Home

Do not set the potential of a player in stone!!!

This is a discussion on Do not set the potential of a player in stone!!! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-07-2009, 04:44 AM   #73
Banned

OVR: 19
Re: Do not set the potential of a player in stone!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
I think its painfull obvious to me that potential will not be set in stone. Ala Head Coach 09.

If you guys are such franchise diehards, how come no one has played HC09. It was a fantastic franchisestyle game.
Because I can't personally play with my team on the field.
The game could be fun, but to me it's not worth all the effort if you can't even play games yourself.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:47 AM   #74
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
He never played like a Defensive MVP before did he? If they used pre-set pot. like they plan to a player like him would not have the "upside" to even get to that level of play. He would have 60s in all of his stats because he didnt deserve to have those stats.

Besides you just proved my point sir. You just admited that they would have to change a players pot. to better fix how he is playing IRL. Why should it only be IRL? Why cant it be adpative to how they play in madden like you just said about the roster updates...?
Ok, and in madden 05 and nfl 2k5 TJ houshamanzeda had low ratings and would have never developed into a good receiver. In madden 08 vince young was rated like an 89 overall or something crazy and would become a great QB and reggie bush was rated well enough to become a great running back. In madden 07 for past gen margues colston was not even in the game. In the ps3 version, it came out later I think and he was rated decent but I bet in the 360 version this wasn't the case. In madden 09 slaten was rated much lower than mcfadden and therefore it was nearly impossible to get him to become a better back than mcfadden, but so far in their careers who is ahead? The list could go on forever. Whether their is a max potential or not players ratings will be off for some players. It is a game made by humans so this will always happen.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:49 AM   #75
MVP

Quote:
I think its painfull obvious to me that potential will not be set in stone. Ala Head Coach 09.

If you guys are such franchise diehards, how come no one has played HC09. It was a fantastic franchisestyle game.
I personally played and loved head coach but the gameplay in it really was terrible.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2009, 04:56 AM   #76
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
Ok, and in madden 05 and nfl 2k5 TJ houshamanzeda had low ratings and would have never developed into a good receiver. In madden 08 vince young was rated like an 89 overall or something crazy and would become a great QB and reggie bush was rated well enough to become a great running back. In madden 07 for past gen margues colston was not even in the game. In the ps3 version, it came out later I think and he was rated decent but I bet in the 360 version this wasn't the case. In madden 09 slaten was rated much lower than mcfadden and therefore it was nearly impossible to get him to become a better back than mcfadden, but so far in their careers who is ahead? The list could go on forever. Whether their is a max potential or not players ratings will be off for some players. It is a game made by humans so this will always happen.
What people arent seeing is how reletive this is to the max pot. Its basicly saying that I have a QB that has played like a HOF but no matter what he does he will ALWAYS be a overall 80.(I know 80 is gonna be good in M10 but its just a number please dont get hung up on it) Its basicly saying with the pre-determined players that the madden dev are making a world where they are the almighty factor to who will be great/bad. you see what Im saying? its still controlled by humans therefore its flawed because they will say who and what this guy will only be this good even if he somehow makes it to the HOF....
Old 04-07-2009, 05:01 AM   #77
All Star

OVR: 33

Quote:
I personally played and loved head coach but the gameplay in it really was terrible.
I can't disagree there. I loved Head Coach, but not playing the actual games turned me off it. I just couldn't watch things and I'd just simulate seasons at a time.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:06 AM   #78
MVP

Quote:
What people arent seeing is how reletive this is to the max pot. Its basicly saying that I have a QB that has played like a HOF but no matter what he does he will ALWAYS be a overall 80.(I know 80 is gonna be good in M10 but its just a number please dont get hung up on it) Its basicly saying with the pre-determined players that the madden dev are making a world where they are the almighty factor to who will be great/bad. you see what Im saying? its still controlled by humans therefore its flawed because they will say who and what this guy will only be this good even if he somehow makes it to the HOF....
The madden devs are already determining which players are good. They are determining all the algorithms for progression. This will always be the case unless you are going to create your own rosters and progression formulas. Also, if they are going to stick with such a fundamentally broken system for progression as basing it off of production then this is a good way to keep the league even so I don't end up having a true powerhouse team by the 3rd season that lasts until the end of the franchise.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:08 AM   #79
MVP

Quote:
I can't disagree there. I loved Head Coach, but not playing the actual games turned me off it. I just couldn't watch things and I'd just simulate seasons at a time.
That and play models sizes. 210 pound QBs looking bigger than 330 pound linemen and such was another big turnoff for me with that game.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:11 AM   #80
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
The madden devs are already determining which players are good. They are determining all the algorithms for progression. This will always be the case unless you are going to create your own rosters and progression formulas. Also, if they are going to stick with such a fundamentally broken system for progression as basing it off of production then this is a good way to keep the league even so I don't end up having a true powerhouse team by the 3rd season that lasts until the end of the franchise.
This could be used to stop players that dont have great pot from growing 10 points in a single season even if they producrd but by year 10-15 if they still are putting up numbers then they should still be growing just not as fast as a Brady.

Quote:
I suggested earlier that the Pot be show as a 1-99 stat and instead of having a cap on skills(unless they are physical ratings) that pot be how quickly a player can grow with how well he produces. You could draft a Alex Smith who looks to be a great QB but he has no pot therefore even if he were to produce very well he wouldnt grow quickly.

On the other hand you could get a Mario Williams with great talent and solid pot become a supwer star. You could also get a Jay Cutler/Tom Brady who has everything you look for in a QB and Has great pot. Brady took off like a bat outta heck when he got his first starts that would be the example of a player with 90+ pot.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »