Home

IBM's "Deep Blue" computer beat the chess champ in '97,but we can't have adaptive AI?

This is a discussion on IBM's "Deep Blue" computer beat the chess champ in '97,but we can't have adaptive AI? within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
Madden NFL 22 Scouting Update Pushed to Mid-October - More Details Revealed
NBA 2K22 Review: The Best 2K Game in Years
FIFA 22 First Impressions
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 04-05-2009, 03:20 PM   #41
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: IBM's "Deep Blue" computer beat the chess champ in '97,but we can't have adaptive

At the very least, it would be nice if the computer could, over the course of several games and not just one game, learn which plays are successful in certain situations and which plays are not. Every year what almost always happens is that the computer keeps calling terrible plays that a human player would, after a couple poor experiences, start avoiding. For instance, this year on NCAA, the computer will often call all out man to man blitzes against spread formations. These lead to easy touchdowns every time.

It seems like there has to be some workable way for the computer to catalogue and record which plays work (and how well they work) in certain situations, and which plays do not, and to adapt it's playcalling accordingly.

I'm sure that it's pretty complicated, because you also want the computer to be able to dynamically recognize it's strengths and weaknesses, and to understand how to exploit those based on the matchups, and you also want teams/coaches to have their own unique identity, so that they feel different, but surely there is some way that we can get a better system than we have right now.

The reality is that the franchise/dynasty type modes are essentially doomed to be mediocre until this aspect of the game is improved significantly. Right now, the computer is a very bad player, strategically speaking. The only way to make the computer give you good games is to use sliders in such a way as to give it special boosts and extra powers, and that generally makes the experience pretty unrealistic, particularly for players with above average skill levels.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2009, 03:23 PM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: IBM's "Deep Blue" computer beat the chess champ in '97,but we can't have adaptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhombic21
At the very least, it would be nice if the computer could, over the course of several games and not just one game, learn which plays are successful in certain situations and which plays are not. Every year what almost always happens is that the computer keeps calling terrible plays that a human player would, after a couple poor experiences, start avoiding. For instance, this year on NCAA, the computer will often call all out man to man blitzes against spread formations. These lead to easy touchdowns every time.
In theory, good, in execution, I don't think so... The computer would learn the gimmy plays and their FBs would have 100 yard games, and their WRs would only run curls and slants...
Old 04-05-2009, 03:33 PM   #43
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
This thread made me chuckle.

Side note - I wonder what would happen if Microsoft or Sony made a console that big. Hypothetical - if it meant that you could have the most realistic football AI in history, would you buy a console the size of a fridge next to your TV?

ha ha...

Yes, yes I would.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:37 PM   #44
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

I got lost with all the tech talk.

Is the bottom line that we most likely won't be seeing something considered, "Adaptive AI" in the foreseeable future in Madden?
Old 04-05-2009, 03:42 PM   #45
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
I got lost with all the tech talk.

Is the bottom line that we most likely won't be seeing something considered, "Adaptive AI" in the foreseeable future in Madden?
No, that wasn't said at all (at least not from someone with an _EA following their name). The OP started some speculation that it wouldn't be in with really no concrete information. If you're looking for Adaptive AI as I am, then we're all still in mode b/c none of us know.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2009, 03:46 PM   #46
Pro

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lint
The cell phone is not "thinking", it is running an algorithm that has weights placed on each piece, and can then make a determination on how to move. Each space on the board has a defined value and loses and adds value depending on what pieces surround it. It is not that simple with football.
Realize that when you put quotes around a word it takes on a different meaning. What you described is exactly what I would call "thinking".

Wouldn't it be nice if Madden ran an algorithm that placed weight on yards needed and what play types are more likely to gain those yards?

How about when one of your players gains X number of yards, the CPU then calls defenses that assign him extra coverage?

The only way any computer can "think", is by using algorithms.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:48 PM   #47
Rookie

OVR: 6

The VIP things a great idea though... If they thought that Madden School could help you get better, imagine playing against yourself all the time... You'd learn what works and what your short commings are and how people could stop your style of play... That way you could make changes and advance your level more so then simply playing against see though ghosts... And even have the VIPs from past Madden champs, programmers and pros... Would make for a heck of a training and competitive thing for sure...
Old 04-05-2009, 04:01 PM   #48
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
No, that wasn't said at all (at least not from someone with an _EA following their name). The OP started some speculation that it wouldn't be in with really no concrete information. If you're looking for Adaptive AI as I am, then we're all still in mode b/c none of us know.
Oh, ok.

The more I read...the more mixed up I got.

I'm no cpu technician, so I have no idea of how difficult a feature like this would be to add in. But if feasible, it seems this would add the necessity of game planning to Madden, that currently isn't there. It would be great to hear this was added in some form or another.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »