Home

production based progression

This is a discussion on production based progression within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-07-2009, 03:59 PM   #49
MVP

OVR: 39
Re: production based progression

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
See, the problem is it's not even a good compromise in that case. What if I wanna bring a QB along on the bench, in the traditional method? He sits on the bench for two years and doesn't gain a point.
Probably the best point you have brought up... Can you still gain attribute points by practicing in 2010?

This is why practice should be a bigger deal > Maybe they have made practicing in franchise mode more meaningful & rewarding...so if you want to groom that QB (but can't play him because you have a solid vet in front of him for another 2 years) you will be able to.

The potential rating would then help indicate if its worth it or not to give him reps in practice..The more you practice, the more the "intangible" attributes mentioned increase, helping his progression.

This is the only practical way someone in MADDEN could progress imo. Practice & Potential would be key for the reserve players you are trying to increase. As for a young player that starts, Playing Time & Production would be heavier factors, but Practice & Potential would also contribute..

Basically player OVR & Progression would work like this:

Developing/Practicing/On Bench/Young > Increases slightly

Practicing/Plays Well/Young > Increases dramatically

Practicing/Plays OK/Young > Rating is Constant

Practicing/Plays Well/Older > Rating is Constant

Practicing/Plays OK/Older > Rating dips slightly

Practicing/Plays Bad/Older > Rating drops dramatically

something like this could work, but really its a combination of everything from what you do with the player on the field, potential, and other attributes..etc.

Last edited by sportzbro; 04-07-2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:01 PM   #50
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump101
Are you new to to madden or something? Just because a player has a higher rating then another player, doesn't mean he will have better stats. A 79 rb could run for 1200 yds with the steelers. But a 95 rb with the colts might only run for 1061 yds. It depends on the coach, team, other players at that position, injuries, etc..The point is, just because a 70 rb has a break out year with 1500 yds, doesn't mean a 95 rated guy will run for 3000 yds just because he has a higer overall rating. It just doesn't play out that way.
Yes, but in this example we are taking one back, one situation. Assuming that he has the same coaches that next year and the line stays in tact that 70 overall runningback should then gain more yards as an 80 overall runningback. He is on the same team in the same situation but now is better
Old 04-07-2009, 04:03 PM   #51
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellisan
Couldn't agree with you more Adembroski. The challenge for EA is to replicate the real way of doing things. It's definitely possible if done right... But there would necessarily be a lot of new aspects. Not knowing the exact OVR for players for awhile... Implementing things like work ethic, the effect of good coaches, and doing the potential rating right.

I am encouraged, however, that in the blog they mentioned the potential rating will be all important. In OOTP terms, you typically know their current ratings (or an approximation) and their potential (or an approximation) and that gives you an idea of how good they could become. In that game, sometimes they're at or near that upper limit well before you actually KNOW it. I hope that potential in this game is something like that.

But either way, simply putting up stats should not drive progression.
See, Hellisan agrees with me, and he's one of the smart guys.

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2009, 04:03 PM   #52
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
So you want franchise to be an alternate reality where Tom Brady's and Kurt Warner's, not to mention Michael Turner's, careers are impossible?
Not at all, in these instances the player would have progressed due to his own the field performance.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:04 PM   #53
Banned

OVR: 7

i like production based performance...so much better then last years progression,.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:04 PM   #54
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORN4CORN
Probably the best point you have brought up... Can you still gain attribute points by practicing in 2010?

This is why practice should be a bigger deal > Maybe they have made practicing in franchise mode more meaningful & rewarding...so if you want to groom that QB (but can't play him because you have a solid vet in front of him for another 2 years) you will be able to.

The potential rating would then help indicate if its worth it or not to give him reps in practice..The more you practice, the more the "intangible" attributes mentioned increase, helping his progression.

This is the only practical way someone in MADDEN could progress imo. Practice & Potential would be key for the reserve players you are trying to increase. As for a young player that starts, Playing Time & Production along with Practice & Potential would be the factors..

Basically:

Player OV & Progression would work like this:

Developing/Practicing/On Bench/Young > Increases slightly

Practicing/Plays Well/Young > Increases dramatically

Practicing/Plays OK/Young > Rating is Constant

Practicing/Plays Well/Older > Rating is Constant

Practicing/Plays OK/Older > Rating dips slightly

Practicing/Plays Bad/Older > Rating drops dramatically

something like this could work, but really its a combination of everything from what you do with the player on the field, potential, and other attributes..etc.
The only problem with this is I don't want to be forced to waste time going into practice mode just to have a solid progression system. Also this goes back to basing progression off of user stick skills which I fundementally disagree with because it takes away any real need for drafting well or making good personel decisions or in any way properly running your NFL franchise.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:12 PM   #55
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

I think progression should be factored by potential etc, but production and playing time, should at least be apart of it IMO.

I'm not talking about huge increases in ratings, but at least some. I don't bother to play the pre-season games as things are now. Why?...because it's pointless. I'd like to have a reason to give my backups some playing time.

Again..not saying progression should be solely based on production. But at least apart of it.

Last edited by Vikes1; 04-07-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2009, 04:14 PM   #56
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump101
You are correct my fellow raven fan. And you are one of them!
Come on now Bump, being a Ravens fan, you should know more than most what it's like to have a player come out of nowhere without prior massive production. Just look at Bart Scott and Adalius Thomas over the past couple of years. It took them a while to develop and get on to the field. But when they did, they were outstanding, it's not like they were bums and slowly got better because they got a few more tackles here or there. They developed due to the coaching staff, time in the system, etc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »