Home

Potential Number Or Letter?

This is a discussion on Potential Number Or Letter? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Which System Would You Prefer?
Letter System 52 80.00%
Number System 13 20.00%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-07-2009, 09:50 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Potential Number Or Letter?

Just got finish reading Josh Looman follow up thread to the blog that was release on Monday. And he asked whether everyone would prefer madden 10 use a letter or number system when showing the grade for potential. So which would you prefer? A letter(A-,B, C+) or a hard number like the one used with the other ratings such as spd, thp, acc, etc.

Me personally, I would rather see a letter system be used. I don't think any scout, coach, GM, or whoever can accurately measure a players potential 100%. I think a letter will give everyone some type of idea as too how a certain player will turn out. But at the same time, it won't be a exact idea as to how they will turn out. If a number is being used, we all will know the exact potential of that player, which would take away the unpredictability and mystery of grooming and improving draft picks IMO.

Anyway, which system would you prefer? A number or a letter system?

Last edited by Bump101; 04-07-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2009, 10:31 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 12
Re: Potential Number Or Letter?

I prefer the letter rather than a numerical rating. It's less exact; even still, I'd rather them not tell us at all, or at least add some flexibility. If there's a potential rating(that's not hidden) that a player will never exceed, then we'll have a situation where there are underachievers, but no overachievers.

If the potential rating is hidden, then it doesn't matter if there are no overachievers, because we won't know what the potential is.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:01 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito78
I prefer the letter rather than a numerical rating. It's less exact; even still, I'd rather them not tell us at all, or at least add some flexibility. If there's a potential rating(that's not hidden) that a player will never exceed, then we'll have a situation where there are underachievers, but no overachievers.

If the potential rating is hidden, then it doesn't matter if there are no overachievers, because we won't know what the potential is.
It would be cool if we could unlock the potential rating, rather then knowing it right off the back. It should be set up where coaches should be given a evaluation rating, and over a certain period of time that player potential rating would be revealed. The higher the evaluation rating, the accurate the player rating would be. But since we are given the potential rating right off the back, I would rather have a letter rating, instead of a number.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:55 AM   #4
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Letter system. For me, no question. But I prefer it to just be A,B,C, etc. Not A+,A,A-.

I'm still holding out hope will hear hiding this rating is an option, for the User team.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:16 PM   #5
Rookie

bump
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #6
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

I can't vote for "nither." As said before in that forum, we shouldn't know it at all.

For example, if you knew Ryan Leaf or Alex Smith were going to be busts, wouldn't you just eat that and draft a QB again the next year? Heck, wouldn't you just try and try and trade him away for another QB that won't suck so you don't have to waste your time on them?

Last edited by PGaither84; 04-09-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:38 PM   #7
Rookie

red butler's Arena

OVR: 3

I'd rather not know at all. It would be cool if you got hints like "Player X has an amazing off-season conditioning program", "Player Y is the first one to practice and the last one to leave", or "Player Z has been camping in the film room"

To hint that a guy may not reach his potential; "Andre Smith showed up out of shape for the combine, he may not have the work ethic to be great"

Of course the scouts would have to be wrong sometimes.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:45 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by red butler
I'd rather not know at all. It would be cool if you got hints like "Player X has an amazing off-season conditioning program", "Player Y is the first one to practice and the last one to leave", or "Player Z has been camping in the film room"

To hint that a guy may not reach his potential; "Andre Smith showed up out of shape for the combine, he may not have the work ethic to be great"

Of course the scouts would have to be wrong sometimes.
I like this. Other things that could be added in like a TE or other Atheltic positions and the scouts tell you that he played BBall in highschool or college. This could hint that he has great hands/atheltic ability

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »