Home

Do not set the potential of a player in stone!!!

This is a discussion on Do not set the potential of a player in stone!!! within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
Madden NFL 22 Scouting Update Pushed to Mid-October - More Details Revealed
NBA 2K22 Review: The Best 2K Game in Years
FIFA 22 First Impressions
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 04-06-2009, 09:35 PM   #49
SHO
Give us a raise, loser!

SHO's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: Do not set the potential of a player in stone!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbowski
A cap on potential is ok as long as a players potential and current ability can vary dependant on the system he is used in.

I used this example in the blog thread but i'll post some more now.

In HC:

Antoine Winfield had potential of 90 (ish) when the cornerbacks were in a cover 2 setup but he only had an 82 pot when the cornerbacks were set to ballhawk (interceptions) setup.

Or as another user stated;

Robert Mathis would have a 95 pot when used in a 4-3 undersized pass rush de setup but only an 83 in a 3-4 runstop de setup.

Pat white would have a 90 pot in a system that ran wildcat but only an 80 in a conventional "pocket passer" qb system (colts).

This adds incredible depth and variation to the scouting, drafting, signing of players and equally affects play on the field.
They should add that in because it would really affect how the different teams would grade prospects and FAs.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:40 PM   #50
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOBLE
They should add that in because it would really affect how the different teams would grade prospects and FAs.
The overall is more of a cosmetic thing for those. It helps you see players who fit your system, yes and it also helps add depth to trading and such because certain teams wont want the same players you do so can trade from them.(its one of the things from HC that was amazing)

This topic itself deserves its own thread because it doesnt have much to do with pot.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:42 PM   #51
SHO
Give us a raise, loser!

SHO's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
He never played like a Defensive MVP before did he? If they used pre-set pot. like they plan to a player like him would not have the "upside" to even get to that level of play. He would have 60s in all of his stats because he didnt deserve to have those stats.

Besides you just proved my point sir. You just admited that they would have to change a players pot. to better fix how he is playing IRL. Why should it only be IRL? Why cant it be adpative to how they play in madden like you just said about the roster updates...?
I would like the option of changing a player's potential rating if they are going to go that route. MLB: The Show doesn't allow us to them and it's annoying seeing Top prospects or young guys like Delmon Young and Cameron Maybin only having 'B' potential.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2009, 10:38 PM   #52
Banned

OVR: 29

This is such an interesting thread and concept... I don't know where I really stand on the issue.

I think I feel like Potential should be an estimate.

IE - You have a player like Mark Sanchez come out with a potential of 90.

His OVR starts at 81.

If you turn him into a superstar with 35/9 ratios for 4-5 years maybe he will reach 95 OVR.

I dunno - I am just saying to make the potential a gray area estimate.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:02 PM   #53
Rookie

OVR: 6

yeah i dont like having limits on the pot... put a player in the right situation where they have a chance to succeed and they BECOME great.

Chris Johnson (CB)--> would have never made it past 70 overall in madden through simming seasons..,

but in real life unless DeAnaglo Hall FAILED which end up happening, Johnson was able to become 2x what Hall was... well at least in man coverage which adds more to the point potential is not only limited to your self but your surroundings.

Situation plays a huge part in poitential... just as much as Genetics do... so i dont like the pot CAP cuase in the right situation you could be 100ovr.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:16 PM   #54
Banned

OVR: 12

Their potential should fall if they are underused after several years of not playing. Also, maybe they should be able to raise again if they are late bloomers.

They could use training as a way to increase a player potential BUT there should be some limit to it. Say maybe 5 points total throughout a career.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:23 PM   #55
MVP

mavfan21's Arena

OVR: 12

Some players just don't ever rise about their potential. I like the idea of having a "max-out" for MOSt (not all) players. There should still be a few surprises that have a mid to late career burst (Kurt Warner style) but those players are FEW and far between.

The REAL NFL is littered with players that show some flash or have a great start to their career but never really get a whole lot better, Michael Clayton (Bucs), Julius Jones, Kyle Orton, Travis Henry, David Boston, Vernon Davis, Joey Galloway, Omar Gaither, Laurence Maroney, and MANY more. It is far easier to list the guys that had decent careers and never really improved than it is to list guys that just steadily got better and better.

No matter how many carries you feed players like julius Jones for example, they just aren't going to progres much past a certain point. That is reality and it should be in a SIM style franchise. it is unrealistic to just be able to make your guys progress by force feeding them the ball.

Marion Barber racked up a TON of TD's in his 1st 2 seasons...in Madden he would have been jumping 10 points OVR each year, but look waht happened this past year. Very decent...that's it, just decent. BEFORE injury and after. Is Marion Barber ever going to turn into an LT or Adrian Peterson style do it all, progress for years back...probably not. It shouldn't happen in the game that often either.

In the past in Madden you could draft a RB in year one, develop him and have a 95 OVR stud by year 3, you re-sign him and you're set for 10 years....that is NOT realistic. Most teams go through 3-4 first day picks for almost a decade before they hit on a guy that can be the man. Look at how many QB's it took for the Cowboys to finally find a solid starter. Guys shouldn't just progres because they play or do well one season. Quincy Carter would be a stud by now.

Most NFL players don't become superstars. On Madden, in the past, it was EASY to end up with 5-6 superstars on one team.

I welcome the new style. It is MUCH more realistic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2009, 11:30 PM   #56
MVP

PacMan3000's Arena

OVR: 11

One thing I'm very concerned about is that it seems like a rookie's success in the game will be pre-determined. His potential is pre-determined from the get go, and it seems like your ability to draft a gem or a bust is pre-determined if all of these rookies are created by hand.

I think that's a mistake, because potential (and in turn, progression), should be based on a significant amount of issues.

If in the 2009 draft, the Baltimore Ravens select Rey Maualuga, his potential should be through the roof. He should have a higher chance of success because he went to a great team, a great linebacker core/defense, and will play opposite Ray Lewis who will certain keep him in line.

Contrast that with a team like, say, Detroit. If Maualuga goes to the Lions, his potential will be signficantly lower. Doesn't mean he won't have success, but one would assume that his ceiling would be lower compared to if he went to Baltimore.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »