Home

Do not set the potential of a player in stone!!!

This is a discussion on Do not set the potential of a player in stone!!! within the Madden NFL Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen
Madden NFL 22 Scouting Update Pushed to Mid-October - More Details Revealed
NBA 2K22 Review: The Best 2K Game in Years
FIFA 22 First Impressions
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 04-07-2009, 02:53 AM   #65
Rookie

OVR: 8
Re: Do not set the potential of a player in stone!!!

If I just look at my own team (and just the past few years at that), Bart Scott (undrafted) and Adalius Thomas (6th round pick), would never have amounted to anything in Madden because they didn't get to play right away and it took them a while to develop, so they would've gotten poor ratings. I'd prefer the potential to not be set in stone, but I guess I'll have to test out the devs vision and give it a chance before I really go deadset against it.

If it has breakthroughs like in HC, then I'd have no problem.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2009, 03:15 AM   #66
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
Please check in HC what they thought Matt Ryan, Joe Flaco, Steve slaton, matt forte, chris johnson ect ect what they "thought" their max potential was...Is it anything close to what they did IRL. short answer no.

People dont know how a player will perform in real life its impossible to say that his guy wont be able to do this...This is the inherent flaw of the stat system. By setting a max stat catigory for a player you utterly nerf players that IRL could play well and in madden they might play well but wont ever get the attruibutes that say he is amazing because its all set in stone.
This is a problem with any system in which players are rated but you don't here anyone here anyone here calling for them to quit rating players. That is just something that has to be accepted and can be adjusted with roster updates.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:22 AM   #67
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbowski
Yes and no. What about the players that make a name for themselves after a couple of years down the road this season? Example again is James Harrison.

In the game, he would have always had 95 potential but he came into the league with a current ability of 70 and remained at that level until he found the right system, was played consistently and played well at which point he eventually reached his potential...just like real life.

Also, what if I draft a running back who is solid 80 across the board for his "max potential" on his moves and what naught. That same RB manages to run for 1500 yards 15 td with a 4.5 average. why shouldnt his stats increase some?

Well in theory that 80 rated running back wouldn't be able to run for 1500 yards cos he isn't that good... it's still a game and has to have limits....

however players did often exceed their potential levels by 2/3/4 units in HC if they did really well... but they're potential also fell 2/3/4 units if they consistently perfomed poorly or had a number of injuries, ie-
Peterson started with 93 pot in my HC and by 2011 had an 84 pot cos he missed about 20 of 35 games... his pot could rise again if he started performing well again but it was less likely cos his current ability was now an 84.

A players potential is also dependant on the system he plays in... using reggie bush as a power runner would give him a pot of 80 but using him in a west coast/speed/moves HB system would give him a 90 pot- ONE MANS RUBBISH IS ANOTHER MANS TREASURE.
Well, actually with their spread out ratings an 80 overall back should be a good starting halfback. In the perfect situation 1500 yards might be possible. This last season New England had halfbacks run for over 1900 yards without any backs who I would say that with these spread out ratings should top an 80 overall. If it wasn't for all the injuries and they could have had one back start all those games I could see him hitting 1500 yards.

That said, why should an 80 overall back improve just because due to being in a great situation he put up good numbers?
Old 04-07-2009, 03:27 AM   #68
MVP

Quote:
That would be the flaw in the system. There are countless people that look great at one place but perform badly everywhere else. Maybe the gameplay takes over and for once doesnt allow a bad QB to play like Brady even with brady's weapons idk lol.

To me currently without having any other ideas besides the ones set, this is what I would choose to have done even though it is flawed. No matter what system you choose its going to be flawed thats what really does suck. It comes down to what is the most acceptable overall.
Personally I think the best way around this is a set of shown ratings, possibly more general than real ratings maybe with letter grades rather than numbers. These would be based somewhat off of coach scouting ability and largely improve based off of performance. Real ratings however should be hidden and progress in ways that make sense for real ratings rather than be performance. This would lead to QBs looking good when they have weapons and then failing when they go elsewhere and other such situations.
Old 04-07-2009, 03:40 AM   #69
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybutlerz
If I just look at my own team (and just the past few years at that), Bart Scott (undrafted) and Adalius Thomas (6th round pick), would never have amounted to anything in Madden because they didn't get to play right away and it took them a while to develop, so they would've gotten poor ratings. I'd prefer the potential to not be set in stone, but I guess I'll have to test out the devs vision and give it a chance before I really go deadset against it.

If it has breakthroughs like in HC, then I'd have no problem.
Ok, first just because a player is drafted in the 6th or 7th round or whatever doesn't mean they will have a low potential so there will still be the oportunity for players like that to emerge.

As far as those actual players, yes there will be some players whose overall is judged wrong and that will limit them. On the other hand if you played madden 02 and tried to make bart scott as good as he was in real life and correctly represent his career it would have been nearly impossible. Whether their is a potential cap that can be misjudged or not there will be players who are misjudged and therefore won't play to their abilities. The only real solution available here is roster updates.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:12 AM   #70
All Star

OVR: 33

I think its painfull obvious to me that potential will not be set in stone. Ala Head Coach 09.

If you guys are such franchise diehards, how come no one has played HC09. It was a fantastic franchisestyle game.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:23 AM   #71
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarr
Personally I think the best way around this is a set of shown ratings, possibly more general than real ratings maybe with letter grades rather than numbers. These would be based somewhat off of coach scouting ability and largely improve based off of performance. Real ratings however should be hidden and progress in ways that make sense for real ratings rather than be performance. This would lead to QBs looking good when they have weapons and then failing when they go elsewhere and other such situations.
I dont follow can you elaborate?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2009, 04:33 AM   #72
MVP

Quote:
I dont follow can you elaborate?
Basically hide all the ratings and only show something a little more vague and more in line with what a person can actually see watching the players play in real life while still having the full set of ratings in the game to actually run the gameplay. The shown ratings would then be based somewhat off of the players ability with variation based on your coaches scouting ability and would also be strongly influenced by production.

This is because when a player produces well although he might not actually develop other peoples' opinions of him will change.

The actual ratings should then develop based on potential, coaching, work ethic, etc or in other words things that actually allow players to develop.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »