Home

Do not set the potential of a player in stone!!!

This is a discussion on Do not set the potential of a player in stone!!! within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
eFootball 2022 Review
FIFA 22 Review
Hot Wheels: Unleashed Review
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2009, 07:24 PM   #9
Banned
 
OVR: 13
Join Date: Aug 2008
Re: Do not set the potential of a player in stone!!!

A cap on potential is ok as long as a players potential and current ability can vary dependant on the system he is used in.

I used this example in the blog thread but i'll post some more now.

In HC:

1.
Antoine Winfield had potential of 90 (ish) when the cornerbacks were in a cover 2 setup but he only had an 82 pot when the cornerbacks were set to ballhawk (interceptions) setup.

Or as another user stated;

2.
Robert Mathis would have a 95 pot when used in a 4-3 undersized pass rush de setup but only an 83 in a 3-4 runstop de setup.

3.
Pat white would have a 90 pot in a system that ran wildcat but only an 80 in a conventional "pocket passer" qb system (colts).

This adds incredible depth and variation to the scouting, drafting, signing of players and equally affects play on the field.
salbowski is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:25 PM   #10
10/22/21
 
jfsolo's Arena
 
OVR: 20
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 12,362
Re: Do not set the potential of a player in stone!!!

One of the things that happen in HC was that a lot players played well above or below their rating/potential. I had a DE who had a 81 potential, who was rated 77-79 over a 3 year period, and played at a All-Pro level all three of those years.

The potential rating is not necessarily a cap on, or a hard, fast indicator of production.
__________________
Quote:
Jordan Mychal Lemos
@crypticjordan

Do this today: Instead of $%*#[email protected]& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
jfsolo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:26 PM   #11
MVP
 
OVR: 26
Join Date: Sep 2008
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Do not set the potential of a player in stone!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeno
You can't perform above your potential... that's the definition of potential... how good you can be.

I think it can be OK if you have the potentials, but make it difficult for the player to actually reach it. Maybe have a guy with 89 potential, but he plays his entire career at no higher than 82 sometimes. He COULD be better, but something is holding him back.

Having guys exceed their potential makes so sense at all.
Please check in HC what they thought Matt Ryan, Joe Flaco, Steve slaton, matt forte, chris johnson ect ect what they "thought" their max potential was...Is it anything close to what they did IRL. short answer no.

People dont know how a player will perform in real life its impossible to say that his guy wont be able to do this...This is the inherent flaw of the stat system. By setting a max stat catigory for a player you utterly nerf players that IRL could play well and in madden they might play well but wont ever get the attruibutes that say he is amazing because its all set in stone.
Glorious Arc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2009, 07:30 PM   #12
MVP
 
nuckles2k2's Arena
 
OVR: 13
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Queens, NY
Re: Do not set the potential of a player in stone!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
Please check in HC what they thought Matt Ryan, Joe Flaco, Steve slaton, matt forte, chris johnson ect ect what they "thought" their max potential was...Is it anything close to what they did IRL. short answer no.

People dont know how a player will perform in real life its impossible to say that his guy wont be able to do this...This is the inherent flaw of the stat system. By setting a max stat catigory for a player you utterly nerf players that IRL could play well and in madden they might play well but wont ever get the attruibutes that say he is amazing because its all set in stone.
but potential is set in stone in real life...players either reach it, exceed it, or don't reach it. If player's can't play above their potential at all well that's one thing....but a player's potential never really changes. You either have the potential to be great or you don't. I don't think that because Darren McFadden had a mediocre season that all of a sudden people are saying "wow...he just can't do it." There's a lot of "ifs" in sports, IF he stays healthy and IF he has the drive then he can do it. His potential never changes...it's just up to him to deliver.
nuckles2k2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #13
Banned
 
OVR: 13
Join Date: Aug 2008
Re: Do not set the potential of a player in stone!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
Please check in HC what they thought Matt Ryan, Joe Flaco, Steve slaton, matt forte, chris johnson ect ect what they "thought" their max potential was...Is it anything close to what they did IRL. short answer no.

People dont know how a player will perform in real life its impossible to say that his guy wont be able to do this...This is the inherent flaw of the stat system. By setting a max stat catigory for a player you utterly nerf players that IRL could play well and in madden they might play well but wont ever get the attruibutes that say he is amazing because its all set in stone.
I understand your argument but it's only valid on "real players" which is only year 1 (if your not importing from ncaa)... once regen players come in... they're fictional so your argument becomes null and void.
Does that make sense??
salbowski is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:46 PM   #14
MVP
 
OVR: 26
Join Date: Sep 2008
Blog Entries: 1
Re: Do not set the potential of a player in stone!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbowski
I understand your argument but it's only valid on "real players" which is only year 1 (if your not importing from ncaa)... once regen players come in... they're fictional so your argument becomes null and void.
Does that make sense??
Yes and no. What about the players that make a name for themselves after a couple of years down the road this season? Example again is James Harrison.

Also, what if I draft a running back who is solid 80 across the board for his "max potential" on his moves and what naught. That same RB manages to run for 1500 yards 15 td with a 4.5 average. why shouldnt his stats increase some?

I propose that potential be a stat that shows how fast a player can grow. The better they perform and the better their potential the faster we see a superstar out of them. The only thing that should be limited is the physical stats. Exmaples Speed, strenth, acc, throw power, maybe jump ect ect. These should grow some(differeent for each stat) in the early years and thats it.
Glorious Arc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 07:50 PM   #15
Banned
 
OVR: 12
Join Date: Nov 2007
Re: Do not set the potential of a player in stone!!!

I'm fine with potential ratings being set in stone; however, I'm not fine with those ratings being revealed the user. I don't care if that player is on a team controlled by the user, or not. The draft is a crap shoot. Teams aren't sure about the potential of their draft picks. Potential is a projection of what one's ability is.

If the potential rating is basically going to be a ceiling that the player cannot exceed; they should call it something else and never reveal it to the user, except for maybe when the player retires. The potential rating should still be in the game, but it should only be a projection that could be accurate, or inaccurate; it would also change based on the coaches, and systems.

Revealing a players potential( or rating ceiling) is one the worst ideas that I can think off.

First we had superhuman LBs, DBs and QBs with eyes in the back of their heads; now when they're finally taking out those aspects, they're thinking of replacing them with psychic coaches, brilliant.

If it's not is the game, than for goodness sake, don't put it in the game.
Tito78 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2009, 07:55 PM   #16
MVP
 
nuckles2k2's Arena
 
OVR: 13
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Queens, NY
Re: Do not set the potential of a player in stone!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
Yes and no. What about the players that make a name for themselves after a couple of years down the road this season? Example again is James Harrison.

Also, what if I draft a running back who is solid 80 across the board for his "max potential" on his moves and what naught. That same RB manages to run for 1500 yards 15 td with a 4.5 average. why shouldnt his stats increase some?

I propose that potential be a stat that shows how fast a player can grow. The better they perform and the better their potential the faster we see a superstar out of them. The only thing that should be limited is the physical stats. Exmaples Speed, strenth, acc, throw power, maybe jump ect ect. These should grow some(differeent for each stat) in the early years and thats it.
Well as far as the rookies down the road this season goes, that's what roster updates are for and if you don't want to start your franchise over then that's on you.

And exactly when did James Harrison have a low potential? The fact that he kept getting chances seems to prove your theory wrong. A player who is signed as an undrafted free agent and then get's chance after chance (even sent to NFL Europa) isn't a guy who team's are saying "doesn't have much upside." All of those chances were evidence of his potential that was finally realized in the past 2 seasons.
nuckles2k2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:10 AM.

Top -