Home

Why Dont Zone Defenders Play The Run?

This is a discussion on Why Dont Zone Defenders Play The Run? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-08-2009, 09:28 PM   #9
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Why Dont Zone Defenders Play The Run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotine 1
I hear you, I understand what your saying. It makes sense...

Here's my problem, man defense is broken. It does not work. So, I call combo coverages that mix Man, Zone, and blitz packages. This way I can get help where I need it, try to pressure where I want to, and let my best cover guys just cover...

Ok, why in the heck does the outside LB, and the LCB stand perfectly still & watch the ball carrier come right at them? They don't drop into coverage and play the zone I called, they don't read the play and react (which is apart of zone responsibility...thats why they have help deep)...

I hear you, trust me... I do. But, if you saw what I just saw...you'd say hell naw...

And to make matters worse they both failed to even make contact to the runner. Nevermind man, I hear you though...you got a point.
I feel you, I havent played the game in so long so I was responding on fundumentals instead of what is actually happing in the game...Hopefully it will be fix tho with the new db interactions
Old 04-08-2009, 09:32 PM   #10
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Do you play "Sim" Guillotine? I don't have too much of a problem with man/zone when playing people in sim games. tourny style on the other hand is a whole other mess alltogether.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:35 PM   #11
MVP

PGaither84's Arena

OVR: 49

Also, if Zone players played the run hard, they'd be even more susceptible to the play action. I agree there is a problem in Madden, but the zone is already weak in nature to the run anyways. i hate how people just play cover 4 with show blitz to pack everyone in the box. this way they are packed in to stopr the run and are in zone to stop any pass play. Really annoying. Dives should kill heavy zone plays as the D shouldn't aggressively attack the LOS.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2009, 09:46 PM   #12
Banned

IndyColts2's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotine 1
Why don't the DB's who are facing the QB (watching the handoff) come up and run support?

They stand there and wait for the runner to cross the LOS, then they react to the ball carrier.

Why don't the defenders close on the play and finish?

Why is there no real pursuit by the defense?

Aghh, nothing works the way its meant to defensively...

Why is the Nickel so effective vs the run?

...and when did the LB's forget to get wide and cover the flats?

Don't mean to rant, but jeez...

I just played the first game of Madden in like a month tonight.
No the real question is why do the defenders in zone coverage just stand there even when a receiver is right next to him?

The defense is playing cover three in this picture. Corners and safeties have deep thirds. Outside linebackers should have curl to flats, inside should be playing the hole. The outside linebacker in the bottom left of the screen should be moving over to the X receiver (yes the A receiver will be open also but i am getting to that). The corner at the left should be helping the safety out with receiver A which means the safety should also be cheating over to receiver A's side more than he is.

X is way to open and so is A. In zone, the players don't guard anyone who comes into his zone, they stand there no matter what. They should atleast acknowledge the receiver when he comes into the zone, but I have seen countless times (even in man coverage) a receiver doing a curl route and the corner just stands behind him assuming the QB won't pass to hm. The corner needs to step up and stay beside the receiver.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:47 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
Do you play "Sim" Guillotine? I don't have too much of a problem with man/zone when playing people in sim games. tourny style on the other hand is a whole other mess alltogether.

Yeah, I only play sim...this happened during a user (me) vs CPU game though. I was playing on All-Pro/hardcore...
Old 04-08-2009, 09:52 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyColts2
No the real question is why do the defenders in zone coverage just stand there even when a receiver is right next to him?

The defense is playing cover three in this picture. Corners and safeties have deep thirds. Outside linebackers should have curl to flats, inside should be playing the hole. The outside linebacker in the bottom left of the screen should be moving over to the X receiver (yes the A receiver will be open also but i am getting to that). The corner at the left should be helping the safety out with receiver A which means the safety should also be cheating over to receiver A's side more than he is.

X is way to open and so is A. In zone, the players don't guard anyone who comes into his zone, they stand there no matter what. They should atleast acknowledge the receiver when he comes into the zone, but I have seen countless times (even in man coverage) a receiver doing a curl route and the corner just stands behind him assuming the QB won't pass to hm. The corner needs to step up and stay beside the receiver.
Good points!
Old 04-08-2009, 09:54 PM   #15
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:

yea the defenders need to acknowledge players when they enter their zone up until the player is passed off to another zone, instead of just standing there and looking at the guy like
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2009, 10:02 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:

Yes the OLB should be playing to the outside covering X if he is running the play correctly. The thing is every play should not be executed correctly by every defender. I am not saying that madden does it right, they dont, but you shouldn't expect perfect execution on every play. The defense is in trouble here no matter what they do if the QB has time to get the pass off. Especially if the center gets back and picks up the rusher coming from the outside. They gambled and sent 5. Also they are playing a cover 3 meaning 3 guys covering the deep part of the field. This leaves 2 LBs and one DB covering the shallow part of the field.

This means those three have to cover X one one side which takes the one backer out of the equation even if he gets over there. B who will occupy the guy in the middle and if he was smart would be setting up in that hole in the zone where he is wide open. LB if he runs any route that does not take him deeper than he is which will either take up the third guy of flood the middle. And then also the o receiver off to the right who isn't seen. They are going to leave holes underneath running such a play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »