Home

production based progression

This is a discussion on production based progression within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-07-2009, 02:00 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: production based progression

Quote:
Originally Posted by thudias
Great statistics should not cause your ratings to increase. Training, Playbook Knowledge, Awareness, Potential are all great factors but rushing yards and TD's...no thanks.
I never said other things shouldn't factor in to a guy improving. There has to be some type of reward for having a big year. If a player has a big year in real life he is rewarded with a big contract. A rating increase is the reward for having a big season in madden.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:06 PM   #34
MVP

PacMan3000's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump101
Putting up big stats gives you confidence, which in turns makes you better. Moss is a prime example of this. In Oakland he was trash, with the pats he's a beast. Moss didn't put up big stats because he improved. He is still the same player. He put up big numbers because his confidence changed.

So your a player don't improve because of performance theory don't makes sense. If a player plays well, he gains confidence, which in turn helps him improve.

And a player don't have to be a high rated player to put up big numbers. If you're nice with the stick, it don't matter. You can have a 70 rated running back and put up big numbers.
Not to mention that the more a player plays, and plays well, the more he learns. Adrian Peterson is a great back, but 2 years from now, he will be even better because he will have seen more defenses, seen more schemes, etc.

Now look, I know it's a video game. I know that if I run Peterson for 1600 yards, it's not because he picked up on defensive schemes over the season--it's that I have stick skills. But I'm just telling you that, yes, you improve based on hard work. But you also improve based on what happens on the gridiron--essentially, what you're learning while on the field. I mean, come on, you got guys learning from their successes and failures in film study classes two days after the game ends. You certainly CAN improve based on what happens on the field.

It's why some coaches want their QB's to play from day 1 rather than sit for a year--both have their pluses and minuses, but there's no doubt that the more you play, the more you learn. The more you learn, the better you play (assuming you have the skill set, obviously).

I agree that potential, playing time, mentors, scheme, coaching, etc should all come into play. I haven't yet read a realistic way this can be implemented to where I know and understand WHY my player is improving beyond his stats. The thing for me is...I can correlate positive progression from great stats...it's harder for me to correlate positive progression from, say, the offensive scheme I run. I love the idea, I just want to know how it would be properly implemented and not feel random or cheap.

Last edited by PacMan3000; 04-07-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:14 PM   #35
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Confidence does not equal performance.

All look at it from a purely video game perspective for a moment... if your 70 overall HB runs for 1500 yards, what's he going to run for as an 80 overall HB? That will unbalance franchise mode very quickly.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2009, 02:34 PM   #36
MVP

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski

All look at it from a purely video game perspective for a moment... if your 70 overall HB runs for 1500 yards, what's he going to run for as an 80 overall HB? That will unbalance franchise mode very quickly.
One other side effect is that players tend not to regress because they keep getting better numbers that turn into better ratings and the cycle continues....
Old 04-07-2009, 02:38 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 8

I agree with adembroski and kcarr, some people are looking at this backwards.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:44 PM   #38
Rookie

Quote:

Are you new to to madden or something? Just because a player has a higher rating then another player, doesn't mean he will have better stats. A 79 rb could run for 1200 yds with the steelers. But a 95 rb with the colts might only run for 1061 yds. It depends on the coach, team, other players at that position, injuries, etc..The point is, just because a 70 rb has a break out year with 1500 yds, doesn't mean a 95 rated guy will run for 3000 yds just because he has a higer overall rating. It just doesn't play out that way.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump101
Are you new to to madden or something? Just because a player has a higher rating then another player, doesn't mean he will have better stats. A 79 rb could run for 1200 yds with the steelers. But a 95 rb with the colts might only run for 1061 yds. It depends on the coach, team, other players at that position, injuries, etc..The point is, just because a 70 rb has a break out year with 1500 yds, doesn't mean a 95 rated guy will run for 3000 yds just because he has a higer overall rating. It just doesn't play out that way.
Nice way to put it
Old 04-07-2009, 02:54 PM   #40
Rookie

Quote:
No, he shouldn't. Why should he? If a 70 rated RB runs for 1500 yards, he did it because of his offensive line, not because he's good enough. Having a great offensive line doesn't make you a better runningback, it just makes it easier to operate with the skills you do have.
Well lets just forget about progression altogether than. You should invest in madden 08 not 10. Because this comment could imply to anyone, LT, AD, Brady, Manning, all benefited from a good o-line. Hell, let's just have the o-line progress and nobody else. Would that make you happy?

Using your logic, the teams that already have good players, will be the only teams to make the playoffs in franchise mode, because there would be no room for improvement for the lower rated guys. No matter how you look at it, progression based on stats is a must in some shape or form.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »