Home

Why Dont Zone Defenders Play The Run?

This is a discussion on Why Dont Zone Defenders Play The Run? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-08-2009, 08:33 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 25
Why Dont Zone Defenders Play The Run?

Why don't the DB's who are facing the QB (watching the handoff) come up and run support?

They stand there and wait for the runner to cross the LOS, then they react to the ball carrier.

Why don't the defenders close on the play and finish?

Why is there no real pursuit by the defense?

Aghh, nothing works the way its meant to defensively...

Why is the Nickel so effective vs the run?

...and when did the LB's forget to get wide and cover the flats?

Don't mean to rant, but jeez...

I just played the first game of Madden in like a month tonight.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Why Dont Zone Defenders Play The Run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotine 1
Why don't the DB's who are facing the QB (watching the handoff) come up and run support?

They stand there and wait for the runner to cross the LOS, then they react to the ball carrier.

Why don't the defenders close on the play and finish?

Why is there no real pursuit by the defense?

Aghh, nothing works the way its meant to defensively...

Why is the Nickel so effective vs the run?

...and when did the LB's forget to get wide and cover the flats?

Don't mean to rant, but jeez...

I just played the first game of Madden in like a month tonight.
As a former DB, technically that is what your suppose to do when in a zone coverage, if it was man coverage and the DB wasnt assigned a receiver than he should be bitting on the run but im sure Madden does it somewhat unrealistic with reaction time, hopefully it would be fix if there is such a problem(havent played Madden since Aug lol)

Last edited by Jukeman; 04-08-2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:47 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 35

Sometimes they dont even do anything at all.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:53 PM   #4
Showtime

Jukeman's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrville
you mean like just stand there untill the LOS is broke? Thats how you play zone lol you defend a section of the field depending on what type of zone coverage you are in
Old 04-08-2009, 08:56 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by juk34man
you mean like just stand there untill the LOS is broke? Thats how you play zone lol you defend a section of the field depending on what type of zone coverage you are in
No man, in madden sometimes when im running the ball, the Safety or corner will just stand there looking straight ahead and doesn't move till its already too late.

Last edited by Derrville; 04-08-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2009, 08:58 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrville

Or when they do react....they run in the opposite direction...

I don't want to even get started...
Old 04-08-2009, 09:19 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by juk34man
As a former DB, technically that is what your suppose to do when in a zone coverage, if it was man coverage and the DB wasnt assigned a receiver than he should be bitting on the run but im sure Madden does it somewhat unrealistic with reaction time, hopefully it would be fix if there is such a problem(havent played Madden since Aug lol)

I hear you, I understand what your saying. It makes sense...

Here's my problem, man defense is broken. It does not work. So, I call combo coverages that mix Man, Zone, and blitz packages. This way I can get help where I need it, try to pressure where I want to, and let my best cover guys just cover...

Ok, why in the heck does the outside LB, and the LCB stand perfectly still & watch the ball carrier come right at them? They don't drop into coverage and play the zone I called, they don't read the play and react (which is apart of zone responsibility...thats why they have help deep)...

I hear you, trust me... I do. But, if you saw what I just saw...you'd say hell naw...

And to make matters worse they both failed to even make contact to the runner. Nevermind man, I hear you though...you got a point.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:25 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 20

As a defensive back your assignment is generally pass first, run second. Therefore they should be for the most part playing their pass coverage (guarding their man or their zone) until the back crosses the line of scrimmage and the pass becomes impossible. If as soon as the ball was handed off the dbs start running toward the line of scrimmage it can really open up play trick plays and even play action.

I agree some DBs, especially strong safeties, do play the run a lot harder than this. I personally think there needs to be an "aggressiveness against the run" rating which determines how often they do this. Players with high ratings in that area would be a big asset against the run but very suseptable to play action and trick plays. On the other hand, players with lower ratings in this area would be more likely to not give up big plays but wouldn't be nearly as much help against the run.

Also, the coach should be able to set aggressiveness against the run for each position which while not overriding the player's rating, will add to their tendencies or help to moderate their tendencies.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »