Home

Will Madden 10 Support Route Based Passing / Timed Passing Patterns

This is a discussion on Will Madden 10 Support Route Based Passing / Timed Passing Patterns within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #33
MVP

OVR: 21
Re: Will Madden 10 Support Route Based Passing / Timed Passing Patterns

Found the thread. LBzRule posted some godd vids in this thread showing what I am talking about

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-thread-6.html

It shows what happenes when you throw the ball before the WR makes a cut.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:33 PM   #34
All Star

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRxAmazing
This is how MOST double moves should look. Within the first minute of the video, you'll see quite a few. And this is one of the best route-running WR's ever. Unfortunately, I'm not sure why the person who made the video chose the song he did...

Ian, take a look.
Great vid. Marvin is the master of the stutter and go. But the double move in the OP video is also real.

There are many types of double moves.

It helps when you have the greatest QB of all time.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:39 PM   #35
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
Found the thread. LBzRule posted some godd vids in this thread showing what I am talking about

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-thread-6.html

It shows what happenes when you throw the ball before the WR makes a cut.
I'm sorry, but you can. LBZrules examples are bad. He's throwing the ball early, but he's 'firing' it in there, so of course it's going to be thrown incorrectly. It wasn't 'timed' properly. If he wanted to hit the player in the route, then he need to throw it softer. And I'm telling you I started the passing motion (holding the button) well before TO made his cut. What LBZRules is showing is just bad passing.

I just recorded some examples. Give me about another 30 minutes and I'll post them. Can someone PM me or post how I embed the videos in the posts? Thanks!

Last edited by Valdarez; 04-10-2009 at 11:02 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2009, 11:38 PM   #36
Pro

OVR: 10

I would love this feature. I can't tell you how many times i've had a WR running a post and when I throw it to them right before they make a cut, the QB throws the ball as if the route is a streak. Of course theres always a defender on that streak waiting to break up my pass.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:07 AM   #37
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

Alright, here's the video. Took longer than I thought it would. First video I've done on the new Mac. There are several examples of passing before the receiver has made their cut. Keep in mind that you are actually pressing the button before you see movement by the QB as well, so it's probably even just a little bit earlier than it appears with regards to the users action.

As you can see from the video, APF2K8 clearly supports route based passing. This is what I'm hoping they can add to Madden 10.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:41 AM   #38
MVP

OVR: 55

Yep! Can't go back to anything else after playing this way.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:40 AM   #39
MVP

OVR: 21

Valdarez. You are throwing the ball a second before the WR makes his cut in those routes. Thats exceptable and well known about AP2K8. You are merely throwing to the spot a tad early where the play called in the huddle is suppose to go.

You cannot discount the vids that LB posted as "bad" when they clearly demonstrate the point we were trying to make in that thread.

In Madden you can throw the ball at ANY point and a WR wll respond to the throw and try to catch it which is not realistic and not "route based" In AP2K8 the WR's are not aware the ball was being thrown and why should they be ? Thats not the play that was called in the huddle. So in Madden if a post route is what the WR is suppose to run, as soon as you hike the ball you can throw it to him and the WR will turn and look for the ball. The post just became a hitch magicly.

The ONLY way a WR would know the QB is gonna throw the ball early and the ONLY way a QB would know a WR is gonna be looking for that throw is if they both are aware of a predetermined route you run if the D gives you a look that makes THAT route a better option to run. Its why we have a hot call at the LOS by the QB and option routes that have no audible to alert the D but the QB and the WR have to be on the same page about what they are seeing else bad pass or int.

Ap2k8 has the hot calls but no option routes. Madden has/had both.

You negate a big part of the defenses game plan of mounting a pass rush if you simply let the offense chuck the ball to WR's who are suppose to be running deep routes.

I make a blitz call because you have been burning me deep. I send the house so you dont have time to make that deep throw BUT you are given a easy out by chucking the ball to WRs who have no earthly business knowing the ball is gonna be thrown based on the play called in the huddle. That aint right. It negates stratey and promotes the gameplay you see in Madden Nation. "I dont have to worry about that blitz or any defense for that matter, Ill just rocket catch the ball and sprinkle in some FB dives to keep it honest." LOL
Old 04-11-2009, 08:15 AM   #40
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

Quote:
Valdarez. You are throwing the ball a second before the WR makes his cut in those routes. Thats exceptable and well known about AP2K8. You are merely throwing to the spot a tad early where the play called in the huddle is suppose to go.
Right, and that's what I'm referring to as the 'Route Based Passing', the ability to throw the ball before the player makes their cut / slant and still hit them in their route. Madden does not support this capability, and I'm really hoping to see it in Madden 10.

Quote:
You cannot discount the vids that LB posted as "bad" when they clearly demonstrate the point we were trying to make in that thread.
They are bad if the goal is to display the ability to throw the ball prior to a cut / slant and still make a catch. LBRulez fires the pass in there, basically throwing a bad pass based on the timing of the route, giving the illusion that it doesn't work. I didn't read the entire thread as it was very long, but maybe we shouldn't confuse the point of that thread with this one, because by the sound of it, they seem to have different purposes.

I stated earlier that you could throw to a receiver before they make their cut / slant, and you pointed to the LBRulez vids as evidence that it couldn't be done in APF2K8. I then showed a video where I was throwing prior to the cut / slant and completing a pass (The NSL SuperBowl) and you said I wasn't throwing before the receiver made the cut / slant, once again implying that it's not possible. We now have another video that clearly shows beyond a doubt that it can be done.

After reading the rest of your reply now, I don't think you disagree with me. Maybe our terminology was just off? Semantic differences? Perhaps we are saying the same thing, just a different way?

Quote:
In Madden you can throw the ball at ANY point and a WR wll respond to the throw and try to catch it which is not realistic and not "route based". In AP2K8 the WR's are not aware the ball was being thrown and why should they be ? Thats not the play that was called in the huddle. So in Madden if a post route is what the WR is suppose to run, as soon as you hike the ball you can throw it to him and the WR will turn and look for the ball. The post just became a hitch magicly.

The ONLY way a WR would know the QB is gonna throw the ball early and the ONLY way a QB would know a WR is gonna be looking for that throw is if they both are aware of a predetermined route you run if the D gives you a look that makes THAT route a better option to run. Its why we have a hot call at the LOS by the QB and option routes that have no audible to alert the D but the QB and the WR have to be on the same page about what they are seeing else bad pass or int.
Agreed, this is what I hate about Madden's Passing mechanics (one of the things). I can't throw the ball as the receiver makes their cut slant. If I do, then the ball will be thrown based on the direction of the receiver, so if he hasn't made his cut / slant into the pattern, it will more than likely just be a straight pass. This makes it very difficult to hit the tight windows in the zone coverage, and, at least for me, greatly reduces the enjoyment of the passing game. There's a great feel to throwing a ball before the receiver makes their cut/slant, switching to the receiver as they are coming out of the cut/slant, and making the catch.

Quote:
You negate a big part of the defenses game plan of mounting a pass rush if you simply let the offense chuck the ball to WR's who are suppose to be running deep routes.
Agreed, and this is a very good point, and a side effect of Madden's current implementation that I had not considered from a defensive perspective. I can't imagine trying to run a zone coverage defense if you could just hit a receiver anywhere at any time and not based on the route they were supposed to be running. This has more than likely been one of the primary reasons they had to 'beef up' their players to support zone coverage properly in past versions of the game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »