Home

Do not set the potential of a player in stone!!!

This is a discussion on Do not set the potential of a player in stone!!! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-06-2009, 09:12 PM   #41
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Do not set the potential of a player in stone!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
It would be cheating if they knew what your players cap was and you didnt know what theirs was. They should only be able to tell what their own players stats are so they could place a high value on said player if they stick with this system
You do realize that the potential rating is set in stone but the effect it has on a player isn't? It's more of a percentage at that point...a player with higher potential has more of a chance of being a great player....a 90 potential doesn't guarantee a 95 overall player....it's still up to you to build that guy up into a great player....it'd just be easier to build a player with a 90 potential as opposed to a player with a 65 potential...there are no guarantees though.

You do realize this right? Because if you do then I don't understand your argument.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2009, 09:13 PM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 3

It seems to me that the easiest answer is the one they've already used for a lot of other features. Make it optional. Perhaps a 3-way toggle between no potential limits, hidden potential limits, and visible potential limits. Maybe 4-way if you want it visible with accuracy based on coaching. For myself, I think visible potential limits are probably fine. Maybe I'll feel differently when I'm looking at someone like Vince Young and realizing that no matter how well I play, his arm isn't ever getting more accurate and his awareness isn't ever going up. I know I wanted to trade his sorry *** out of my Titans franchise in Head Coach, but couldn't afford it (cap-wise, since I'd sent so many of their big contract under-performers packing). I'd really like that option. I know just playing a franchise with one of my friends would nearly require a lack of ceiling on player ability, because roster manipulation isn't something he enjoys as much as I do and he'll never get past the days of Madden '05 where he'd take any fast guy at a position and make him great.

I definitely think there's a certain harshness to grading real players with potential limits. It kind of saddens me that in NFL Head Coach I'd never go after Eddie Royal in the first draft (I'm a Broncos fan) because he just didn't have the potential I wanted...but in Madden, he was electric. With a hard limit to his attributes set by someone who lacked the foresight to see he'd have a great rookie season, perhaps he could never develop into a true #2 guy for a pass-heavy offense. That said, low to medium-rated players are certainly capable of having excellent seasons, which was always a tragic point for me in Head Coach as I'd bench/trade a pro-bowl linebacker who'd maxed out his potential at 81 only to start someone with maybe only a slight edge in potential, or a free agent I'd signed when another team cut him...which happened a lot. I collect linebackers like Jon Gruden collected quarterbacks. With potential turned on, I'll keep doing that (and enjoy spending the time hunting for new players). With it off, I'll stay loyal to my guys (and enjoy spending the time picking new "chosen ones" to indulge my loyalty). Some of my friends, however, really won't appreciate hard potential.

It doesn't seem that different to me to give an option for player potential than, say, accelerated clock with different runoff settings (something I'm very much looking forward to).
Old 04-06-2009, 09:17 PM   #43
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelysk
OK I sort of see your point but here is the thing. Again for the sake of the argument, lets say that I Brady retires tomorrow. What is going to prevent me from practically drafting any rookie QB in the draft and make him look become good or great with all of those weapons that the Pats have on offense and that monster defense they have? I might as well draft the last QB available in the 7th pick and make will make him look good. Heck why even draft a QB when I can just pick any decent QB off of the streets and make him look good.
That would be the flaw in the system. There are countless people that look great at one place but perform badly everywhere else. Maybe the gameplay takes over and for once doesnt allow a bad QB to play like Brady even with brady's weapons idk lol.

To me currently without having any other ideas besides the ones set, this is what I would choose to have done even though it is flawed. No matter what system you choose its going to be flawed thats what really does suck. It comes down to what is the most acceptable overall.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:17 PM   #44
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13

The way I see it if two players are a 70 overall, and one player has a potential of 70 and one player has a potential of 85...then player one has a 70% chance of reaching a 90 overall in two seasons, while the other player has an 85% chance of getting to that 90 rating in the same time frame.

But it's not a guarantee for either player. There are extenuating circumstances that also have to be accounted for.

That's potential...it's not "what can you do" but "are you able to become a better player and if so how quickly can you do it?"

Last edited by nuckles2k2; 04-06-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:25 PM   #45
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
You do realize that the potential rating is set in stone but the effect it has on a player isn't? It's more of a percentage at that point...a player with higher potential has more of a chance of being a great player....a 90 potential doesn't guarantee a 95 overall player....it's still up to you to build that guy up into a great player....it'd just be easier to build a player with a 90 potential as opposed to a player with a 65 potential...there are no guarantees though.

You do realize this right? Because if you do then I don't understand your argument.
wow please shut up and read what I put in bold. He asked if they do keep the cap stats(max pot) system if a CP team would take pot into cosideration when trading players. I said if they could see their players pot and ur players pot and you cant see theirs then its cheating. If they CP does take it into cosideration then it should be for only their players meaning a player with lower overall but a high pot(cap stats) they wouldnt trade him as easy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2009, 09:25 PM   #46
Pro

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
That would be the flaw in the system. There are countless people that look great at one place but perform badly everywhere else. Maybe the gameplay takes over and for once doesnt allow a bad QB to play like Brady even with brady's weapons idk lol.

To me currently without having any other ideas besides the ones set, this is what I would choose to have done even though it is flawed. No matter what system you choose its going to be flawed thats what really does suck. It comes down to what is the most acceptable overall.
Yeah everything is flaw. lol But I think the best way to go is keep the player POT but hid it from the user. The issue with head coach is that if you draft the next Tom Brady you already know that right off the bat. In real life you would not know that simply by looking at the roster. May be they can allow us to hide player POT and edit it like any other rating?
Old 04-06-2009, 09:27 PM   #47
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
The way I see it if two players are a 70 overall, and one player has a potential of 70 and one player has a potential of 85...then player one has a 70% chance of reaching a 90 overall in two seasons, while the other player has an 85% chance of getting to that 90 rating in the same time frame.

But it's not a guarantee for either player. There are extenuating circumstances that also have to be accounted for.

That's potential...it's not "what can you do" but "are you able to become a better player and if so how quickly can you do it?"
Are you even reading my posts? I just posted that Pot is how fast a player progresses with how he produces.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:29 PM   #48
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelysk
Yeah everything is flaw. lol But I think the best way to go is keep the player POT but hid it from the user. The issue with head coach is that if you draft the next Tom Brady you already know that right off the bat. In real life you would not know that simply by looking at the roster. May be they can allow us to hide player POT and edit it like any other rating?
after talking about it some and if some tweaks were added in(hide it instead of showing ect ect.) I wouldnt be that against seeing a set in stone pot even though I would like something like my system setup lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »