Home

Do not set the potential of a player in stone!!!

This is a discussion on Do not set the potential of a player in stone!!! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-06-2009, 08:13 PM   #25
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Do not set the potential of a player in stone!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
He never played like a Defensive MVP before did he? If they used pre-set pot. like they plan to a player like him would not have the "upside" to even get to that level of play. He would have 60s in all of his stats because he didnt deserve to have those stats.

Besides you just proved my point sir. You just admited that they would have to change a players pot. to better fix how he is playing IRL. Why should it only be IRL? Why cant it be adpative to how they play in madden like you just said about the roster updates...?
He would have 60s in all of his stats? How? in Head Coach 09 Vernon Gholston was like a 90 overall based on my defensive philosophy with a potential in the 80s. Meanwhile there was a LE in the 6th round with a potential of 89, with an overall in the mid 60s. In a few seasons he was close to a 90 overall.

Potential just means will the player get better?....you can have good players who are already at their ceilings and have a low potential...while you have players with a low overalls where the sky's the limit...high potential.

Why do you think a low potential equals a bad player? James Harrison has always had potential...that's why he was signed as an undrafted free agent. it took time for him to come into his own...he had potential and met it....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2009, 08:16 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
In HC 09, potential was only revealed for rookies if you scouted them heavily (brought them in for individual workouts before the draft) or if you drafted them and kept them on the team until after the preseason.

You couldn't just draft a player and automatically know his potential.
I know, I had head coach. You had to scout them heavily, but once you did that, you knew what they're potential was. It's better if the actual ceiling of the player's ability is hidden, and the potential rating would be a projection by the coaches that could be spot on, or totally inaccurate.

How cool would it be to have you coaches/scouts tell you that a player has a potential rating of 97, when in actuality his true potential is a 63? How cool would it be to pick up a player that you just needed to fill out your roster, and have that player end up making the hall of fame ?
Old 04-06-2009, 08:21 PM   #27
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito78
I know, I had head coach. You had to scout them heavily, but once you did that, you knew what they're potential was. It's better if the actual ceiling of the player's ability is hidden, and the potential rating would be a projection by the coaches that could be spot on, or totally inaccurate.

How cool would it be to have you coaches/scouts tell you that a player has a potential rating of 97, when in actuality his true potential is a 63? How cool would it be to pick up a player that you just needed to fill out your roster, and have that player end up making the hall of fame ?
As long as it was a rarity I wouldn't mind. It's not too often that scouts misjudge a player that badly, otherwise they wouldn't have their jobs. It is their jobs to go to see these players play...I wouldn't want a scout around who sees a runningback fumble the ball constantly and watch the guy average 1 yard a carry only to tell me "this guy will be great." Plus players aren't just rated by your own scouts, it's also the perception that other scouts and coaches have of the same guy.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:22 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
He would have 60s in all of his stats? How? in Head Coach 09 Vernon Gholston was like a 90 overall based on my defensive philosophy with a potential in the 80s. Meanwhile there was a LE in the 6th round with a potential of 89, with an overall in the mid 60s. In a few seasons he was close to a 90 overall.

Potential just means will the player get better?....you can have good players who are already at their ceilings and have a low potential...while you have players with a low overalls where the sky's the limit...high potential.

Why do you think a low potential equals a bad player? James Harrison has always had potential...that's why he was signed as an undrafted free agent. it took time for him to come into his own...he had potential and met it....
I think I mispoke. When I said James Harrison would have 60s across the board I meant the ppl who do stats would be like wow this guy blows he was undrafted and hasnt performed and now he is 30. THEY would not have given him the stats to ever become what he did IRL. It plays to the theme that set pot of ratings is to rigid.

Pot is what a players "max ablity is right? If a player has a low Pot then he is a bad player and wont ever get above being a bad player. If he has a pot of 90 and is rated 60 because of his current stats then he can get to a 90 rated player making him a valueable player. I am simplely saying that a set in stone system is to rigid. broken record huh?

Im gonna just say I agree that no one knows a players true potential so why should we see a players stats set in stone. to me its that plain and simple. Its obvious both of us are just going to argue back and forth and its not worth my time. Ive stated everything I feel is enough and I will leave it at that.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:24 PM   #29
Pro

OVR: 12

I actually like the potential set in stone. OK so a lot of you are complaining that the potential would limit players, now let me ask you, if potential was not set in stone what would prevent you from coaching every single player in to a probowler? There are busts in the NFL for a reason, what would prevent me from simply picking any random RB in the draft and turn him into a 90 over all? What would be the point of scouting and actually trading up and down? I can just sit there every year and pick any random player and he will not bust.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:27 PM   #30
MVP

Quick statement about another player.

Tiki Barber was a decent RB in his younger years but he just couldnt hold onto the football. In "hindsight" you could say well he had to pot to hold onto the ball great but I could tell you that Tom Brady is an amazing QB in hindsight and Ryan Leaf was a bust. But IRL he didnt master carrying the ball until late in his career after he was properly coached. He didnt have the pot to hold onto the ball until something triggered him to hold onto the ball better. In this case he was coached by a better coach therefore increasing his pot in carrying the ball.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:31 PM   #31
Nza
MVP

OVR: 16

Having a potential rating is vital. On Madden PC, my only real complaint in franchise mode that is more or less unavoidable is the fact I know any well rated rookie I draft is guaranteed to become an elite player if I work at it.

But knowing such a player's end rating? The moment he is drafted? How on earth is that a good idea?

I think, at the very least, every season you should be given a report on your roster, say, just after preseason. In this report, it mentions a player's perceived potential based on your coaching staff's abilities. The longer a player has been on your team, the better idea you have also i.e. a brand new rookie is only going to report a rough idea, and a brand new FA pickup will offer a slightly better idea than a new rookie since he's been in the NFL for a while already. A 3 year vet on the team would give you a pretty good idea depending on the coaching staff (and, even deeper, the ratings of your coaches relevant to his position). After, I dunno, 7 years or so, the potential of a player would be revealed entirely. By this time you would have had to extend the player too which makes the earlier reports relevant to decisions.

A system like this I could live with, but being flat out told the potential rating from day 1? ugh.

Plus I can only imagine what ruckus it will cause amongst fans regarding real players. What on earth gives anyone the right to give Chris Johnson a better potential rating than Matt Forte, or vice versa?

It sounds like a complete mess honestly.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2009, 08:38 PM   #32
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelysk
I actually like the potential set in stone. OK so a lot of you are complaining that the potential would limit players, now let me ask you, if potential was not set in stone what would prevent you from coaching every single player in to a probowler? There are busts in the NFL for a reason, what would prevent me from simply picking any random RB in the draft and turn him into a 90 over all? What would be the point of scouting and actually trading up and down? I can just sit there every year and pick any random player and he will not bust.
I suggested earlier that the Pot be show as a 1-99 stat and instead of having a cap on skills(unless they are physical ratings) that pot be how quickly a player can grow with how well he produces. You could draft a Alex Smith who looks to be a great QB but he has no pot therefore even if he were to produce very well he wouldnt grow quickly.

On the other hand you could get a Mario Williams with great talent and solid pot become a supwer star. You could also get a Jay Cutler/Tom Brady who has everything you look for in a QB and Has great pot. Brady took off like a bat outta heck when he got his first starts that would be the example of a player with 90+ pot.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »