Old 04-06-2009, 01:17 PM   #41
Banned

OVR: 13
Re: David Ortiz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito78
the H.N.I.C
That made me laugh.

My boss in the military used to make us call him that. Just brought back some memories.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2009, 01:18 PM   #42
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Let me put it this way... I don't think many people can deny that I've probably payed as close attention to the goings on with Madden over the past year and a half as anyone. And to be honest, this might seem kind of odd, the Cummings/Ortiz saga has been fascinating to me.

First off, it's very clear there is no love lost on Ian's part by Ortiz. Maybe I'm reading too much into it and he hasn't really said anything, but I'll swear those guys were not on good terms.

Secondly, this isn't the first time Ian has tried to reach out to the community. In 2005 he tried, and at some point it got shut down. I got the feeling at the time he was doing it under the table because it seemed to end about the time we figured out who it was that was releasing the info.

I don't exactly have all this in a journal, so I don't want to go into too many specifics, but overall there is a big difference in how Ian thinks from David. David is from the tournament era. Ian is a sim guy... or has become one over the past year. Either way, David never wanted to address the "sim" people.

Look at these facts: IN 2004, a few of us over at MM got tired of a broken franchise mode and spent about 2 months developing the Madden Manifesto. A huge document laying out what adjustments to make to create the best franchise experience possible. We got word from EA that the issues would be fixed for Madden 06.

Madden 06 game, and the issues were not only not fixed, but the ways we had fixed '05 had been broken. Coaching strategies no longer affected the sim engine. Furthermore, "Super Sim" made it's debut and broke the system even further by never making substitutions.

Second fact: In 2009, CPU sliders were removed. Now, do you honestly think when this idea came up, nobody went "You know, Dave, this is really going to piss off the sim users." They knew exactly what they were doing, and it's no surprise. I watched a lot of Ortiz's interviews over the years and I always picked up two things; arrogance, and a sense of disdain toward sim users. His attitude was A.) It's a video game, realism takes a back seat to "fun" and B.) You have no idea what my job entails, so you can judge the competence with which I do it.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.

Last edited by adembroski; 04-06-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:19 PM   #43
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
He was a programmer back then. This has already been explained by Phil and Ian.

You do what your bosses tell you to do, don't you?

If your bosses give you a deadline to get a job done, don't you do that?

Ian is in charge now, he wasn't back then.

My point was that he didn't work on 09, alright?
Ian worked on 09.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:19 PM   #44
Banned

OVR: 35

Quote:
Phil was working on the xbox/ps2 version; Ian has been with the next gen time for a while.
Ians worked on every madden since 01 or 02
Old 04-06-2009, 01:23 PM   #45
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Ian worked on 09.
Proof? He came in at the end of 09.

If you don't believe me, that's fine, you don't believe Ian , either.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2009, 01:27 PM   #46
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Ian worked on 09.
I'll clear this up the best I can.

Ian did work on 09, very early in the development process. I believe he left the team in January or February to work on a different project. Sometime around March he started posting on the boards and interaction with the Madden team in an unofficial capacity. I would say that likely the writing was on the wall regarding Ortiz, and Ian knew he was going to be back on the Madden team in some capacity in 2010. (I know, every report says Ortiz left voluntarily for family reasons, but I don't buy it. That's probably part of it, but I think something was going on at EA in terms of Madden's direction or company politics that he didn't like).

BTW: For the record, David Ortiz, iirc, was not in Ian's position, but Phil's. However, from a media standpoint, David Ortiz was to Madden as Ian is now as the 'face' of the product. Phil is a much more behind the scenes worker and lets Ian do the talking. Usually when Phil posts it's either to A.) rile people up by making vague posts that contradict each other because he's a sick, sick man, or B.) damage control, shooting down bad rumors before they become pervasive and responding to bug questions.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:35 PM   #47
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
I'll clear this up the best I can.

Ian did work on 09, very early in the development process. I believe he left the team in January or February to work on a different project. Sometime around March he started posting on the boards and interaction with the Madden team in an unofficial capacity. I would say that likely the writing was on the wall regarding Ortiz, and Ian knew he was going to be back on the Madden team in some capacity in 2010. (I know, every report says Ortiz left voluntarily for family reasons, but I don't buy it. That's probably part of it, but I think something was going on at EA in terms of Madden's direction or company politics that he didn't like).

BTW: For the record, David Ortiz, iirc, was not in Ian's position, but Phil's. However, from a media standpoint, David Ortiz was to Madden as Ian is now as the 'face' of the product. Phil is a much more behind the scenes worker and lets Ian do the talking. Usually when Phil posts it's either to A.) rile people up by making vague posts that contradict each other because he's a sick, sick man, or B.) damage control, shooting down bad rumors before they become pervasive and responding to bug questions.
Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:43 PM   #48
Banned

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
A.) rile people up by making vague posts that contradict each other because he's a sick, sick man

Im guessing thats a joke?
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »