Home

Implementing unpredictability

This is a discussion on Implementing unpredictability within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Would you like to see this added to Madden 10?
Yes 69 73.40%
No 14 14.89%
Undecided 11 11.70%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-07-2009, 05:27 PM   #73
Banned

OVR: 25
Re: Implementing unpredictability

OMG...I love this thread man...Y'all got me ready to go play football!

I'm bout to find me a flag league or something...I can't wait for football season. I'm getting pumped, all this talk about realism & unpredictability bla bla...got me ready for the real thing.

Are you ready for some football!!!

Dat dat dat daaaa...dat..dat.....dat dat...

LMAO
Old 04-07-2009, 06:10 PM   #74
MVP

OVR: 55

To these guys saying they don't want unpredictability... do you want a SIM game? Do you see unpredictable plays in the NFL, deciding games, even SEASONS and DYNASTIES (the catch!)?! Of course you do. It's a part of football. That's not debatable. So for those not wanting it in, they don't want the most SIM football game possible.

Maybe if you don't like unpredictability football isn't for you. Maybe you need to play chess... or do math problems.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:18 PM   #75
Rookie

OVR: 5

I kind of think that some people are missing the mark with this recent talk. The point is not that you could fumble a snap on a game winning field goal and it'd be cool, cause it would suck. The whole point was to just see some of these things in the game. Maybe you see about two different things in a whole season. Maybe the ball slips out of your QBs hand as he goes to throw on a rainy day in the 1st quarter. No big deal but pretty frickin cool to see once in awhile. Maybe later in the season your in a close game in the 3rd quarter and the cpu has a punt go high over his head, through the endzone saftey and its your ball.

To me this is a pretty cool sounding feature. Again it definitly has a place in the game for players who want true sim, but like it was stated before there is also situations where it doesnt have a place, in trouneys and online it should probably be turn off. That seems easy enough. If you want it leave it on or turn it on, if you dont want it, just turn it off or leave it off.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2009, 08:26 PM   #76
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by packfan2009
I kind of think that some people are missing the mark with this recent talk. The point is not that you could fumble a snap on a game winning field goal and it'd be cool, cause it would suck. The whole point was to just see some of these things in the game. Maybe you see about two different things in a whole season. Maybe the ball slips out of your QBs hand as he goes to throw on a rainy day in the 1st quarter. No big deal but pretty frickin cool to see once in awhile. Maybe later in the season your in a close game in the 3rd quarter and the cpu has a punt go high over his head, through the endzone saftey and its your ball.

To me this is a pretty cool sounding feature. Again it definitly has a place in the game for players who want true sim, but like it was stated before there is also situations where it doesnt have a place, in trouneys and online it should probably be turn off. That seems easy enough. If you want it leave it on or turn it on, if you dont want it, just turn it off or leave it off.
Disagree

In the playoffs can NFL teams just "turn off" fumbles so their guys hold onto the ball?

Okay this needs to be stated. Just because we don't control it, doesn't mean it isn't part of football and shouldn't be included. Some things happen that are out of our hands. It's our job to put our guys in the best position to win and take advantage of the opportunities given to us. Sound familiar? IT's CALLED COMPETITION!

I can't believe this is even debatable for people.

"I don't want passed balls in my baseball game, the Catcher should block it every time, otherwise the CPU cheesed me"

I don't get it!
Old 04-08-2009, 07:56 AM   #77
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thudias
This happened to me once and boy oh boy did it hurt. I couldn't grip my ball for two weeks...and cocking was totally out of the question.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:21 AM   #78
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

I've been hitting and missing on this thread i.e. I've read bits and pieces here and there.

I don't know if you guys have come to an agreement on this already, but "unpredictability" should not be an option nor turn off in the fourth quarter. That's ridiculous.

Next, I think we're making too much of this. No, I'm not against "unpredictability"; I'm just saying there shouldn't be a concerted effort to get it in the game so that unpredictability happens at least once a game. EA should just create a series of animations sort of like APF2K8 has that play at random: QB stumbling during the dropback (saw that in rainy conditions), high snaps on field goals (NFL2K5), etc. But I wouldn't call that stuff which I've seen in those games "implementing unpredictability". It just seems like stuff that meshes with the game and happens as it should.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:31 AM   #79
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
I've been hitting and missing on this thread i.e. I've read bits and pieces here and there.

I don't know if you guys have come to an agreement on this already, but "unpredictability" should not be an option nor turn off in the fourth quarter. That's ridiculous.

Next, I think we're making too much of this. No, I'm not against "unpredictability"; I'm just saying there shouldn't be a concerted effort to get it in the game so that unpredictability happens at least once a game. EA should just create a series of animations sort of like APF2K8 has that play at random: QB stumbling during the dropback (saw that in rainy conditions), high snaps on field goals (NFL2K5), etc. But I wouldn't call that stuff which I've seen in those games "implementing unpredictability". It just seems like stuff that meshes with the game and happens as it should.
That's not what we are saying either. I want the events to be IN THE GAME! The probabilities that they occur can be in the single percentile, but the fact that it could happen at some point in the entire time I play Madden 10 (100's of games) is very appealing to me. I want to have that shadow of a doubt in games that something *could* go wrong (or right) for me. It doesn't mean FORCING these things to happen, it means having them programmed into the game.

I don't think everyone reading this understands probabilities. You can set the probabilities of an event to be very low, so let's say a fumbled snap only happens 1 in every 10000 snaps. Yes, this means someone could be unlucky and fumble their snap twice in a drive, but look at the chance of it?! VERY slim... just like in real life. These things still happen.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:47 AM   #80
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46

it should be on at all times, if disabled in the 4th it wouldnt be "random" just let these things come natural like part of the game play....Its been done in video games before(High Heat 04 for example)

Just make it part of the gameplay, like make animations for it....The "unperdictable" idea is gimmicky like the impact players idea for NCAA...they should also use the Chemistry/play knowledge from HC and improve on that too, in a older version of NCAA, your QB's would sometimes line up under a guard instead of the center under a hostile invironment...So yes EA could do something like this....every sports game should have something to do with CHEMISTRY

Last edited by Jukeman; 04-08-2009 at 08:57 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »