Home

Implementing unpredictability

This is a discussion on Implementing unpredictability within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Would you like to see this added to Madden 10?
Yes 69 73.40%
No 14 14.89%
Undecided 11 11.70%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-05-2009, 01:55 PM   #33
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Implementing unpredictability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotine 1
If you read my comments, you'll see that these things will not take place in the 4th qtr at all.
I just don't think that's a good enough moderation of the engine.

It needs to be truly dynamic, so that it can happen at anytime to anyone, just like real life. There needs to be a safety feature built into the CPU AI that will disconnect the causation so that the CPU can't use these things as a weapon against the human player.

Then, I think, it would work. Fumbles do affect the outcomes of games in the 4th quarter. That's real. But finding a way to make it work that's realistic and fair seems like quite a challenge because you can't base it on statistics alone. There has to be some dynamic element that causes it.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:58 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 55

I've posted this before: Unpredictability was the key cog in my 2 favorite football games of all time: Tecmo Super Bowl and All Pro Football 2k8. The feeling that ANYTHING can happen ANY play, just like in the NFL really gets me jacked to play against others!
Old 04-05-2009, 02:14 PM   #35
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingking77
See my other posts... Where unpredictabliltiy becomes predictable a la fumbles in the 4th like we had a couple years back... Again, see other posts...

You say see your other posts, but I already answered you. You seem to be ignoring the point. No 4th qtr unpredictability is being suggested. At all.

You think you'll be able to predict when these things will happen base on your experience from a previous game...you are mistaken.

This game is not that game. What I am suggesting here is not what you have experienced in another game...

I have read this thread entirely several times...I see nothing that you've said that I have not answered directly multiple times.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2009, 02:24 PM   #36
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

I'm all for realism

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 04-05-2009, 02:26 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
You say see your other posts, but I already answered you. You seem to be ignoring the point. No 4th qtr unpredictability is being suggested. At all.

You think you'll be able to predict when these things will happen base on your experience from a previous game...you are mistaken.

This game is not that game. What I am suggesting here is not what you have experienced in another game...

I have read this thread entirely several times...I see nothing that you've said that I have not answered directly multiple times.
First... I understand what you are saying... I know what you are asking for... What I have suggested in the others posts I made was simply how I can see it being... Eventualy, in the EA video game world, nothing is random (i.e. unpredictable). Everything is programmed in. Everything has a place and eventually it will happen... It can only be so random. Think of EA's programming as a deck of cards, where after each play, you flip the cards one by one. The deck is done when the game is done. As a result, you get SOME randomness in there, but eventually, you know that the king of hearts is going to be flipped... They simply haven't gotten to the point where they're using five decks with one joker in there... It would be nice, one day. But for now, it's just not that possible... 2K5 had something like what you're talking about, and I liked that, but it's not how EA does things, which is why the use of previous version of Madden, as well as NHL, or any of their other sports games like Tiger Woods have events that are supposed to be special that end up becomming a part of the games far to often, and as such, the randomness is gone... One can use the speech programing as another example... You know that at some point the same things are going to be said at least once a game, in the same manner, and chances are, at about the same time... The longer you play, the more of a chance there is that the king is going to come out...
Old 04-05-2009, 03:23 PM   #38
MVP

OVR: 55

It totally can be random... you just LOWER the probabilities of rare moments. Not rocket science here people. It's been done before in MANY games... it's already IN madden! We are just asking for more of it.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:52 PM   #39
Pro

Jump's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
It totally can be random... you just LOWER the probabilities of rare moments. Not rocket science here people. It's been done before in MANY games... it's already IN madden! We are just asking for more of it.
Exactly. I don't mind if the chance of a bad long snap is 1 in a million, as long as it is possible.

I just hate knowing that some things will always be perfect no matter what.
Old 04-05-2009, 11:00 PM   #40
Banned

OVR: 7

Quote:
94niners-

I agree, and would love to have these things happen throughout the entire game. Imo, most gamers would. But, as you see even in this thread...one or two guys don't like it and would be upset if this kind of thing costs them a few games.

The developers would not want users to have a bad experience, even if it can be turned off. So, in order to remove concerns for games being lost due to this aspect of gameplay...I suggest it occurs rarely in the 3rd qtr and not at all in the 4th qtr.

Again, I agree with you. I want this type of feature throughout my entire game from whistle to whistle. But, the out cry would be too great for EA to seriously consider doing something like this.

...so basically its comes down to a compromise. I'd rather have it in the early part of a game, and into the 3rd qtr...then to not have it at all. I'm sure the people who oppose this idea can live with having it only in the early part of the game, but they don't have to worry about it costing them games in the clutch....so...
I don't think you can compromise on that.

A slider would do the trick, if possible, but no "random" mistakes in the 4th quarter? that is just way too fake for me. :shrugs:

I want to vote yes, but I can't do it with that 4th quarter thing. Sorry...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »