Home

NCAA pic shows the procedural awareness

This is a discussion on NCAA pic shows the procedural awareness within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 04-04-2009, 09:49 AM   #25
Banned

OVR: 12
Re: NCAA pic shows the procedural awareness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
The refs don't run a full IK solution (it was way too expensive on the CPU to add 7 more characters running IK) so that means they can't do procedural awareness. They do track their targets though (i.e. the line play for the head ref, the ballcarrier for the line judge, etc) with a simpler system and it looks pretty solid. IMO it's not as good as PA, but they definitely don't look like robots...they follow the ball and their correct assignments.
How will procedural awareness affect the QBs ? Will QBs be able to throw passes where they're not looking ? If they won't be able to throw the ball at receiver's they're not looking at, doesn't their need to be something that indicates to the user where the QB is looking?

People hated the cone, so an alternative would be to highlight or enlarge the receiver's icon that the QB is looking at. You could use a double tap system, where you'd tap the button once make the QB look at receiver and a second time to throw it.

Last edited by Tito78; 04-04-2009 at 10:00 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2009, 10:31 AM   #26
MVP

OVR: 15

I agree that this PA system is going to look great in gameplay. Any word yet on if it actually effects gameplay though? Such as players cant just go running after the ball or where it is thrown to if they arent even looking?

Also, not sure if you can answer this Ian but do the refs throw flags in realtime? For example if a ref calls a holding penalty will I see him throw the flag while I am still standing in the pocket looking for who to throw to?
Old 04-04-2009, 10:59 AM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 9

That looks great. And, ya, it would be cool if they actually talked instead of just giving the illusion of talking. Even if it is canned...
Old 04-04-2009, 11:22 AM   #28
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito78

People hated the cone, so an alternative would be to highlight or enlarge the receiver's icon that the QB is looking at. You could use a double tap system, where you'd tap the button once make the QB look at receiver and a second time to throw it.
I had the same thought. Really like that idea.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 04-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #29
Rookie

^Interestingly enough, the 'double-tap receiver button' system was used to pump-fake in the 2K games.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:49 PM   #30
Pro

Another good thing about having to double tap is it's another way to get a QB like Tom Brady to feel "smarter" than a Vince Young. You can adjust the response time it takes between looking at your receiver and being able to press it again to throw the ball. Or in other words the time it takes for him to scan from one receiver to another.

The difference shouldn't be too significant but enough to be noticeable. I think this is a great way to emulate the QB's vision. Great idea. Hopefully it would affect the coverage based on who you're looking at as well.

Last edited by NYyankz225; 04-04-2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:52 PM   #31
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

For the cone and double tap people ect. My question to you is this. Do you want the defense to reach the QB at a realistic speed rate? Do you want your defenders to take the shortest route to the QB possible when it is there, real pockets ect., If you do, I cannot see how you can advocate any extra button pressing or the cone. If the defense is going to be like it should then I just cannot see how you can advocate these things. How are you going to have time to press all of those buttons? If you find yourself in 3rd and long you will never get the pass off.

I'm not saying this is the case, but it seems like when you guys are thinking about this thing you are thinking about it without a defense on the field attempting to get after the QB. If the defense is going to be as fast as it should be, you will not have time for your character on the field to be looking all around making decisions AFTER YOU the player have already made them in your mind. He'd need to make them as fast as you are making them, but he can't. He can only make your decisions AFTER you have made them. And if the defense is as it should be (getting to the QB within 3 to 5 seconds, on super blitzes without protection even less time), he's gonna be dead more often than not.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #32
Pro

How do you suggest we look off safeties then? Wouldn't you be interested in realistic QB play where it matters where the QB is looking? Do you want a QB to be able to just stare down a receiver and complete the pass? This is the best solution to fix that issue. It's quicker than a cone because you're simply pressing the button you want to throw with to make his head turn...and if you're throwing to your primary receiver you won't need to press it twice anyway.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »