Home

Old 04-07-2009, 08:04 PM   #25
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49
Re: What Can't Be Done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
That is certainly true that you can edit them now - but it is a quite different situation when it says the 1983 49ers or 1986 Giants on the way into your game.

The unfortunate long and short of it is that you or I don't have to see it as a legit reason at all - this is an extremely litigious world today I'm not going to be the one that makes the call to get my company sued for large sums of money. Especially given that this happened so recently: http://sports.ign.com/articles/896/896070p1.html
While you do not owe us an explenation, I am thankful that you have given it to us. I understand the legal standpoint you are comming from and CYA is a very impronant executive decision. As fans we are used to this feature and as you can tell, we were never told why a feature some of s enjoyed has vanished and why it may never return. That is what I wanted to hear in the end. Just as you have said, it's beter than nothing, and nothing is what we ave been given for years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2009, 08:06 PM   #26
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:

* Historic stadiums = fine to create, just a resource issue. The current stadiums take upwards of a full man-month to create based on the detail. We've had other tasks that have taken priority (i.e. new stadiums like Dallas, Indy, etc). I'd love to get more of these in, even as online releases throughout the year.
How about just giving us the ability to make minor changes such as changing from turf to grass (love the dirty jerseys in weather). Teams switch surfaces in the real world so that shouldn't offend the NFL suits? Better yet would be the ability to change a dome stadium to an open-air stadium, even if it's a cookie-cutter style (I hate domes in the nfl)!

Last edited by Steeler99; 04-07-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:08 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
* Historic teams = there's no way to get all or even some of the correct players within the budget we have (I guess we could cut half of our development cost but I don't think anyone would dig that). Putting in the teams but scrambling the rosters doesn't really make it worth the effort on our side IMO (it takes a pretty large amount of time to make a team from scratch - uniforms, rosters, salaries, depth chart, stadium, coaches, tendencies, etc). Even if we ignore all that and choose to add the teams with dummy rosters and allow our fans to edit and/or share them, this is high risk. There will undoubtedly be youtube videos all over the place of people playing games with historic players that we don't have the rights to, which opens the door for all kinds of problems for us.

* Team-related changes (i.e. moving a team in owner mode) = Teams and NFL don't want the marks to be changed. Again, if/when screenshots and videos start leaking out of a team with pink pants in Boise Idaho for example with official Oakland Raiders marks, with Madden being as big as it is means we have a huge target on our back. So we play it safe.

* Historic stadiums = fine to create, just a resource issue. The current stadiums take upwards of a full man-month to create based on the detail. We've had other tasks that have taken priority (i.e. new stadiums like Dallas, Indy, etc). I'd love to get more of these in, even as online releases throughout the year.

* Historic uniforms = same as above. Just because "other games" had them doesn't mean anything nowadays unfortunately. Uniforms just used to be made of a simple rectangular texture, as many folks (like Nza) know in the PC mod community. Unfortunately now they rely on a combination of shaders and textures, and they are run through a much more complex pipeline. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying it's not as easy as you (and I) would hope it would be

forgive me if I dont fully understand. but this appears pointless. creating teams and putting videos on youtube wont cause the NFL to lose money....? the internet has made people stupid.

so, are you saying we will never get a 3 stripe helmet because the NFL is worried about duplication ? thats just dumb. Look,.. I buy this product and like it for the most part. but as a company, I dont know that the legal and creative departments are trying hard enough. the NFL is the number one sport in the country because it has a rich past as well as present. EA needs to acknowledge the past as well. the economy needs to start booming so someone else can take a stab at it......conjecture
Old 04-07-2009, 08:09 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 5

Team specific questions.

1) Is the New Meadowlands Stadium in the game?
2) If not can I still use the Jets logo & uniforms if I just put them in NYC rather than NJ? Same could be said if I wanted to move the Patriots to Providence, Hartford, or Portland, ME since they are called the New England Patriots.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:09 PM   #29
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

That link Ian gave I think explains it all.

Quote:
Although Brown is not named in the game, a "muscular African American player wearing the number 32" appears on the All Browns' Team in the game.

Brown's claim is that because video games had "not been invented yet" during his time as a player, and because agents were banned during his career, he never had the chance to decide whether he wanted to sign away his rights or not.
This is reason enough to not do any type of historic roster or all time teams. I just know that now, if I want to play the 81 49ers against the 01 Patriots, I had better do all of the modifications myself.

Any chance we can turn the salery cap off? That way we can make any canges we would like and have power house teams?
Old 04-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
* Historic teams = there's no way to get all or even some of the correct players within the budget we have (I guess we could cut half of our development cost but I don't think anyone would dig that). Putting in the teams but scrambling the rosters doesn't really make it worth the effort on our side IMO (it takes a pretty large amount of time to make a team from scratch - uniforms, rosters, salaries, depth chart, stadium, coaches, tendencies, etc). Even if we ignore all that and choose to add the teams with dummy rosters and allow our fans to edit and/or share them, this is high risk. There will undoubtedly be youtube videos all over the place of people playing games with historic players that we don't have the rights to, which opens the door for all kinds of problems for us.

* Team-related changes (i.e. moving a team in owner mode) = Teams and NFL don't want the marks to be changed. Again, if/when screenshots and videos start leaking out of a team with pink pants in Boise Idaho for example with official Oakland Raiders marks, with Madden being as big as it is means we have a huge target on our back. So we play it safe.

* Historic uniforms = same as above. Just because "other games" had them doesn't mean anything nowadays unfortunately. Uniforms just used to be made of a simple rectangular texture, as many folks (like Nza) know in the PC mod community. Unfortunately now they rely on a combination of shaders and textures, and they are run through a much more complex pipeline. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying it's not as easy as you (and I) would hope it would be
Ian if we have historic teams it would mean so much to me and all u have to do is overall cause we can edit player number name etc..
and cant u use EA locker like what they did ncaa 09 sio u can all the players name that would be so fun to have like 07 giants vs the 72 dolphins i would want to have bo jackson and marcus allan on the same field and LT And the 86 giants it would be so fun please can u give me a response back on what u think of using ea locker.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:31 PM   #31
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
I don't know what all I'm really able to talk about here given my limited knowledge. Phil Frazier would be able to shine more light on it (if he's allowed) since he deals with our partners directly. The NFL wants the game to reflect their beliefs and standards.
LOL... Now THAT is an interesting thing to push for given the upstanding gentlemen in the league.

(This is not meant as a swipe at you or anything Ian)

The NFL really has their priorities out of order when they won't allow you to show true things that happen IN A GAME but they don't kick certain players out of the league for felonies.

Props to you guys for finding a way to put out the best game possible with such 4$$ backwards priorities from the NFL.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2009, 08:40 PM   #32
Banned

OVR: 13

Quote:
That is certainly true that you can edit them now - but it is a quite different situation when it says the 1983 49ers or 1986 Giants on the way into your game.

The unfortunate long and short of it is that you or I don't have to see it as a legit reason at all - this is an extremely litigious world today I'm not going to be the one that makes the call to get my company sued for large sums of money. Especially given that this happened so recently: http://sports.ign.com/articles/896/896070p1.html
This is exactly what pro evolution soccer does though... FIFA pays a lot of money to have the rights to kits and sponsors etc... but pes gives the user so many options to edit that you can pretty much have every kit, sponsor, player, hell you can even add specific chants to each team so adebayor is sung when arsenal play at home.

Why have you/EA/FIFA not sued konami/PES yet??

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Last Gen »