Home

IBM's "Deep Blue" computer beat the chess champ in '97,but we can't have adaptive AI?

This is a discussion on IBM's "Deep Blue" computer beat the chess champ in '97,but we can't have adaptive AI? within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
Madden NFL 22 Scouting Update Pushed to Mid-October - More Details Revealed
NBA 2K22 Review: The Best 2K Game in Years
FIFA 22 First Impressions
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 04-05-2009, 04:02 PM   #49
MVP

OVR: 9
Re: IBM's "Deep Blue" computer beat the chess champ in '97,but we can't have adaptive

And then we'd all complain about RoboQB because ZOMG BY THE 3RD AND 4th QUARTER THE PLAYS THAT WORKED ALL GAME AREN'T WORKING ANYMORE.

Fact is, though, that you would be very unhappy if Big Blue were your videogame partner. For one, it required a human slave to move all of the pieces on the board. Two, it printed out movements. I suppose you wouldn't mind making your first move off the line of scrimmage, pausing the game, sending messages into the computer, giving it time to compute an answer, print out a sheet, which then you take, make the motion for the defense... pause, repeat, etc., until the end of the game?
Old 04-05-2009, 04:03 PM   #50
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: IBM's "Deep Blue" computer beat the chess champ in '97,but we can't have adaptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel10
And then we'd all complain about RoboQB because ZOMG BY THE 3RD AND 4th QUARTER THE PLAYS THAT WORKED ALL GAME AREN'T WORKING ANYMORE.

Fact is, though, that you would be very unhappy if Big Blue were your videogame partner. For one, it required a human slave to move all of the pieces on the board. Two, it printed out movements. I suppose you wouldn't mind making your first move off the line of scrimmage, pausing the game, sending messages into the computer, giving it time to compute an answer, print out a sheet, which then you take, make the motion for the defense... pause, repeat, etc., until the end of the game?

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 04-05-2009, 04:07 PM   #51
Pro

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang911
Realize that when you put quotes around a word it takes on a different meaning. What you described is exactly what I would call "thinking".

Wouldn't it be nice if Madden ran an algorithm that placed weight on yards needed and what play types are more likely to gain those yards?

How about when one of your players gains X number of yards, the CPU then calls defenses that assign him extra coverage?

The only way any computer can "think", is by using algorithms.
You do have a point, but I term thinking as spontaneous and has the possibility of making a mistake. A computer can only do what you tell it to do. But I know what you mean.

The way it can be weighted is debatable. 1st and 10 at your own 35... what play should I run, if I have not played them before and there is no calculations yet. This seems like I would take the bill walsh approach and script my first 5 plays (this is actually done in chess as well, the first 5 moves are kind of random then it begins to start using the long algorithms.) then make your calculating moves after that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2009, 04:18 PM   #52
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhombic21
At the very least, it would be nice if the computer could, over the course of several games and not just one game, learn which plays are successful in certain situations and which plays are not. Every year what almost always happens is that the computer keeps calling terrible plays that a human player would, after a couple poor experiences, start avoiding. For instance, this year on NCAA, the computer will often call all out man to man blitzes against spread formations. These lead to easy touchdowns every time.
The game isn't any smarter than the programmers. I said earlier, you can really see how bad a game is made in superstar mode when you can't control everything. Multiple time in superstar mode they do what you said and it is an easy TD. My favor is the HB screen on 3rd and long.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:40 PM   #53
MVP

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang911
Wouldn't it be nice if Madden ran an algorithm that placed weight on yards needed and what play types are more likely to gain those yards?
It seems pretty clear that you folks are underestimating our current AI (that plus we obviously have bugs too). I smell a future blog to go into more detail wit AI.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:48 PM   #54
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lint
You do have a point, but I term thinking as spontaneous and has the possibility of making a mistake. A computer can only do what you tell it to do. But I know what you mean.

The way it can be weighted is debatable. 1st and 10 at your own 35... what play should I run, if I have not played them before and there is no calculations yet. This seems like I would take the bill walsh approach and script my first 5 plays (this is actually done in chess as well, the first 5 moves are kind of random then it begins to start using the long algorithms.) then make your calculating moves after that.
One approach would be to create coach profiles. These profiles would then serve as a sort of "baseline" that would drive decisions when the AI lacks information about the user, and would alter the way that the computer interprets feedback/results.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:57 PM   #55
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
It seems pretty clear that you folks are underestimating our current AI (that plus we obviously have bugs too).
"Current" AI, Ian. As in Madden '10' AI?

Just wondering.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2009, 05:00 PM   #56
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
It seems pretty clear that you folks are underestimating our current AI (that plus we obviously have bugs too). I smell a future blog to go into more detail wit AI.
Ian would love to read that blog. Cannot wait for that 1 to come.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »