Home

Old 04-04-2009, 01:26 PM   #1
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
All-Time SF 49ers

Rules for an All-Time Team:
A player may only Play for one All-Time team. There can be open debate about which team a player should play for.

QB: Joe Montana, Steve Young, John Brodie
RB: Roger Craig, Garrison Hearst, Frank Gore
FB: Joe Perry, Tom Rathman, Fed Beasly
WR: Jery Rice, Terrell Owens, Dwight Clark, John Taylor, Freddy Solomon
TE: Brent Jones, Charlie Young, Russ Francis
C: Jessie Sapolu, Fred Quillan
G: Randy Cross, Guy McIntyre, Ray Brown
T: Bob St. Clair, Harris Barton, Bubba Paris, Derrick Deese

DE: Fred Dean, Dwaine Board, Charles Haley, Chris Doleman
DT: Bryant Young, Dana Stublefield, Michael Carter
OLB: Jack "Hacksaw" Reynolds, Julian Peterson [Ideas?]*
ILB: Keena Turner, Matt Millen, Gary Pummer, **
CB: Eric Wright, Don Griffin, Darryl Pollard, Ahmed Plummer, Walt Harris
FS: Merton Hanks, Carlton Williamson, Jeff Fuller
SS: Ronnie Lott, Tim McDonald, Lance Shulters

P: Andy Lee
K: Ray Wershing
KR: ?

*: Charles Haley Will be in the rotation as the starting DE in 4-3 and as a OLB in the 3-4.
**: Patrick Willis is a beast and is likely going to one day be the starter of this All-time team, however, he is far too young at this point and has his whole carrer ahead of him to earn this title.

Current Starting Lineup

West Coast Offense

QB: Joe Montana
RB: Roger Craig
FB: Joe Perry
WR: Jery Rice, Dwight Clark, Terrell Owens
TE: Brent Jones
LT: Bob St. Clair
LG: Guy McIntyre
C: Jessie Sapolu
RG: Randy Cross
RT: Harris Barton

3-4 Defense

RE: Fred Dean
LE: Dwaine Board
DT: Bryant Young
ROLB: Charles Haley
RILB: Keena Turner
LILB: Matt Millen
LOLB: Jack Reynolds
CB: Eric Wright, Don Griffin, Darryl Pollard
FS: Merton Hanks
SS: Ronnie Lott

P: Andy Lee
K: Ray Wershing
KR: John Taylor

Last edited by PGaither84; 04-04-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2009, 01:31 PM   #2
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

Re: All-Time SF 49ers

I think it would be pretty cool to have other All-Time teams to work on, and to make it more fun I think there should be a bit of a debate as to what team "gets" what player. For example I think that while Ken Norton Jr was a great SF linebacker, he would fit in Dallas better adn conversely Charles Haley was a 49er first and formost. Haley won 3 titles with Dallas but that was at the end of his carrer that he made for himself in SF.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

I was working on an all-time roster for every team a while back, and I basically made the rule that a player can only be on one team. Deion is a Cowboy, for example, while Norton is a 'Niner.

At Quarterback, there can be some slight debate on the #3 guy. Y.A. Tittle is a Giant to me, so I leave him out. So it's between Brodie and Garcia. I'd probably go with Brodie as well, but Garcia holds most of the positional records for the team, so it's something to consider.

Hearst's short time there makes me want to question that pick, even though he's my personal favorite 'Niner. McElhenny deserves some consideration.

Richard Dent spent the '94 season injured and the O.J. Simpson trade was the Vikings-Walker trade before there was a Vikings-Walker trade.

As far as I'm concerned, a guy should only be a member of 1 all-time team. Deion Sanders is a Cowboy, Charles Haley is a Cowboy, Richard Dent is a Bear, O.J. is a Bill, Larry Allen is a Cowboy, Rod Woodson is a Steeler, Kevin Greene is a Panther, Wesley Walls is a Saint, but I can accept Bill Romonowski as a 'Niner, and Ken Norton Jr. most definitely is.

Terrell Owens is questionable. Probably more Cowboy than 'Niner, but the argument could be made either way.

Personally, I'm just going to do a starting lineup.

QB- Joe Montana
HB- Hugh McElhenny
FB- Joe Perry
WR- Jerry Rice
WR- Terrell Owens
TE- Brent Jones
T- Bob St.Clair, Harris Barton
G- Randy Cross, Derrick Deese
C- Jesse Sapolu (Bart Oats is a Giant)

DE- Fred Dean, Dwayne Board
DT- Bryant Young, Michael Carter
LB- Jack Reynolds, Keena Turner, Patrick Willis
CB- Eric Wright, Ronnie Lott
S- Merton Hanks, Tim McDonald

I'm putting the "best 11" on the field, so since Lott was as good a corner as he was a safety, I put him there to maximize the talent on the field.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:16 PM   #4
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

I agree with a lot you wrote there Adam. however there are a few I would disagree with. I feel Norton was Cowboy, Sanders was a Falcon, Owens and Charles Haley were 49ers. Norton played 6 years with dalas and 7 with the 49ers.

Norton was drafted to be a 49er killer and attack the ever prevelent West Coast offense and he did that very well in our play off matches and was a KEY defensive player helping lead the Cowboys to 2 Superbowl victories before becoming a 49er. You also have to keep in mind that the Bills were known for their high powered offense in the 90s. Dallas's D was a big part in shutting that down. I would agree that his prime may have been at the end of his time in Dallas and the years he was in SF, but I think it would be fair to call him a Cowboy. However, if Dallas doesn't want him, I'll take him. Also, the 49ers have a ton of MLBs in their history. Turrner, Plummer, Millen, and Willis not counting the great years with Norton.

Conversely, Charles Haley played 6 seasons with SF from 86-91 won 2 Superbowls and was a big part of our D, played 5 years in Dallas 92-96 and while he was a big part in thier Superbowl run, you know that his 3 titles came as a result of good timming as well. Also note that he was resigned by the 49ers for '98 and '99 seasons where he played a limited role and retired as a 49er. Also, you should see this video about the 1986 SF49ers draft if you haven't already.

I really like your view on All-Time teams and I will adopt that as the "Official ruels" and edit my post.

Finally I agree that while Lott played corner in his early years, Walsh saw that he was struggling as QBs would challenge Lott an average of 10 times a game. Lott is one of my All-Time favorite players but he was hardly a shut down corner. His big hits and All-Pro safty play made him a HOFer and one of, if not, the best ever.

P.S. Deion Sanders is a Falcon through and through. 5 years, 24 INTs, 3,388 kick return yrds on 147 attempts, 936 punt return yards on 93 attempts and 8TDs combined in ATL. He returned 7 kicks for 136yrds and 14 INTs in 6 years at dallas. he is possibly the best ever, but his best years came in the 5 with ATL and the one in SF.

Last edited by PGaither84; 04-04-2009 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:20 PM   #5
MVP

OVR: 21

With respect to Y.A. Tittle, he was a 49er for ten seasons and was only on the Giants from 1961-1964. Although the argument can be made that he did more in his time with the Giants than he did as a member of the Niners. Two seasons of 30+ TD passes (in a 14-game schedule) and three NFL Championship games.

New York Giants- 1927, 1934, 1938, 1956, 1986, 1990, 2007.

PSN ID- matt8204
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #6
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
Norton was drafted to be a 49er killer and attack the ever prevelent West Coast offense and he did that very well in our play off matches and was a KEY defensive player helping lead the Cowboys to 2 Superbowl victories before becoming a 49er. You also have to keep in mind that the Bills were known for their high powered offense in the 90s. Dallas's D was a big part in shutting that down. I would agree that his prime may have been at the end of his time in Dallas and the years he was in SF, but I think it would be fair to call him a Cowboy. However, if Dallas doesn't want him, I'll take him. Also, the 49ers have a ton of MLBs in their history. Turrner, Plummer, Millen, and Willis not counting the great years with Norton.
Norton made his identity with the 'Niners, he's remembered as a 'Niner, he's loved by 'Niners fans. Dallas fans, for the most part, could care less about the guy:P

Sometimes it's more about where a guy spends the later parts of his career, where he became an "ederstatesman". Haley's a good example there as well. Hell, the guy was a linebacker in SF. Who knows that other than 'Niners fans? Also, the way he left SF is a big part of it... and part of the reason I kinda question T.O.'s place on the all time 49ers.

To me, it's really about where a guy made his identity. What team do people associate him with. I'm willing to bet, if you take 'Niners fans and Cowboys fans out of the picture, most people think of Norton as a 'Niner.

Romo's really questionable. There are probably be as many people who'd call him a Bronco or a Raider as a 'Niner, but I think the fact that he really made his career in SF is the deciding factor for me.

BTW: If you're going to give guys like Wesley Walls an honorable mention, you gotta put Ed McCaffrey on the list too

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.

Last edited by adembroski; 04-04-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-04-2009, 02:47 PM   #7
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

I can respect that opinion Adam. I do liek where you are going there in regards to thier lore as a player. Right now we disagree on Haley and Norton. In the end I wouldn't mind swapping those guy around as they are both great. I would liek to read what others think about these players. Cowboys fans? Other 49ers fans? Giant's fans who hate both our teams?

I also like to concider what you said about putting the "best 11" on the field. In the end it doesn't really Matter to me if Norton or Haley, but I prefer Haley personally and think that he brings more versatility to the team.

P.S. please note that I will be editing the first post to keep the rotation going and to fine tune the team.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »