Home

IBM's "Deep Blue" computer beat the chess champ in '97,but we can't have adaptive AI?

This is a discussion on IBM's "Deep Blue" computer beat the chess champ in '97,but we can't have adaptive AI? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-05-2009, 01:33 PM   #25
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: IBM's "Deep Blue" computer beat the chess champ in '97,but we can't have adaptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
I'm going to illustrate this a bit better...

Ian Cummings is a developer. He is technically not even qualified to interact with the customer. That's Anthony's job. Anthony is in marketing. Anthony's role in this whole blogging thing is to make sure Ian doesn't tell us everything all at once and to make sure marketing still has some material as we approach August.

In a normal year, you know what we'd have right now? We'd have a press release. We'd know it's coming out on August 14th, and we'd know about the fumble thing and dragging players. That's all we'd know right now. Because Ian's been around, we know a lot more... and we know enough to know that we're getting more in this Madden than the previous 4 years combined.

So to say because they haven't said anything, that means it's not coming, proves you either haven't payed attention, or you're just saying it to say it because you don't like EA.
The reason they are doing that is the development process they are allows them to make changes (agile), where as with old process (waterfall) you have a defined set of requirements and you can announce in dec or jan what they want and build that.

Agile is so nice
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2009, 01:34 PM   #26
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: IBM's "Deep Blue" computer beat the chess champ in '97,but we can't have adaptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang911
There are Java chess programs on cell phones that can defeat decent chess players. Those programs can "think" with limited hardware strength.

The hardware we currently have is more then capable of "thinking" for a few seconds to come up with beneficial plays for certain situations. Even adapting to user tendencies is not out of it's realm.

I like the OP's idea, but the Deep Blue reference threw off the argument.

I would of asked this question.

If a cell phone can think , why can't my 360???
Apparently because it is not the size of a refrigerator...
Old 04-05-2009, 01:34 PM   #27
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
We have a saying in the Army-

"Trust but verify"

I mean Ian no offense when I say this, but "fan interaction" on these boards could just be another gimmick. You're stating the situation as if EA has not made lofty promises before, or dropped conspicous hints before, and then not delivered. They do not have a good track record, going back 10 years.

Ian and his team may be different, time will tell. Trust, but verify.

they already have. Go back and read thru some old threads/posts and you'll see where the voices of this community/forum have had an impact on Madden '10.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 04-05-2009, 01:36 PM   #28
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Dreamcast was the last system allowed to think.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 04-05-2009, 01:36 PM   #29
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by lint
The reason they are doing that is the development process they are allows them to make changes (agile), where as with old process (waterfall) you have a defined set of requirements and you can announce in dec or jan what they want and build that.

Agile is so nice
I didn't realize they'd changed. I know Phil had issues with Agile developing another game... which reminds me... what the hell was that "Top Secret" project Ian was working on last year?

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:40 PM   #30
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang911
There are Java chess programs on cell phones that can defeat decent chess players. Those programs can "think" with limited hardware strength.

The hardware we currently have is more then capable of "thinking" for a few seconds to come up with beneficial plays for certain situations. Even adapting to user tendencies is not out of it's realm.

I like the OP's idea, but the Deep Blue reference threw off the argument.

I would of asked this question.

If a cell phone can think , why can't my 360???
The cell phone is not "thinking", it is running an algorithm that has weights placed on each piece, and can then make a determination on how to move. Each space on the board has a defined value and loses and adds value depending on what pieces surround it. It is not that simple with football.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:44 PM   #31
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
I didn't realize they'd changed. I know Phil had issues with Agile developing another game... which reminds me... what the hell was that "Top Secret" project Ian was working on last year?
I remember from last year I got Ian or someone to confirm they were in agile. I will attempt to find the thread.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #32
Banned

shotgun styles's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
they already have. Go back and read thru some old threads/posts and you'll see where the voices of this community/forum have had an impact on Madden '10.
I'm not denying that. But the proof is in the pudding, and none of us have seen the game yet.

I hope you and Adembroski are right. I hold Adembroski's opinion on these things in high regard and have been reading his posts for many years. I really hope you guys are right. I'm not out here just calling people out liars or anything like that. I just think that we suspect that improvement has been made, but we do not know for sure.

Am I wrong to be just a teeny bit uncertain after the last 4 years?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »