Home

Pre-Created Rookies - Good or Bad?

This is a discussion on Pre-Created Rookies - Good or Bad? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-06-2009, 08:38 PM   #33
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: Pre-Created Rookies - Good or Bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
That would be the only way I would be ok with pre-created rookies but honestly doesnt that sound like a random draft class with HC players added in?
No, because there's no guarantee of balance or even sense with randomized draft classes. Madden draft classes were notorious for being utterly goofy at times. The only way to fix that is to restrict the randomness to the point that it ends up being borderline predetermined anyways, or every draft class is the same.

Randomness without reason is chaos. It's the same principle that makes the random playcalling for the CPU appear utterly stupid. There's no rhyme or reason too it. NFL teams strive for unpredictability, but they're not random. That would defeat the purpose of being unpredictable.

The big question is: How many draft classes will there be? Will their order of appearance be predetermined? I always thought they should put them in groups of 3... and randomize the order in which they appear. So, for example, if they just pulled the HC classes right over, you might get the Jack English class and the two that take place afterword in that order (that way you get the cool references to guys who'll come out later), but that 3 class group might not show up until year 10 of your franchise. And only the big names... NOT THE SLEEPERS... would have hard-coded names. No draft gurus going "DRAFT THIS GUY IN THE 6TH!!! HE'S A HALL OF FAMER!!!". All sleepers would have randomized names.

Say there are 4 franchises worth... that's 120 classes... 40 groups of 3... if they totally randomized the order in which those classes appear, and only the LaDainian Tomlinson/John Elway type sure bets have names, how would that work?

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:39 PM   #34
Banned

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
[...] If you log on to the Madden forum and see the "Johnny Allstar" class set listed, then are you really going to pass on drafting him when you see his name?
YES. If Johnny Allstar is a QB and you're the Patriots, you're going to draft someone else. Because you're not going to be able to afford paying Johnny Allstar and Tom Brady unless you hurt the team at some other position. Likewise, if he is a defensive linemen and you're the Giants, you'll draft somewhere else. The Giants don't need any more top pick defensive linemen at this point, and they won't for years. So they aren't going to draft one in the first round. They'll draft a wide receiver.

Etc.

Further, if they tweak the cap and the demand these players will have in terms of contracts, you STILL might pass on him.

Also, there are plenty of times that NFL teams know about a player when he is in high school or just starting college. So KNOWING who the best players are isn't that big of a deal. Every season we know there are going to be a few players who have a very good chance of being stars- and often we know about them one year, two years or more before they are available to draft.

I don't really think it would be that big a deal. :shrugs:

Last edited by 94niners; 04-06-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:42 PM   #35
MVP

OVR: 26

Why not have three different types of draft classes? Confused? Let us pick to Import NCAA drafts, Pre-made players, or a better version of the randomized classes of old. Everyone wins?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2009, 08:48 PM   #36
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorious Arc
Why not have three different types of draft classes? Confused? Let us pick to Import NCAA drafts, Pre-made players, or a better version of the randomized classes of old. Everyone wins?
I presume it's a matter of time in the day. This is the approach I'd prefer myself, simply because I hate to get something I want in one area but be denied it elsewhere if it's possible to make everyone happy.

It'd be especially cool if you could select the draft path rather than having to restart each time

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:51 PM   #37
MVP

DLaren's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski

This is my preference. I'm not asking anyone to agree with me. But I am asking you to consider both sides. There are pluses and minuses to both. Personally, I think the pluses for a hand-made draft outweight the minuses.

This discussion is probably pre-mature seeing as how we do not know the specifics yet, but I will say that I have considered both sides, and while this is not a deal-breaker for me, the positives of having hand-crafted rookies does not outweigh the negatives that come with knowing which players will turn out to be stars before you even begin scouting them.

In HeadCoach'09, the top players in each draft were set in stone but none of them were guranteed to be stars. With pre-crafted draft classes you will not be able to visit a single Madden forum without stumbling over a topic title that reveals which of the crafted players are stars and which ones turn out to be busts (it happend daily in the HeadCoach forums).

Those are spoilers my friend, and in my opinion, sports games should not have spoilers. But like I said, there is still more information to come, so this debate is probably all for naught.
College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #2; Currently in Year-12.

College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #1 (retired); 40 seasons completed, 6 NCAA Championships won.

Last edited by DLaren; 04-06-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:52 PM   #38
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
I presume it's a matter of time in the day. This is the approach I'd prefer myself, simply because I hate to get something I want in one area but be denied it elsewhere if it's possible to make everyone happy.

It'd be especially cool if you could select the draft path rather than having to restart each time
good times good times...wait bad times bad times lol I feel your pain
Old 04-06-2009, 09:02 PM   #39
Banned

OVR: 25

I say thumbs up on pre-created rookies, it gives the devs more control over creating busts, gems, studs, and dudds. More variety, We'll have to put more thought into the draft process.

We'll need to rely on the scouting dept, and not get caught up in measureables...just like in real life.

Its actually bonkers when you think about it...sick.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:06 PM   #40
Banned

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotine 1
I say thumbs up on pre-created rookies, it gives the devs more control over creating busts, gems, studs, and dudds. More variety, We'll have to put more thought into the draft process.

We'll need to rely on the scouting dept, and not get caught up in measureables...just like in real life.

Its actually bonkers when you think about it...sick.
I agree in THAT respect, but the only way this is really going to work is if they make like 10'000 rookies and then randomize the name a little. I dont want to see repeats of rookies all the time.

Anyway, it doesnt matter to me really. I usually import my classes from NCAA. I just hope the Madden has a team to prevent repeat rookies.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »