What are you talking about. R2 + WR button... Holy crap, that's two buttons at the same time!!!! RUN AWAY!! RUN AWAY!!

Once you get the hang of it the cone becomes second nature. You don't even THINK about it, and then you can appropriate the new layer of sim it brings to the table, but obviously you got no where near that far. You saw that two buttons are required and your brain melted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
I was right, the cone is dead and will never be seen again. Ever.

I win.

Thanks for playing.
Yep, you were right. You represent the masses unfortunately, and the masses you represent are the same ones that have helped dictate Maddens progress to what we have now (not a good thing).

You are the guy they put those stupid *** icons underneath each player for. The little shoe underneath the "fast" guy, that's for you cause you couldn't be bothered to look at the players stats, its just too hard to do. Too many button combinations to get you to the stat screen. How can you possibly master all those crazy button combinations! Too bad they can't make two version of the game, the normal version, and the pussified version (that one is for you).
Old 04-06-2009, 04:00 PM   #44
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
It seems there are two camps here, those who loved 05 and those who loved 07 and 08 on ps2/XBox. I loved 07/08.

The real stance seems to be custom playbooks vs all the new features in 08. Formation shifts, formation audibles, on-the-fly audibles, easy to use and tuned defensive playmaker, very well tuned franchise mode and in-season progression mode, the truck stick that became the highlight stick, hit stick 2.0, etc.

In my opinion there was so much lacking in 05 looking backwards that revolutionized the way you play madden against the computer and in franchise mode that made those games all unforgetable. I don't know if 08 is compatable for 360. If it is I may buy it before M10 comes out.
I didn't play '08 for very long. It does have some good improvements in it that I could see, even though those "weapon" things were dumb.

Someone else mentioned the trigger juke. It really should make a comeback. Being able to modulate which kind of juke you got made running between the tackles quite the joy.

If we could get '10 to be as complete as '05 and '08 were on the old system I think alot of people (including me) would be pretty satisfied for awhile.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:05 PM   #45
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

i am resurecting 07 as we speak.

i love the cone but i will say it was not strategic in head ot head matches but cpu matches i LOVE IT.

what you guys need to do if you ever run a franchise of any kind is first select all 32 teams then edit their schemes like making teams play more like themselves ex. i made teams like SF and Titans pound the rock more. then next season i change them back to cpu control . thank god for owner mode.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2009, 05:22 PM   #46
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalnirvava

i love the cone but i will say it was not strategic in head ot head matches but cpu matches i LOVE IT.

what you guys need to do if you ever run a franchise of any kind is first select all 32 teams then edit their schemes like making teams play more like themselves ex. i made teams like SF and Titans pound the rock more. then next season i change them back to cpu control . thank god for owner mode.
Good call.

Like I said before, I think the cone was a bad solution to a valid issue. The "head turning" thing has merit, and I would support it's implementation.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:22 PM   #47
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalnirvava

I found quite the opposite to be true. I didn't find much use for it in fooling the AI, didn't really care to, but the ability it provided to fool a user controlled Safety was invaluable.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:44 PM   #48
Pro

Jump's Arena

OVR: 12

Wow. I just played 09 on 360 after fooling around with 05 for a while.

I'll just say that I'm really glad that Ian did that blog on momentum. The twitchyness(a word?) of the players in full sprint is unbearable.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »