Home

Why is it Madden 10 seems to be making huge strides?

This is a discussion on Why is it Madden 10 seems to be making huge strides? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-06-2009, 02:32 PM   #33
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Why is it Madden 10 seems to be making huge strides?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaa07jones
I'm not talking about the game getting to it's great status and how long it's going to take. The installment Madden is great period and it shows, there being so many Madden additions.

My point is, I think the developers purposely leave out and add irrelevant things for the sole purpose of Madden sales.

You can't tell me Ring Builder was not a waste of time. It looked cool and they used it to sale a few copies of Madden, now they got what they wanted, and it's being done away with now. They went out their way to build the ringbuilder, have you order them from "Josters sp?", that was not in t he best interest of the player, but money. Had they not waste time on that maybe we would have a realistic salary cap.... that's my point.
I got what you're saying, you're right about the ring builder but I think that was more of an idea that didn't pan out rather than something they were trying to use to sell the game. Do you know anyone who bought the game for the ring builder? Did you see it in advertisements?

I think we look at it in different ways. You see it as a conspiracy where developers are purposely sabotaging their own product, their creation, to somehow influence the sales of the next game...which they have no guarantee that they'll even be working on or a part of the company if their current project fails...which would be the height of stupidity. If Mr. Ortiz was purposely leaving out all of the stuff that Ian is putting in now...just to save it for Madden 10....why was he fired? Didn't the "higher ups" know the deal?

I just think that some developers and lead designers have better ideas than others do. Simple right?

Last edited by nuckles2k2; 04-06-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:33 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
REVERSAL OF EMPHASIS

D.O. believed that the hardcore football fans would always be out there, and that you needed to chase down the casual gamer.

But it seems that the casual gamer is the one who always buys the game, without giving it much thought.

Hardcore football fans are much harder to please and it seems we've been renting the game an awful lot lately. Play it for day, then return it. We won't buy if it's crap, but casual gamers would.

Knowing this, my guess is the new team reversed their emphasis.

Casual gamers are more likely to buy a sim game than hardcore football fans are to buy a gimmick laden piece of doggie poo.
Such a horrible approach. Those dumb a$$ weapon icons were such a glaring example or this back a$$ vision... I mean do I really need a stupid shoe underneath my guy to know that he's fast? Is the 98 SPEED not hint enough of that fact?
Old 04-06-2009, 02:47 PM   #35
Rookie

justmanj's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
I don't think the vision and forward thinking of Peter Moore can be underestimated in this situation. The team of Ian and Phil are the biggest part of it, but Peter Moore is the guy who puts his people in a position to succeed, and since he's taken over EA Sports, I've seen nothing but good things. The company as a whole, every game on every platform, has been improving. It's best franchises are becoming best-in-industry and it's worst are making amazing strides.

I figured there was plenty of praise for Ian and Phil in here, wanted to call out the top dog.
And that was a great call out indeed. I've never been more pumped about a sports gamer summer/fall as i am this year. Fight Night Round 4 looks AMAZING (can someone tell me if there are any rumors about Kelly Pavlik or Money May in it? I NEED them in that game!), FIFA has always looked good, Tiger Woods 10 looks like one of the best TW games in a long time, and lets not forget NHL 09 (easily making its way up as one of the best sports franchises). With Madden 10 looking like its going to be a game i may actually for more than just 2 months, i'm very pumped about what Peter Moore has brought to the EA Sports titles.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2009, 03:28 PM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 6

I think Shotgun hit it on the head. Backbreaker coming out this year is making EA a little nervous. A game with endless customization and every tackle being different. Madden can't really compete with that right now. They had to step it up this year. In the end I think with Backbreaker coming out and Madden getting the much needed overhaul, this year is going to be a great year for us football sim guys.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:31 PM   #37
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

About Peter Moore....

I do believe Mr. Moore has a great deal to do with EA's different approach to it's customers.

I doubt very much his hiring, and the additude change is just a coincidents. I would imagine he's responsible for putting the right people together as a team. A team that very well may steer this franchise outta the ditch it's been in since this PS3/360 era began.

Just my opinion...but I do think Peter Moore deserves some credit, for the changes.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:59 PM   #38
Banned

IndyColts2's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
A lot of questions get asked of Ian and the Madden 10 team. This recent transparency from the EA Sports team has definitely been a positive, but in light of some of the significant improvements we are seeing, things like depth of field correction, speed of the game, the addition of the little things like hand towels and refs, camera angles, customization, procedural awareness, the list goes on, my question is, "Why this year?"

These are things many have been talking about for years. It's as if this year the flood gates are being open. It's not hype either. These blogs are lengthy articles of information, and in some cases, the EA team is breaking down past deliberate short-cuts or errors and then showing us how they are going back in and properly correcting it. That's not zero depth hype. After reading these blogs, you can't deny the wheels are turning in the EA Sports offices.

My question is what was the defining moment for the EA team that said, "Ok, now we are going to take this game and give the people what they have been asking for." I'm not saying past development teams haven't had that philosophy or that they were lazy, but you simply can't deny the difference in this year's Madden 10. Is it Peter Moore? Ian Cummings lead producer influence? I'd really like to know, because love them or hate them, EA Sports is really giving us, the everyday forum contributor, a lot to chew on, and it's not twinkies. There's some pretty solid meat.

So, why Madden 10?
My brother always says that EA holds features because they know that everyone will buy Madden anyway. They keep the game the same for 3 years, rack up the cash, and then add in all the things that were supposed to be in the other ones. It seemed that way to me until I saw what Ian and Phil were doing and what they did in the past.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:02 PM   #39
SHO
Give us a raise, loser!

SHO's Arena

OVR: 24

Because they are trying and showing that they mean business. It also helps that NCAA 10 looks to be making zero strides at all.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:03 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgun styles
REVERSAL OF EMPHASIS

D.O. believed that the hardcore football fans would always be out there, and that you needed to chase down the casual gamer.

But it seems that the casual gamer is the one who always buys the game, without giving it much thought.

Hardcore football fans are much harder to please and it seems we've been renting the game an awful lot lately. Play it for day, then return it. We won't buy if it's crap, but casual gamers would.

Knowing this, my guess is the new team reversed their emphasis.

Casual gamers are more likely to buy a sim game than hardcore football fans are to buy a gimmick laden piece of doggie poo.
Wow.
An NCO came up with this reasoning?
Hmmmm.......
I could not agree more.
I'm impressed

Are we finally going to get some attention in this years Madden?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »